Sunday, October 15, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Monumental Headache

Whew. Very busy week and we had crazy weather to top it off. I'm not a fan of the back and forth super warm one day then very chilly the next. Wreaks havoc on my sinuses, which is never fun.

Also had a busy work week with multiple projects in various stages of completion. The sages also picked this week to start chattering in my ear, which is excellent because I got a lot of writing done. I'm almost finished with two projects and so excited! Brings me one step closer to getting my new venture launched.

Had a very light week of watching television. With so many irons in the fire, TV took a back seat to everything else. I'm honestly in a bit of a weird place with content I want to watch. I've been in the mood to binge shows, but I hate to do that when I have subscriptions to a number of streaming services. Then again, I haven't watched anything on Netflix in forever and I pay for that monthly. Thankfully, other family members watch a lot of that streamer.

I finished up the VIP episode from last week and kind of enjoyed the Tasha backstory. I love television from the late nineties.

Caught another episode of My Life is Murder. Alexa is growing on me a little. She often grates, which I think is a character trait. Blunt honesty is fine, but there's a cruel edge to hers sometimes and I'm not a fan of that in a main character.

Enjoyed another episode of Agatha Raisin. The cast of characters is so much fun. I love when the sidekicks get in on the action. I kind of pegged the murderer early in this one, but I like being able to pick them out then see how they actually committed the crime.

Started a new two-part Silent Witness. I'm enjoying the slightly different format in this season, but I miss having the team function as a team together.

Watched another episode of Death in Paradise. One of my favorites that I got to watch all the way through the first time. I agree with Humph … the genius of the murder kind of blew me away.

Also caught another episode of Battlestar Galactica. The opening eps of season three are so, so good. Actually, the first twelve episodes are pretty terrific. After that, things kind of go slightly sideways, but this show is still one of the best I've ever watched.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Monumental Headache, a novella where two characters hookup then realize they're going to be working together.

Here's the miniblurb:

Cadee Walsh has a high stress job and needs to blow off steam. She spends the night with Worth Pettigrew, recharging from the incredible sex. Imagine her mortification when she finds out he's her new boss.

And a snippety peek…

After placing her order, Cadee propped her elbows on the bar and waited for the tequila shot to arrive. Bart, the bartender, settled the glass in front of her and she lifted it wearing a smile. Toasting her favorite employee, she downed the liquid in a single gulp. "Ah … that hits the spot." Turning the glass upside down, she tapped the counter for another one.

Her food arrived and the aroma made her mouth water.

"That looks pretty damn good. I'll have what she's having."

Cadee slid the speaker a sideways glance and straightened on the stool. Well, hello, handsome. A slow once-over revealed a prime specimen of manhood, wearing well-worn jeans, a tight t-shirt that showed off broad shoulders, a defined chest, and gorgeous biceps. Her night looked infinitely better than it did thirty seconds ago.

She patted the chair beside her. "This seat's definitely not taken, if you're looking for a place to park yourself." Waving a hand over her plate, she flashed a smile. "You won't find a better burger anywhere in the city."

He slid his sculpted ass onto the seat, and he snagged a fry from the basket. "Fries look good, too." Popping it into his mouth, he closed his eyes in bliss.

Cadee grinned. "You and I … are going to get along really well."

And if she had her way, they'd end up back at her place for dessert.

She scooted her basket closer to him. "Have some more." Nodding toward the fries, she introduced herself. "Cadee Walsh. And that's Bart." She jerked her thumb toward the bartender. "He's getting you a shot of tequila, since you're having what I'm having."

Sure enough, Bart placed two glasses in front of them.

Her hot dinner partner raised his glass. "Worth Pettigrew. I'm glad I stopped in here tonight." His lips curved in a wide smile.

Cadee lifted her glass and clinked it against his. "I'm glad you did, too."

This story is a lot of fun, but it also takes a bit of a dark turn. Can't wait to see how everything shakes out.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment