Sunday, September 23, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Liar's Lament

Well, it's homecoming weekend and our football team won the game last night, which is an amazing feat. They came from behind and pulled out the win. The weather took a cool turn and the group we hosted for the pre-festivities had a lovely evening to take pictures.

Had a super-busy week leading up the big group activity, but I did get some solid viewing in. I'm working through Luke Cage and I like the newest season but I'm a little disappointed in pushing the anger angle. I'm hoping it ends up being worth the character assassination. Looking forward to the second season of Iron Fist.

Caught the third episode of Driven, Passionflix's first limited series. I'm really enjoying this one. So far, everything they've released is pretty terrific. Can't wait for the holiday offering this year.

The Last Ship's second episode kicked some serious butt. I hang on the edge of my seat each week to see what happens next. The hour flies by too. Why can't time move that fast when I'm stuck waiting somewhere? LOL

Also got another episode of Peter Gunn's first season out of the way, along with several episodes of Classic Who. Watched the second episode of Penny Dreadful and, holy crap, there's some crazy stuff going on in this show. I love it.

Caught episode five of Wynonna Earp. This show improves with every new twist. Not sure how I feel about Mamma Earp, but I'm in for the ride. Also watched an episode of The Dresden Files. Someday I need to read the books this series was based on.

Caught the next to last episode of Canal Road. As I predicted in something like episode two or three, my money is on the lawyer for setting everything in motion and getting rid of Spencer's family. We'll see if I'm right with the final episode.

I watched the DVD of Hairspray and really liked it. This is a movie I didn't catch the first time around and I had fun watching.

The rest of the week, I filled in with the usual marathons of Murder, She Wrote and In the Heat of the Night. I'm pretty sure I've almost made my way through both series with only a few hit or miss episodes being left to watch.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Liar's Lament, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt of writing a story that involves a lie.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Harper Scrytch kicks Rhett Barrison to the curb and runs like hell to avoid a romantic entanglement. Four years later she arrives back in town to make amends only to discover Rhett has moved on… unless he hasn't.

And a snippety peek…

Harper walked the tree-lined street convinced she'd done the right thing. Lying is the right thing? Okay, maybe not that part. That part? Girl, the whole thing is a lie.
She didn't have a great opportunity waiting in the wings. In fact, her offers were nonexistent. But the need to run, break free, and see what the world looked like beat a staccato message in her brain. Go! Go, now! Go!
Harper let herself into the apartment she shared with another photography student. "Lily? You home?" No response.
A little relieved, Harper gathered her suitcase and overnight bag along with her laptop and camera case. The rest of her stuff had been packed up last night before she went to Rhett's. She left the keys on the kitchen counter. Lily would be moving out the following week.
Harper didn't mind leaving without fanfare. She and Lily pretty much shared photography in common and little else. Not that either tried all that hard to make inroads. Harper rarely let people in—with the exception of Rhett.
"And you didn't let him all the way in."
A childhood of revolving stepparents and lovers du jour between her mom and dad, not to mention being shuffled back and forth when shit went sideways colored her world view in dark, moody tones. "I don't want to end up like them." What chance did she have at real, honest-to-goodness true love?
Not much of one.
Harper loaded her car and slid behind the wheel. Her phone rang and Mommy Dearest appeared on the caller ID. Great.
She hit answer. "Mom, hey, can I call you back? I'm driving right now." Another lie… hopefully, her nose wouldn't start growing.
Abigail Spencer-Scrytch-Wilson-Monroe-Wilson—geez, Mom—Scarpetti snorted. "No, you're not."
God, how did she always know?
Harper started the engine. "Okay, but I'm getting ready to and I've got a long drive ahead of me." She put the car in gear. "So, again I ask, can I call you back?" Please-please-please?
Abigail sighed. "Fine. But don't forget this time. I've got news to share." Her voice all but bounced with glee.
Harper's stomach took a sick twist. "Please just tell me who the new stepdad is or when I'm getting a new one." She couldn't deal with wedding news… not after breaking up with Rhett.
Abigail tsked. "I'm not getting married. And you're clearly not in a positive state of mind right now." Her tone took on a concerned edge.
Duh. She'd just walked away from the possible love of her life. At the very least, her boyfriend. But she'd never share that kind of information with her mother.
She fibbed… again. "Sorry, Mom. Like I said. Long drive. I'm in combat mode right now." Her fingers swiped over her nose, just to check for growth.
Abigail relented. "Fine, fine. I'll let you go. Call me soon, though, okay?"
Harper eased off the brake and started backing out of her parking space. "Will do, Mom. Bye." She ended the call and nudged the guilt aside.
Pulling out of the parking lot, she eased into traffic, driving away from her now former apartment. She'd call her mom when she stopped for the night, wherever that ended up being. Then… she'd check in with her dad. And, finally, she'd figure out what the hell she should do with her life. One that wouldn't include Rhett Barrison.
Fighting back tears, she merged onto the interstate.

I'm pleased with how the planning went for this story. I love how everything comes together. Here's hoping I can get it finished up soon.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment