Sunday, June 12, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Along the Shore (a South of the Border novella)

We had some rain that gave us mild temperatures, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't mind hot weather but there's something about being able to be outside with a nice breeze and sunshine that makes me happy.

Solid work week. Had a few small projects that I cleared off my desk and had a new one arrive in my inbox. My plates seem to be spinning nicely at the moment.

Good week of viewing. I did the same thing as last week and only tried for one round of my usual streaming services. I might be adding one more to the list after talking to my sibling. He made some good recommendations.

Watched another episode of The Snoopy Show. This one had a vignette on using the library and happiness being a good book. I feel that sentiment all the way to my toes.

Caught another episode of Signora Volpe. I love this show. I truly hope there will be another series because there's only one episode left.

Viewed the first of a two-part Silent Witness and ended up being very intrigued. Very much looking forward to the second part of this one.

Enjoyed the second part of a Classic Who arc. It's nice to see a familiar face from a previous incarnation. The third part will be the end of this season, I think. I'm not sure if there's another one after this. If not, I'll be starting a new show before I dive into New Who.

Watched another episode of Most Terrifying Places in America. I'm fascinated by the legend and lore revealed in the sequences. I'm not sure I'd be cool with trying to stay somewhere that's known for being haunted but I love hearing about the stories.

Caught another episode of The Mandalorian. Gotta say I'm thoroughly enjoying this show. The pacing is excellent and I'm excited to see what happens next.

Viewed another episode of Harrow and I truly dislike the new boss. I'm also not thrilled with Grace's ex being in town. If there's another season and things get really convoluted, I'm done. As much as I love the cases, I don't want the other drama.

Enjoyed another episode of Blue Heelers. I liked seeing how another country handles the wildfires that tend to rage at the worst possible time. Not really into the whole taking the hospital hostage thing, mainly because the two characters are a little too over the top for me. We'll see how the second part goes this week.

Started a new MasterClass with Roxane Gay. I'm very much looking forward to her lessons.

Watched another Babysitter's Club and thoroughly enjoyed the episode. It's nice to see more of the sibling relationships and the way the parents interact.

Viewed two more episodes of Classic Rugrats. One was a favorite and the other was one I thoroughly enjoy.

Caught another episode of Chicago Med and discovered something I didn't know about one of the Chicago Fire characters. Good information. Also can't wait for Nat to discover she's being completely gaslit by her new fiancé. Here's hoping the fallout from that doesn't do too much damage.

Started the PassionFlix movie Tangled and I'm having fun watching it. I didn't know if I'd like this one but I'm so glad I'm watching.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Along the Shore, a South of the Border novella featuring one character on the run and the other sent to find her.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Vail Ericsson, a freelance security expert and skilled tracker, can find anyone for a price. But when he trails Ellery Quantrell to Mexico, he discovers she's not an escapee but a target and his role changes from pursuer to protector, whether Ellery wants him as a shield or not.

And a snippety peek…

Kiernan Darby hooked the trailer up to the rig in front of it. "Okay. You're good to go." She double-checked the pin, making sure it held true when the truck eased slowly down the lane.

The brake lights flashed, the vehicle stopped and the owner of the thirty-five foot sail boat stuck his head out the window. "Hey, I've got a yacht that's seen better days. Think you could do your primo reno job on it?" He added a mile-wide grin, full of straight white teeth.

Kiernan's lips turned up at the flirtatious attempt. Norman Honeywell had serious good looks, but her heart belonged to someone else.

She shook her head. "Nah. I'm strictly a sailing kind of gal." She glanced toward Lars Rademacher, her business partner and rekindled flame, and winked.

Lars stepped up behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist.

Norm got the hint and tossed off a casual wave. "Just thought I'd ask. Take care, now." He chugged down the sandy lane and pulled out onto the highway, disappearing from sight.

Kiernan leaned back into Lars. "Worried I'd be tempted?" At one time, yachts were her specialty. A very long time ago.

Lars hummed against her ear. "About the boat … or him?" His tongue flicked over her lobe, sending shivers along her skin.

Kiernan turned so his hands could slide down to cup her ass. "The boat, moron. He didn't stand a chance." She lifted her chin and gave Lars a quick, hard kiss.

She tried to step back, but Lars hauled her close, snagged her lips with his and plundered her mouth. Kier forgot about everything but the white-hot flame Lars ignited.

~:~

Lars had more concern about Romeo's interest in Kier than his question about the yacht. But it might not hurt to run a check on the guy. After using Kiernan as bait to lure a dangerous enemy out into the open, Lars wouldn't take any more chances than he had to.

They played it a bit safe. Yeah, the top man in EDGE had finally been eliminated, but Lars had spent enough time as a covert operative he'd need a calculator to tally up his enemy list. He could name a dozen off the top of his head.

Kier tore her mouth from his and nudged his forehead. "Less thinking, more kissing." Her teeth caught his lower lip and she nipped playfully, pulling him back to the task at hand.

Lars focused on her. The play of her skin under his fingertips, the way her eyes slid shut when he groaned against her ear and the splay of her hands when they smoothed down his back to cup his ass. He growled, wanting to have her right there on the patio, but they'd done that yesterday, on the chaise between the house and her shop, when she'd … a shudder tore through Lars. Kiernan's mouth created magic, no matter where she put her lips.

He swept his arm under her legs and lifted her, laughing when she kicked her flip flops off, not caring where they landed. Her mouth hit his, and the kiss went from zero to scorching in under a second. He started toward the house and made it halfway when his phone rang. Juggling Kier, he fished it out of his pocket. He didn't give the number out to more than a handful of people so when the number came up as unavailable he had a moment of concern. Setting Kier down, he let the call go to voicemail. He kept an arm around her waist then listened to the message when it showed ready. Very brief, the call had a return number and a code word—Apollo. He glanced toward Kier and frowned, following her into the house when she grabbed his hand and tugged him forward.

It had been longer than five years since the Greek gods had been used as security codes.

Someone from his old life, but out of the field, had just reached out.

Although Ellery and Vail are the main characters, Kiernan and Lars do feature in this story and I love their introduction to the tale.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment