Sunday, May 21, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Justice is Served

Greetings! It's been another busy week and I'm still excited about my ongoing projects. They're completely different genres and it's fun to have that variety while working.

Somewhat limited viewing week again. I've been in a place where background noise is more distracting than helpful, which occasionally happens. I notice it more on days when I didn't get solid sleep the night before.

I did catch most of Pennyworth. I have the last act of the episode to watch. This show is dark in all the ways I like shows to be. And I love getting to see Alfred actually grieve. And having Ripper be the catalyst that pulls him out is kind of a masterstroke. Such a great show!

Also continued my Battlestar Galactica rewatch. We started season two and the first ten episodes are so terrific. The second half of the season is also excellent, but I remember so much about those first ten.

That's pretty much it for the life update. I am hoping to get some gardening in this week so stay tuned.

Tonight's post is from Justice Is Served, a novella that brings the characters together under tenuous circumstances and explores how they build trust in each other.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Derby Stack is a cold-blooded killer, but not by choice. She's convicted for her crime, but Nate Mobius's specialized legal firm takes an interest in her case. Nate gradually wins Derby over and together they uncover a sinister trail leading back to her childhood therapist.

And a snippety peek…

At a loss, Nate didn't know how to approach the prickly woman in front of him.

No, dumbass, she's a prisoner. Someone conditioned to follow directions or wait for permission to do basic things.

He came around the table. Derby went completely still but didn't flinch. Instead, her gaze narrowed, and she inhaled sharply.

He slowed his gait and relaxed his stance. "Ms. Stack, I'm an attorney looking into your case." He stuck out in hand. "Nate Mobius. Please, call me Nate." He'd have to tread carefully from this point forward.

Derby glanced at his outstretched palm then up to meet his gaze. The look in her eye clearly indicated she wouldn't be calling him anything if she could help it. With an inward sigh, Nate dropped his palm. Tough sell, this one.

He nodded toward the chair across from the table. "Please, take a seat." He hung back, giving her plenty of space.

She shuffled forward and sat.

Nate returned to his side of the table, and he settled down. "May I call you, Derby?" He picked up his pen and withdrew a legal pad.

She lifted a shoulder, and he took the gesture as permission.

"Derby, my firm might seek to overturn your conviction. I'd like to ask a few questions to determine the best way to go about getting started."

She gave him a stony stare.

Nate pushed forward. "Have you ever lived or worked under an alias?"

A small frown marred her features, but no verbal response.

He'd take that as a no. "Do you have periods of blank time or blackouts?"

The look she sent him would singe the hair on a normal person. Good thing he'd never been normal. Nate kept prodding her for information, pushing for answers. Derby remained silent and sullen, refusing to respond.

Nate had to break the ice somehow. "Are you incapable of speech or just naturally a pain in the ass?" Maybe pissing her off would work.

Her gaze finally snapped to his. "Have you read my file?"

Progress, finally.

Nate nodded. "Yes, I have."

Derby snarled. "Then you should have everything you need to do your job."

Nate wearied of the fight to find a connection and the lack of headway. She didn't have to trust him, not yet, but her reluctance didn't make sense. Why would she not cooperate if it meant she could leave this place?

He leaned back, tossing his pen on the table. "Derby … why am I here?"

I seriously love this story. Derby is so prickly and unreachable in this scene and I'm pleased with how it all came together.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment