Sunday, October 29, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Neighbors

We had another week of record high temperatures, which means we'll be having brisk, chilly weather this week. Time for more soup! Trick or treat is actually on Halloween this year and we're supposed to have rain and wind. Should make handing candy out lots of fun.

Had another busy work week and also got a good bit of writing done. I'm very close to being ready to launch my new venture. I think everything is lined up.

Had a decent week watching television. I'm still in that weird place of needing silence to focus sometimes, which is truly odd for me. I usually need some kind of background noise going on.

Ended up catching two episodes of My Life Is Murder and enjoyed both. Alexa is growing on me a little more. I'm very interested in getting some additional backstory for her.

Watched a full episode of Agatha Raisin and started another one. I'm kind of crushed they're going to drag out the whole deal with James. I kind of love them together.

Caught the second half of the Silent Witness two-parter. Ended up liking the twists in this one.

Enjoyed an episode of Death in Paradise. I remembered this one from my sporadic watching on the Ovation channel. So weird that this episode timed so closely to Haydn's death. She guest-starred in this episode.

Watched another episode of Only Murders in the Building. Seriously enjoyed this one. But I do miss having the trio solving the mystery together.

Caught an episode of The Batman. It was the first of a two-parter and introduced the origin of Clayface in this version.

Enjoyed another episode of Classic Rugrats. I remembered one of them but not the other. Kind of nice to be surprised.

Watched another episode of VIP and enjoyed it. It's fun when the whole team goes out for job.

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Neighbors, a novella that follows the breakup and reunion of a couple with some help from their siblings.

Here's the miniblurb:

When Vonnie Caldwell and Glenn Doyle break up, Vonnie's brother moves in with her to help with expenses. Glenn heads out to live with his sister and he doesn't have far to go … she's across the street, which gives the former couple's siblings ringside seats while Vonnie and Glenn try to navigate being neighbors.

And a snippety peek…

Vonnie Campbell placed the last box of her former boyfriend's stuff on the porch. "Glenn Doyle can march his happy ass over here to get it." Not that he'd have to go far.

He'd moved in with his sister … right across the street.

On her way back into the condo, her phone chirped. Checking the screen, her lips curved. Hopefully her brother would give her some good news.

She swiped to answer. "Hey, Deke. You got my text earlier?" Entering her home, she dropped down onto the sofa.

Deacon countered with a question. "Are you serious about me moving in?"

Vonnie kicked her feet up onto the ottoman. "I am. I need help with the mortgage." She frowned. "Didn't think I'd be swinging the payment on my own." But she probably should have.

She and Glenn blew hot and cold most of the time. And now happened to be very icy.

Deacon tsked. "What the hell happened, Von? You and Glenn were disgustingly happy the last time I saw you."

Vonnie huffed out a breath and rested her head against the cushions. "It's been two years, Deke. You missed some stuff." And why wouldn't he, considering he'd been stationed in Nevada for that time.

Deacon paused a moment. "You sure it's over? I know you love him."

Vonnie closed her eyes. Because she did love Glenn. But she couldn't wait on him to figure out if he wanted them as a couple to be the priority or … not.

Deke added another question. "Wanna tell me what happened? You two weren't afraid to hash things out, loudly sometimes." He waited a beat. "What's so different this time he'd move out?"

Vonnie sighed. "Me. I'm what's different. But I'd rather not get into this on the phone." She sat up. "Come for dinner tonight and bring some of your stuff. I cleaned out the last of Glenn's junk from the spare room. It's all ready for you."

Deacon laughed. "You were that certain I'd want to move in?"

She chuckled. "Well, no. But I hoped you would." At least she didn't have to worry about having major arguments with Deke.

He'd always been a decent big brother. And she could use the familial support. She'd missed him during his stint in the air force.

Deacon broke into her thoughts. "Well, then. Guess I'll come by around six. Does that work for you?"

She smiled. "It does. I'm off for a few days so I can help get the rest of your stuff. Wanna stay tonight? We can binge watch The X-Files." Their mom had a thing for David Duchovny when they were growing up.

Deke added a stipulation. "I'm in as long as we start with the first episode."

Vonnie agreed. "Absolutely. I'll see you at six." She ended the call and leaned back again very happy she'd have a roommate again.

Of course, Glenn had been more than a roommate. He'd been her everything. For a while.

Now, she didn't have an anything … except a neighbor she didn't want to see.

I have no idea where this story is going, but I'm happy with the vibe so far.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment