Sunday, September 29, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Up the Ante

What an end to the month. Our weather has been wet and drippy for most of the week. Not complaining because we needed the rain. Of course, the dreary stuff hits the week of our county fair, which is my husband's favorite time of year. Then again, a little water falling from the sky won't deter him from going or enjoying himself.

Work finally slowed down a little and I had some time to catch my breath. I have a new copy edit and proofread combo I'm working on and should have a new project starting this week. I'm also expecting more on the developmental edit I've been working on. And … a project I had a hand in is finally uploaded for proof … after almost four and half years of rewrites and revisions. I'm so excited!!

Had several really great conversations with my daughter this week. I love hearing her ideas of what she wants from the future. This young woman has a good head on her shoulders and I'm so proud of her. Graduate school is opening her mind and eyes and I'm excited to see what she does.

Not a bad week of viewing. The time to catch my breath also gave me a bit of freedom to catch up on my slate of shows. I made almost a full round this week!

Caught two behind-the-scenes vignettes for Signora Volpe. I always enjoy seeing and hearing how things work and what the actors think about their show.

Watched an episode of Death in Paradise and enjoyed it. This is one I hadn't seen before, and I loved the way the mystery played out.

Started a new season of Silent Witness. Very interesting premise and I'm looking forward to the conclusion next week. I'll be starting Beyond Paradise after I finish the new season.

Enjoyed an episode of Elementary. It's interesting to watch Sherlock serve as an AA sponsor. And I really like Watson kind of stepping out on her own to solve a cold case.

Finished up the second part of the season four premier of The Batman. Kind of forgot Batgirl didn't really feature in these opening episodes. I think she makes a return later in the season.

Also caught an episode of Classic Rugrats. I only remembered one of the vignettes, so I enjoyed seeing the other two.

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Up the Ante, a fun sexy short that explores a flirtation becoming something more.

Here's the miniblurb:

Mutual satisfaction starts at the poker table when Vianca Berry and Fritz Hattenfield begin a flirtatious game that ups the ante of their current relationship.

And a snippety peek…

Vianca set her phone aside with a sigh. "Rain Saturday afternoon through Sunday evening. Bad for road-tripping on a motorcycle." She got up and paced her small living room.
Might as well hit the Wayfarer and lose at poker. She could go in a little early and grab dinner. Fritz kept the kitchen at the bar open until ten. The bar stayed active until two in the morning. The members-only clubhouse in the back section of the huge building had card-carrying dues payers rolling in and out twenty-four seven.
She didn't have a membership, but she did have a standing invitation to enter the restricted location. The card games were always in the small room adjacent to the meeting area where the club discussed their various business interests. She'd bet half a paycheck she'd end up staying the whole weekend.
Running a hand through her hair, she paused in the tiny hall that separated her kitchen and bathroom from the living area. "Am I ready for this? For more with Fritz?" The vibe when he asked if she'd come to play tonight suggested something of a make-or-break moment.
But … not in a now or not at all way. Fritz wouldn't play that angle. He didn't have to. Because she'd expressed interest while also making it clear how much the jobs meant to her. If sleeping with him fucked with the status quo, she'd be pissed.
She flung a hand out. "Screw it. We want the same thing. At least for a while." Heading into her postage-stamp sized bathroom, she turned the water on for a shower. "I'm going to blow his mind." Quickly stripping off her tank and shorts, she stepped into the tub and closed the curtain.
While scrubbing down, she mentally rifled her closet. She'd drive over so she could wear something sweet and sexy. Washing her hair, she settled on a choice between two outfits. After shaving everywhere, she twisted the knob and shut off the faucet. With a towel wrapped around her, she grabbed the clothes for both options and laid them on the bed. Making a quick decision, she gathered up the garments she didn't pick and put them away.
Heading back to the bathroom, she slathered lotion on and took some time to do her hair. Once finished, she went to her spare bedroom—it had the best natural light—and applied a little more makeup than her usual mascara and bronzer. Tonight, she added some smoky eyeliner and a small bit of eyeshadow. She dusted some powder over her nose and spritzed a scented moisturizing spray at her pulse points.
Rising from the vanity, she dropped the towel in the laundry basket then went to change into her make-Fritz-swallow-his-tongue ensemble. "Hmm. What shoes should I go with?" She had several options that could work.
A pair of frilly flats that were super comfortable. Some blinged-out flip-flops that looked super cute. And a seductive set of heels that would turn her outfit up to scorching hot.
Reaching into her closet, she grinned. "Heels it is." Especially since she planned to drive instead of ride to the clubhouse.
After slipping her feet into the shoes, she stood in front of the full-length mirror in the hall.
She gave a nod. "Definitely worth putting the effort into my appearance." Grabbing her keys and phone, she headed out the back door to her garage.
Fritz will not know what hit him…

I love writing the seductive dance this couple is doing until they culminate their mutual attraction for each other.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment