Sunday, April 3, 2022

Sunday Snippet: X Out the Date

Nothing like starting April with snow flurries and chilly weather. Prom weekend for the high schoolers ended up being very brisk. Brrrr.

Had a very busy work week but I made a ton of progress on a difficult edit. It's something kind of new for me and I'm thoroughly enjoying the project. Had a couple of great calls for some possible new work also. All in all a productive week.

Had a decent week of viewing television also. I'm more or less back on my regular schedule, which makes me happy.

Caught two episodes of Silent Witness. I'm very much liking the new season. Clarissa is fast becoming a favorite and they're not shoving the new guy in my face all the time. All in all, I'm still loving this show.

Finished up season twenty-three of Classic Who and started season twenty-four. I'd forgotten the weird way they morphed from Six to Seven. I actually might not have seen that one. Almost finished with the original run and then I have to decide if I'm going to start a rewatch of New Who. I might wait a while.

Watched two more episodes of Aliens in Alaska. I have one more to watch then it's on to something new. I might dive into something more space-related again. I'm not sure yet.

Enjoyed two more episodes of Muppets Now. I should have this finished up this week then I'll have to decide what to watch next. I might dive into the Marvelverse. I've been wanting to watch Hawkeye.

Caught two episodes of Harrow. Man, this season is a roller coaster. I have no clue what the hell is going on with Maxine but I'm not liking it. I love, love, love the kind of new dynamic with Fairley and I like the new assistant. I also enjoy the whole Daniel and Grace being unable to find their footing. Good stuff.

Watched an episode of Peak Practice and enjoyed it. I'll have this season finished up this week and should be ready to start season eight.

I started a new MasterClass with Neil deGrasse Tyson. I'm enjoying the way he explains things. Should be a very interesting class.

Finished the first season of Young Wallander and started the second. I gotta say I shouldn't have been surprised with how the first season ended but I was. That said, I loved the opening episode of season two. Kurt is a magnet for strange cases.

Enjoyed two episodes of Classic Rugrats. One of my favorites with Grandpa moving out followed by the legend of Satchmo made me really happy. One of the best things about the original show is how much grown-ups could enjoy the episodes right along with the little ones.

Caught two episodes of Chicago Med and, sadly, Will is beginning to annoy the crap out of me. Ethan is probably my favorite doctor even if he's a bit rigid sometimes. Not sure I like where they're taking April, but I'll hold judgment on that front for now.

Watched an episode of Snoopy in Space: The Search for Life and I'm down to having one more left. I'll have to decide what to watch next once I finish this series.

I started a new mystery, Loch Ness, and enjoyed the first episode. This one could go either way so I'm hoping it keeps my attention.

Also enjoyed another episode of Blue Heelers and liked it. I do not enjoy Monica but this one seemed to set up some stuff for the future so that might be fun to watch.

Began the Ready Room episodes for the second season of Star Trek: Discovery. Rather enjoyed the first one and I'll look forward to watching more.

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from X Out the Date, a novella where the couple has to spend a week apart and they come to realize how much they want to take the next step in their relationship.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Preston Ayl and Elliot Newman are on the verge of making a strong commitment. Attending conferences on opposite ends of the country, the week away from each other is proving more difficult than either expects and they're crossing out the date until they're back together.

And a snippety peek…

Elliot glanced at his phone, expecting a call from Preston.

Alex rolled his eyes. "Dude, you've got it bad. You've only been apart a day or two and you're jonesing for her like a junkie." He leaned back and spread his arms out. "We're out, watching a match. Enjoy the freedom." He snagged a wing and dipped it ranch dressing.

Elliot cocked his head. "I already have freedom. Have I missed a hockey match? Or a practice?" He shook his head. "Preston doesn't try to shackle me." He loved having someone who had outside interests like he did.

Alex nodded. "True. And she never would. We're not built that way."

An accurate statement. The Ayls were very close-knit but also supportive of pursuing interests and doing their own thing. Elliot didn't have a point of reference for families like theirs. His consisted of his parents and a cat. No one else. Preston and Alex had relatives sprawling all over the state.

His phone pinged and he scooped it off the table. "That's Preston. I'm gonna take this outside."

Alex waved him off. "Yeah, yeah. I'll be out when the game's over."

Elliot elbowed his way through the crowd at the bar. "Preston? Hey, give me a sec." He made it to the door and exited out into the cold night air. "How did today's seminar go?"

She groaned. "It went okay. Our instructor was one of those types that think so highly of themselves they lose sight of the reason they're teaching the class."

Elliot winced. "Bleh. Rough day then." He shivered against a gust of wind. "At least tell me the weather is terrific. It's cold in Maine." Ducking between the bar and a bakery, he huddled against the building.

She chuckled. "High-eighties and sunny earlier. Now it's breezy and about seventy-five. Very comfortable." Her voice lowered. "I wish you were here."

He did, too. And not only for the spectacular climate. He missed her. A lot.

"Are you outside? It sounds windy."

He barely kept his teeth from chattering. "I am. Alex and I had dinner at a sports bar and were watching the hockey match."

Preston tsked. "Way more fun than the quick meal I grabbed on the way up to my room. We're doing a mock event in about thirty minutes. It'll be a late night for us."

He gave a nod. "At least it'll be warm." Unlike his location.

Alex exited the bar and Elliot waved him over. "Your cousin says hello."

Alex snorted. "I did not. But I am now." He shuddered. "Talk and walk, man. It's too cold to not be on skis or a board out here."

Preston laughed. "That's my cue to X out the date and let you go. Short day tomorrow. Text me when you're done with your client meeting."

Elliot agreed. "Will do. Love you."

Preston signed off. "Love you, too."

He pocketed his phone and jogged to catch up with Alex. They made a beeline for the hotel and headed for their respective rooms. Elliot turned the television on to the sports highlights but didn't pay much attention to the screen.

Instead, he pondered the next step with Preston. He wanted them to move in together. Except … they each needed space and neither of their current abodes had enough for both on a continuous basis.

She had a change of clothes and some toiletries at his apartment and he had the same at hers.

His lips twitched. "Poor Alex almost had a stroke when he recognized Preston's shoes sitting by the door." Not that there had been any meaning behind her leaving them there—she'd brought them over when they hiked one of the trails close to Elliot's apartment.

Or course, Alex promptly took credit for matching them up—once he got over the initial shock of not being informed immediately of the couple status.

Elliot rolled to his side. "What a night that was."

Preston had planned to stop by after her shift at the hospital to watch a movie. Elliot tried to get rid of Alex, but he wouldn't budge from the couch, claiming he couldn't possibly miss the end of the snowboarding competition. Elliot shook his head and considered sending Preston an advanced warning text.

By the time he had the message ready to send, she knocked on the door.

Elliot answered and gave her a quick side-eye when she entered.

Alex jumped up. "Presto? Whatever are you doing here?" He couldn't quite pull off the innocent act.

Preston narrowed her eyes. "Are we twelve again? No one has called me Presto since then."

Alex smirked. "You mean when you smashed Dougie's hand with the crochet mallet?" He shrugged. "You like me better than him so I can get away with it."

She arched a brow. "Don't bet on it, Alex." Her gaze met Elliot's. "Cat's out of the bag then?"

Elliot nodded. "He spotted your shoes."

Preston rolled her eyes. "Of course he did. He was with me when I bought them." She dropped her bag on the table then faced Alex. "You've had your thrilling moment of victory. Can Elliot and I go to dinner now?"

Alex gave her a wide grin. "Sure. As long as I can come along to chaperone." He waggled his eyebrows.

Preston tsked. "You're welcome to come along, but I don't plan to hump him in the middle of the restaurant." She flicked a glance toward Elliot. "What about you? Any grand ideas of getting hot and heavy between the appetizer and main course?"

Alex held up his hands. "Okay, okay. I get it. You can manage without me." He headed for the front door. "I'll take my leave and you two can enjoy your meal in peace." After twisting the knob, he shot Preston another smirk. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do."

Preston barked out a laugh. "Nothing like leaving the field wide open, Alex. There's not much you won't do."

He snickered. "I know." The door closed behind him.

Elliot shook his head. "I'm sorry about that, but he's your cousin."

Preston snorted. "True. Which means I'm stuck with him. You choose to be friends with him, though."

Elliot grasped her hips. "Yep. And I met you because he is my friend." His head lowered. "We should give him a pass … just this once."

Preston lifted her chin. "If you say so." Her lips meshed with his and Alex didn't get another thought from either of them the rest of the night.

I'm enjoying the concept of this story and showing the couple at a turning point where they evaluate their relationship from opposite ends of the country.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin 

No comments:

Post a Comment