Sunday, December 3, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Old Habits Die Hard

Not sure I'm ready for December. The last few months have really flown by, and I can't seem to keep up. I must be getting old. Or life is coming at me fast and that's why I'm struggling to stay in the moment.

And because I'm failing at staying in the moment, I started a daily post for self-care on Instagram and Blue Sky. Each day I'm going to post something that I do just for me to help me shed stress and enjoy a few minutes of me time.

To that end, I might be including some television shows, so keep an eye out for a few specials that aren't in my normal rotation.

I did get two episodes of My Life Is Murder in this week. I'm a little puzzled by the change in location from Australia to New Zealand, but I'm running with it for now.

I also finished up the bonus episodes from Agatha Raisin season two and caught the premiere of season three. I kind of miss Gemma but Toni is a lot of fun.

Watched two episodes of Silent Witness. Hard to say goodbye to Thomas and it's weird to not see Clarissa at the Lyell anymore. I do like the new vibe Jack and Nikki have. Looking forward to seeing if they add any new cast members.

Also enjoyed two episodes of Death in Paradise. Camille left for Paris and Humph is working through the new dynamic. I really enjoy this show and I'm so glad I can see it in chronological order.

Finished Only Murders in the Building and I did get the villains right. Excellent third season and I'm excited about season four because who saw that one coming with the new victim?

Caught another episode of The Batman and enjoyed it. The dynamic between Bruce and Alfred is a lot of fun.

Watched another episode of Classic Rugrats. The two vignettes are ones I remembered and enjoyed the first time around. I love it when the parents truly have no idea what's going on.

Enjoyed another episode of VIP. The over-the-top villains are always entertaining. I truly miss that sometimes.

Also watched another episode of Peak Practice. Once again, I'm not interested at all in one of the storylines, but I do love the two new cast members and what's going on with them.

And that's it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Old Habits Die Hard, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the miniblurb:

Merrick Casey works security for a US Embassy and runs into an old flame, Neo Upton, when he arrives with his diplomat dad. They don't have much time to revisit their troubled past because the tour they're on is ambushed. Caught away from her team, Merrick has to rely on Neo for backup and she quickly discovers old habits die hard.

And a snippety peek…

"All right come with me." Neo shoved the door open and gave a quick glance back.

Merrick handed him a sidearm. "Go." She stayed on his six, scanning the corridor. "Watch out, Neo. You haven't fired one of these for a while." The adrenaline still coursed through her and the feeling of rightness only got stronger.

This … this is what she and Neo were born to do.

Neo snorted. "Doesn't matter, Merr. I let my guard down once. It's not gonna happen again." He paused when more gunfire sounded. Voice low, he reminded her. "And it hasn't been that long."

Easing around the corner of the next causeway, he moved forward, stopping at the next juncture. Merrick turned, making sure their backs were clear. Waiting for a group of attendees to clear the corridor, she took stock for a moment, wondering when the world-painted-wrong feeling would return. Oddly, deep in her gut, she didn't think it would.

Neo ducked out and cleared the next juncture, Merrick hot on his heels. Neo turned and raised his weapon, and Merrick braced for action.

"Whoa. Whoa, whoa, whoa." A member of another diplomatic security force lowered his gun arm.

Someone on their side. Or at least someone unwilling to shoot at them. She and Neo skirted past the other representative and started forward again. Neo paused at the next intersection when a barrage of shots being fired filled the corridor. He slid his gaze toward her. Now or never. Merrick shrugged and nodded. Go.

He moved forward and she followed, cautiously making their way through the causeway. They finally came up to the steps leading to Upton's quarters. Holy shit. Too many spent shells littered the area. Heart pounding, she dashed up behind Neo.

He turned toward her. "This isn't right. Where are the guards?"

Yeah, not good. The elder Upton should have two marines outside his suite of rooms during a lockdown scenario.

Only one way to find out the situation. Merrick moved past Neo, letting him cover her. She didn't want him to be first one inside … especially if things weren't good. Glancing his way, she silently questioned. He lifted his chin then focused on the empty hallway. She walked forward to try the door handle. Not locked.

Heart in her throat, she raised her weapon, ready for anything. She started to nudge the door, but it swung open to reveal Lanai James, the US ambassador.

What the hell is she doing here?

Quickly lowering her sidearm, Merrick stepped back, a vivid memory of firing her weapon at the ambassador churning in her mind. Not at … toward. Because the goon squad trying to take over the embassy lurked in the shadows.

Neo huffed out a harsh breath. "Madam Ambassador, you all right?"

Her voice a little breathless, she answered. "I'm fine."

A barrage of gunfire rang out behind them. Neo quickly turned, ready to draw fire if necessary, backing slowly toward them.

Merrick shoved the ambassador backward. "Get inside."

She took turns with Neo, keeping an eye out for anyone or anything to come at them. Once everyone cleared the threshold, Neo closed and locked the door then barricaded it. Merrick exhaled hard before dragging more air in. Safe for the moment.

Neo explained the sitrep to Ambassador James.

She snorted. "Uprising, my ass. An active mutiny ensues in this building. It's widespread and organized."

Merrick grunted. "Understatement, Madam Ambassador."

Neo set his weapon on the table. "Madam Ambassador, we're in danger of losing the embassy." He loosened his tie and jerked it off.

Merrick's lips twitched. About time Neo lost the tie. It would only get in the way.

The ambassador sank to the edge of the sofa. "Shit. Nate. He just left with his two marines after someone tried to get in here." She pushed a shaky hand through her hair.

Interesting. More than concern tinged her voice.

I have no idea where this one is going to go. It's a bit over the top but the sages are pushing hard to keep it that way.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment