Sunday, February 12, 2023

Sunday Snippet: How to Win a Fair Fight

Whew. What a long week. I've got three work projects going and some movement on my possible new venture. And crazy weather that keeps hopping back and forth from super cold to very mild. I'm not a fan.

Had a somewhat decent week of television. I'm not back to my normal schedule because my work projects need solid focus. But … I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things.

I finished up the Midsomer Murders I started last week and really enjoyed the episode. I have a lot of love for Barnaby and Winters.

I caught an episode of Peak Practice. I'm in season nine and what I consider the home stretch since there are three seasons left after this one. Not a bad episode but I do miss some of the recurring characters from earlier seasons.

Continued my Battlestar Galactica rewatch with my friend. Season one starts with what I consider to be one of the absolute best hours of scripted television ever. "33" is in my top ten episodes of Battlestar and probably in my top ten episodes of television. Edge of your seat viewing for the entire episode. Terrific stuff.

Watched an episode of Classic Who and finished out the arc. I have ten episodes left to finish out the full run of classic episodes. I think I'll be starting a Death in Paradise run after I conclude with Classic Who.

Started the first of the final two episodes in season twenty of Silent Witness. I'm looking forward to finishing it up and seeing where things go.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from How to Win a Fair Fight, a novella that brings polar opposites into the same orbit and lets them have some fun.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Karla and Unger are polar opposites but share a tense attraction. When a weekend discussion with their group of friends focuses on what's considered a fair fight, Karla and Unger have differing opinions, which leads to a wager about the rules and the difference between love and war.

And a snippety peek…

Karla Martin tilted her head sideways. "Hold up. Was this a girl fight or a guy fight?" How did they get on this subject again?

Right. Her brother Tom and the new guy Unger Tango got kicked out of Hatter's bar for trying to break up a physical altercation.

Unger blinked at her question. "What difference does it make?"

The group of six—siblings Karla and Tom, Tom's significant other Janie, her cousin Mark, Karla and Tom's cousin Mellie and the new guy, Unger, Mark's coworker—sat around the fire pit on the Martin family property.

Karla arched her brows. "Well, the rules are different depending on the participants."

Unger frowned. "That's stupid. A fight is a fight."

Tom let out a low whistle. "My friend, you're about to get schooled."

Karla stuck her tongue out in Tom's direction then turned to Unger. "You see, that's little sister for fuck you and perfectly acceptable during a sibling squabble, which shouldn't be confused with the greater familial fracas that usually includes cousins like Janie and Mark and, of course, our Mellie." She narrowed her eyes a little. "You're kind of the odd man out here, since you're not related to anyone." Although the way Unger hit it off with Tom and Mark, he'd have the sibling vibe very soon.

Unger grunted. "Fine, but a fight is still a fight." He folded his arms over his chest.

Mellie shook her head. "Maybe for you men, like no hitting below the belt and all that." She kicked her feet out. "But women have a whole different vibe..."

Janie gave a nod. "Yeah, like is pulling hair acceptable? How about using fingernails?" She propped her feet up on one of the coolers. "Mani-pedis can get expensive so it's something to think about."

Unger blinked and huffed out a breath. "You're not serious."

Karla leaned forward. "Why wouldn't we be? Women tend to travel in groups. Is the fight all inclusive or one on one?" She added that to push his buttons.

Unger tsked. "You're telling me, you have a list of rules that are decided on prior to making physical contact?"

Karla rolled a shoulder while Mellie and Janie bit back grins.

Unger cocked his head. "Okay then, where does biting fall on your list of rules? Is that allowed?"

Karla pursed her lips, giving her answer some thought. "What kind of fight?"

Unger clicked his teeth with his tongue. "What do you mean?"

Karla arched her brows. "Is it a fair fight or a kick a bitch to the curb fight?" Janie and Mellie nearly fell off their chairs laughing.

Unger rolled his eyes. "Consider it's a fair fight."

Karla waved a hand. "Then no teeth."

Unger grunted again. "Glad I'm not a woman."

Karla zeroed in to get the last word. "So are we…"

Mark closed his eyes and groaned.

Tom lightly punched Unger on the shoulder. "Told you."

Karla settled back in her chair and basked in the glow of victory, which would be short-lived, no doubt…

I have zero clue exactly where this story is going but it's a fun ride so far. Karla and Unger are going to push each other's buttons and I love writing them.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment