Sunday, May 28, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Keeping Him Real

I can't believe we're at the end of May already. The year is flying by a lot faster than I want it to. Then again, it's been busier than usual for me, so time is kind of relative right now.

Had a great week with work projects. I'm making steady progress on both and still enjoying them. It's so much fun when you love the work.

Had a somewhat limited viewing week. I'm trying to figure out the whole HBOMax is Max now and, oh, yeah, it includes Discovery+. I have both so I have to figure it all out. I won't be paying twice for the same thing.

I watched a double-header of Battlestar Galactica with the second and third episodes of season two. I can't say enough about how strong the first ten episodes are. This show rarely missed in the first two seasons.

Also caught another episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries. I have so much love for this show. It also makes me happy when people pop back up. I kind of miss a few of the original recurring characters but it's nice to have the continuity this show tries for.

Enjoyed another episode of Classic Who. I think I might have one or two left to finish out the classic run of episodes. Not sure if I'll start a new rewatch of the New Who or not, but I'm excited for the new doctor and the anniversary specials.

I'll be starting the second part of Silent Witness this week. I'm also going to change up how I do my viewing. I normally scroll through my streaming services and watch one show from each, but that hasn't been cutting it lately. I think I'll start watching whatever strikes my interest and go from there.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Keeping Him Real, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Hugo Mitchell is the glue that holds his family's business together and they rely on him for more than they should. Gayle Dawson is a long-time friend who works with Hugo. She becomes the match that sparks a transformation within Hugo where he finally stops taking up all the slack and starts to enjoy life … as long as she's in it.

And a snippety peek…

"Delivery truck's here!" Hugo Mitchell called out from the doorway.

Gayle Dawson poked her head around the door jamb just in time to see Wayne and Vince Mitchell casually get up from one of the tables and walk upstairs to the apartment they shared on the second floor. She had no doubt the guys heard their brother call out from the alley behind the bar. She also had no qualms ratting the idiots out if she could.

Ducking back inside the kitchen area, she made her way to the small loading section. "Hey, Hugo, what can I do?" She wiped her hands on her apron and gave him a smile.

Hugo arched his brows. "Where're Vince and Wayne? Weren't they just in the bar?" He glanced up, expecting to see his siblings.

Gayle gave her best bland look. "They were … until two milliseconds after you shouted about the truck being here." They should be helping, unlike their fourth and fifth siblings that had day jobs.

Hugo frowned. "Dammit. I asked them to stick around to help get this order unloaded. With the Memorial Day holiday this weekend, it's all hands on deck. We always get more stock in to manage the uptick in business." He sighed and waved to the delivery driver. "Hey, Jonah. Thanks for dropping this off. We'll see you Friday night, yeah?"

Gayle managed to keep the sour look off her face, but barely. Where's the anger? Where's the demand for his brothers to get their asses down here to help store the inventory? Why is Hugo the only one who actually works in the family bar? Gayle didn't quite trust herself to stay silent much longer. Six months of watching how the Mitchell family treated the oldest sibling—the one who kept the bar running and filled to capacity—made her blood boil on a regular basis. How had she missed this in the ten years she'd known the Mitchells? Maybe because she'd only been employed for eight months while she tried to figure out if she wanted to apply to grad school or pursue a job in her field … which would mean a move to a bigger urban area.

The family loved crowing about owning a bar and reaping the benefits of the business, but not one of them, including the parents Ryan and Fran, stuck around for the hard work that went along with keeping the doors open, the lights on, and the alcohol and food flowing and prepped for their clientele. Dante, the third brother, had a landscaping business and Aimee, the lone sister, worked at the local hospital. Both pitched in when their schedules allowed.

But Wayne and Vince? They claimed to be content creators, which usually involved dares and challenges they filmed and put up on social media sites. They also did video gaming tutorials and had live streams three times a week.

Gayle tsked. "None of which should prevent the slacker bros from helping out right now."

Hugo popped back inside. "Did you say something?" He had a pushcart stacked with cases of alcohol.

Gayle winced. "Not really. Just wondering if you want to me run up and ask your brothers to come down and help." She didn't have to guess what the response would be.

Hugo snorted. "Nah. I've got this." He draped his forearm over the handles. "Do you mind sorting the food? Ramona will be in to start the lunch service then you can head out until your shift tonight." He gave Gayle a lopsided grin.

The one that never failed to melt her insides.

She narrowed her gaze. "You're sure you don't want help with that?" Boxes of wine, cases of beer, and more than a dozen kegs littered the alleyway.

Hugo rolled his eyes. "Do I want help? Absolutely. Will I get any?" He rolled a shoulder. "Doubtful." Pushing the cart toward the steps, he propped it against the wall.

Gayle bit her cheek then asked a burning question. "Why do you let them get away with not helping?" Especially when they were so blatant about being utter slack-offs.

Hugo grabbed three cases from the top of the pile. "Eh, if they come down, they'll bitch and complain about helping." He started down the steps to the cooler.

Gayle made a garbled choking sound. "They're grown-ass men. Tell them to shut up and deal." She slapped her mouth shut.

None of your business, Gayle. Stop talking.

Hugo trotted back up the steps. "I could do that. Then look over my shoulder for at least two weeks to make sure I don't end up as one of their challenges." He picked up the remaining three cases, his forearms and biceps flexing under the weight.

Gayle lifted her chin. "Yeah, I'm sorry. This isn't any of my business." She paused a moment then met Hugo's gaze. "Can I at least phone your mom and dad? See if they have time to help out?" Hugo shouldn't have to do everything.

Hugo's lips curved. "You could. But they're in Arizona visiting my aunt. They'll be back late Monday night." He headed back down the steps.

Late Monday. After the holiday rush. Very convenient.

Not that they probably hadn't earned the downtime. Hugo took over the day-to-day running of the bar about two years ago.

Gayle's shoulders slumped for a moment then she squared them again. "Okay, it's time to come up with an alternate plan here. My new mission is to get Hugo to find some work-life balance." She ducked out into the alley and gathered up some of the food items. "Even if I have to get a little creative to do it."

I'm not entirely sure where this story is going yet but Gayle knows exactly what she plans to do.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin 

No comments:

Post a Comment