Sunday, December 31, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Open Shelter

Well, it's kind of fitting that my last blog post for 2023 is on the actual last day of the year. I'm taking that as a good vibe to carry into 2024.

Had a semidecent week. Finished up a couple of things that needed attention and started to get my website updated after a very long dry spell. I'm also very close to launching the new endeavor I've been working on for several months.

Did pretty much a full run-through of my usual slate of shows. I have a whole lineup of holiday stuff I want to watch also. I know it's weird to wait until after the holiday is over but I've been very Scrinch-like the past couple of weeks, mainly because of the yucky cold.

Started out with My Life Is Murder and enjoyed the episode. I will say I still get a little put off by how prickly Alexa can be. I'm sure that's by design, but it annoys me.

Agatha Raisin kind of crushed me a little. I love Agatha and James and having them kind of end things breaks my heart. But I do love they ended on a soft goodbye instead of a harsh one. Looking forward to the next episode.

Started a new two-part Silent Witness and I'm kind of surprised how things played out. Did not expect the new guy to have such a dark secret. I love that he exposed it himself. Can't wait to see how this ends.

Caught an episode of Death in Paradise and it's one I'd seen before. Meeting Humph's dad explains so much. I love how this episode played out. Looking forward to starting Beyond Paradise to see if there's more of Humph's family.

Watched another episode of Elementary. Loved diving into Joan's previous life a little. I'm very intrigued by her and having glimpses into her former profession is always fun.

Finally continued my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica. This episode had some great moments even if it ended up being heavier on the cylon lore. Hoping to catch another episode in the near future. Also need to backtrack a little and watch the webisodes and movie.

Enjoyed another episode of The Batman. I actually remembered this one because Alfred ended up being a lot of fun. I love it when he steps out of his comfort zone into his former life.

Caught an episode of Classic Rugrats. I have vague memories of this one, especially Angelica trying to be silent. In all fairness, she got robbed for once.

Watched another episode of The Secret Life of Amy Benson. I have one more left for the first season. So far, I'm enjoying it, but I'm glad I have season two ready to go because I have feeling the first is going to end on a cliffhanger.

Finished up my episode of VIP from last week and started a new one. I forgot I didn't get all the way through the episode because I remembered how it ended.

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Open Shelter, a novella that brings childhood friends together as a couple.

Here's the miniblurb:

Jay Hestwick meets Weslee Noss at the open shelter his mom operates and sees through her sarcastic rogue front to the scared kid underneath and decides to be her new best friend. Fifteen years later, Jay runs the program and Weslee comes home, ready to assist, but she doesn't realize she's bringing a dangerous menace out of hiding now that she's back.

And a snippety peek…

Weslee gazed at the curved lane leading to the Hestwick family estate after Jay keyed in the entry code to open the gate.

She arched her brows. "You upgraded the guard shack?" She shouldn't be surprised.

It had been seven years since she'd been to the property, way back in her sophomore year of high school.

Jay shook his head. "I didn't. The estate manager did. They wanted the update to accommodate two to three workers when they host events in the main house." He slid glance her way. "Wanna see the place?"

Her lips quirked. "Yeah, let's drive by. I haven't been since your mom's funeral." And she'd stayed pretty much in the large kitchen, her favorite place in the home.

When younger, she'd expected something like a huge mansion the first time Nora insisted on bringing Weslee home with her. But the estate actually consisted of four homes, a stable, a large garage, a gardener's shed, and several outbuildings. The main house did impress, with three stories and a grand double staircase leading to the second floor.

Weslee angled toward Jay. "So, you're only using the place as a venue for events?" A terrific idea, actually.

Jay grunted. "Yeah. Meetings, weddings, galas. I literally have nothing to do with it. With the exception of providing the Hestwick name." He made a slow pass through the circular drive then headed for the small lane that led to the modern wood and glass structure on the lake.

Weslee grinned. "You're still in the art house." Her heart warmed a little and some of her nerves settled.

When she'd first seen the building hugging the shore of the small lake, she told Nora it looked like a museum of modern art and architecture. But the inside oozed warmth with clean lines and earthy hues. Both fit Jay's personality to a tee.

Jay laughed. "I've been there since I turned sixteen, with the exception of when Mom got sick. It's home." His gaze went to the rearview mirror. "More than the main house ever was."

Weslee nodded. "It suits you. The cottage is too stuffy for you, and the A-frame is too far from the main house." She loved both.

The stone cottage had a quaint and charming interior with overstuffed furniture and lots of woven tapestries. Her personal favorite had to be the A-frame. Rustic and quiet, it sat nestled into a copse of tall pines that didn't deter the natural light flooding in through the windows.

Jay pulled to a stop under the carport and turned to face her. "You're sure? About staying tonight?" His head angled to one side, and he gave her a questioning look.

Weslee lifted her chin. "I'm sure. I'll get started on furnishing the apartment tomorrow." Her lips curved. "Which means I might be taking a half day if you'll drop me off in the morning."

Jay chuckled. "You can have the whole day. As a matter of fact, you can go through the outbuildings to see if there's anything you can use there. Get a jumpstart and all." He popped his door open and dashed around to get hers.

Weslee slid out of the car and leaned up to press her lips against his. "Thank you. You're making this so easy for me."

Jay hugged her to his side. "If I go overboard, let me know." He led her up the walkway to the side door. "But I want you to be settled and happy."

Weslee followed him into the house. "Trust me when I say I'm easy to please." Okay, not always, but Jay never let her down.

And now she had to make sure she didn't let him down either … the only reason she had a tickle of nervous tension about spending the night with him.

But she wanted more than the kiss they shared earlier. She needed to see where things could go with him. He'd been her dream man for a long time, and he'd given her the time and space to figure out exactly what she wanted.

Jay shut the door and paused, blowing out a huff of air. "I'm suddenly at a bit of a loss. Like I said, I didn't think much beyond kissing you earlier." He raked a hand through his hair. "Not sure what to do now that we're here."

Weslee had all kinds of ideas. "Well, let's maybe start with this…" Wrapping her arms around his neck, she meshed her lips with his.

I'm having fun figuring out where this story is going. Jay and Weslee are an interesting couple to write.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment