Sunday, September 11, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Elective Campaign

Had a fairly busy week between work and the new venture I'm putting together. The play I'm editing is so much fun. It's deep and twisty and bonkers in the best possible way. I hope I have another chance to edit more plays.

Had a pretty good week trying to catch up to my regular viewing schedule. I'm not quite there yet because other things have been pulling my attention away from screen time. Also, my sleep schedule is all messed up at the moment. Not sure why, but probably hormone-related. Fun.

I watched an episode of Peak Practice and should finish up season eight this week. From what I've reviewed, seasons nine through twelve go a little off the normal path and dive deeper into soap opera territory. I'm okay with that.

Caught two more MasterClass lessons with Roxane Gay. I truly love listening to her speak. The first one focused on engaging with you readers and I ended up getting a lot out of that one. The second lesson noted the importance of having a day job for stability and I also appreciated what she had to say about that topic.

Started The Umbrella Academy and, so far, I love it. I'm two episodes in and I like the dynamic between the characters and I'm excited to see what comes next. Looking forward to diving deep on this one.

Enjoyed the season finale of The Ready Room. Pretty sure Wil takes over for the next one and I'll look forward to his take on Discovery.

Watched another episode of Chicago Med and I have a weird feeling I know where things will end up going with Will and Asher. Fairly sure this might end up being my last season. I do love anything with Dr. Charles, Maggie, and Miss Goodwin. I also love Ethan. We'll see what happens by the end of the season.

Caught another Batman: The Animated Series. I loved Poison Ivy's introduction in this series and also seeing more of Harvey Dent before things happen with him.

Enjoyed a little more of Resisting Roots but didn't get to finish the movie yet.

Watched another Ted Lasso. I'm definitely a fan. Keeley cracks me up and I love where things are going with her. Ted kind of broke my heart yet made me so happy when he benched Jamie. I truly hope there's some kind of redeeming arc for him because I literally loath him at the moment.

Caught another Agatha Christie Hour and thoroughly enjoyed it. I like the non-mystery aspect of this show because there's still a lot of suspense, which I love.

Started season twenty of Silent Witness and quite enjoyed the opening first part. Looking forward to finishing this one up next week.

Almost finished with season twenty-five of Classic Who. The greatest show in the galaxy will hopefully end on a great note for the season. I'm pretty sure that brings me close to the end of the classic episodes. Not sure if I'll jump to New Who or switch to a different genre for a while.

Watched another episode of Strangest Things. I like diving into the mysterious objects they feature and learning new information. The cast of experts is very diverse and I love that.

Caught another episode of The Book of Boba Fett. Loved the pickup from when Fennic went down in The Mandalorian. I seriously love this show.

Enjoyed another episode of Only Murders in the Building. There's so much awkwardness that is played to perfection by the three main cast members. I'm excited to see what happens in the next episode.

Watched an episode of Blue Heelers and ended up enjoying it a lot. Wayne actually ended up being a fairly decent guy in this one and that's not always the case.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Elective Campaign, a novella that follows the characters as they navigate a new job and campaign for mayor with a blossoming relationship.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Mac is running for reelection and needs a logistical planner on his roster to win. Yancy has the training and background but she presents a problem … Mac is very attracted to her. They fight the pull but give in, and once it's discovered, he might lose more than the election.

And a snippety peek…

Yancy pulled into the hotel parking lot. "Well, I'm glad they had a room available. Nice view of the rivers." The three-story building sat on the side where one river formed from two merging together.

Viv got out and turned around in a circle. "I like it. So many trees. Can you imagine what this'll look like in the fall?" She popped the back door open. "Just an overnight bag? Or full suitcase?"

Yancy pondered a moment. "For now, let's go with overnight bags. We'll have to dig for suitcases." They entered the lobby and quickly got checked in.

Once they were in the room, Yancy settled on one of the beds. "So, you're really interested in staying?" She had to admit a bit of a good vibe if they did.

Viv plopped down close to the headboard. "I'm all for it. I love the area and the town." She tucked her feet under her legs. "I mean, it's big enough to not know every little thing about everyone else, but yet it's small enough for everyone to matter." Reaching into her tote bag, she withdrew a stack of pamphlets. "And look at all the stuff there is to do. This area has wineries, a brewery, a historic village. All this stuff is right up your alley, Mom." She handed a tri-folded leaflet over that featured a downtown revitalization schedule of events.

Yancy browsed through the information and met her daughter's gaze. "Okay, we'll see how it goes." She dug the card Mac gave her out and then retrieved her laptop. "Why don't you see what's available on the job boards? I'll give Shari Campbell a call and ask if she can recommend houses or apartments."

Viv grinned. "This is awesome, Mom. I think we're going to love it here." She whipped out her phone and started scrolling.

Yancy got up and stepped to the window looking out over the river. A good feeling settled over her and she savored it. A new place to call home and start over sounded perfect.

She typed in the number on the card and smiled when Shari answered. "Hello, this might sound strange, but I received your card from Mac Davison and he suggested I call…"

This is a fun story to write. I love having a mother-daughter relationship mixed with the dynamic of finding a new romance.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin 

No comments:

Post a Comment