Sunday, March 26, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Inked (a Black Unicorn Comics bonus scene)

We had a crazy week of weather. Rain, rain, rain, followed by wind, wind, wind. Lost power for a couple of hours and returned some of the neighbor's stuff that ended up in our backyard. Something tells me we're going to pay for a fairly mild winter with a chaotic and wild spring. Can't wait.

Good week on work projects and I finally made headway with clearing out my inbox on my old PC and I'm starting the transfer of files to my new computer. I can't wait to get this project done so I can go back to having one desktop instead of two in my workspace. Up next, tackling my laptop to see if I can get the graphics card to function again. Or, the issue could be related to a Windows update. Either way, I'm hoping I won't have to invest in a new laptop. Fingers crossed.

Not a bad week of television viewing. I didn't get quite as much watched as I did last week, but I got a few shows in.

I finished up the Classic Who episode I started last weekend and I'm kind of interested in how this one plays out. Hoping to get to the next part this week.

Watched the season twenty-one opener of Silent Witness. Nice to see some fallout from Nikki's Mexico trip. Jack is a little off and I'm curious to find out why. Love to see Clarissa out in the field because she's become a favorite character and shouldn't always be relegated to the lab.

Enjoyed another episode of Strangest Things. The items they discuss are always interesting and I love the speculative aspect when they really don't know exactly what they have.

Caught another episode of The Mandalorian. Bo Katan's introduction piqued my interest. I like how a different sect of Mandalorians are out there giving a different perspective.

Watched another episode of Only Murders in the Building. Thoroughly enjoyed discovering the building has secret passageways and tunnels. Loved the introduction of Lucy. I haven't changed my theory quite yet on who the killer might be, but we'll see what happens. Also nice to see Oliver show up for his son. Much needed character growth there.

Got to return to my Battlestar Galactica rewatch this week. While the episode doesn't rank as one of my favorites from season one, it's still a solid watch. Frankly, season one doesn't have a bad episode. It's probably the best first season of television I've watched.

Enjoyed another episode of Pennyworth. A few unexpected twists turned up and I'm here for those. I'm quite enjoying the slow discovery of how Alfred became Batman's butler. There's not a wasted moment on the screen.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Inked, a sexy short bonus read set in the Black Unicorn Comics series.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Brian and Lucy are celebrating their anniversary and both have the same idea of getting a tattoo as a fun gift—but neither tells the other. The good news is both enjoy discovering where the other got inked.

And a snippety peek…

Lucy Sanderson had a mission to complete. "Gotta get this done before Brian comes to work." She entered the Black Unicorn office, poked her head into the bull pen and spotted the two people she needed to see.

Perfect.

She strolled in and stopped at Sosh's desk. "Got a minute?" Sosh would know exactly where to send Lucy.

Sosh tilted her head to one side. "You're up to no good, aren't you?" Her lips curved into a smirk.

Lucy arched her brows. "Sosh, I'm offended. Of course, I'm not." She jerked her head toward her desk then headed that way.

Sosh immediately followed because her curiosity would be piqued.

Zapf glanced up and narrowed his gaze. "What dragged you here at ugly o'clock? You're never in this early." He set his pens aside and folded his arms across his chest.

Lucy put a hand over her heart. "I'm wounded. Sosh just said I'm up to no good." She dumped her messenger bag on the floor next to her chair and waved her coworkers closer.

Zapf shot Sosh a quick side-eye before leaning in. "You're scaring me, Luce. What did that wild brain of yours think up this time?"

In all fairness, Zapf totally had her number. She routinely ran both crazy and brilliant ideas by him. But those drops always had to do with the comic book they produced. This idea … had nothing to do with work.

Sosh grabbed a chair and scooted in close. "And why do you need me?"

Lucy propped her butt on the edge of her desk. "I need to do something on the down low and can't do it alone."

Sosh widened her eyes. "Is it legal?"

Zapf laughed. "Of course, it is." He sobered, shooting Lucy a quick glance. "It is, right?"

Lucy rolled her eyes. "Yes, it's legal. Geez, you two are giving me a complex right now." She did a quick check to make sure they were still alone. "I have an anniversary coming up with Brian and I want to do something to blow his mind."

Zapf leaned back. "No way. Sosh and I aren't having a foursome with you." He amped up the drama by shaking his head back and forth. "Uh-uh. Not gonna happen, babes."

Sosh smacked his arm. "Shut up. I wanna hear what she's got planned." She turned her attention back to Lucy. "Come on, spill."

Lucy lowered her voice. "I'm going to get a tattoo, but I want to surprise Brian. Meaning Z-Man needs to keep his big yap shut." She sent a pointed look in Zapf's direction.

He made a motion of zipping his lips and throwing away the key. "Mum's the word, Luce."

She got serious. "Will you design something? Nothing too elaborate because I have to be able to get it done in one session."

He gave a nod. "You got it. End of day, I'll have something for you."

She smiled her thanks and met Sosh's gaze. "And I'm hoping you'll share your artist's name because they do excellent work."

Sosh flashed a smile. "I'll do one better. I'll set the appointment up for you." She crossed her heart. "And promise Brian won't find out from me either." She rubbed her hands together. "This is a great idea."

Lucy nodded. "Glad you think so. Thought it would be a fun way to celebrate." She got up and hugged both of her coworkers. "Knew I could count on you two."

I have so much love for Lucy and Brian and their group of coworkers. This is going to be so much fun to write!


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment