Sunday, September 9, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Late Summer Engagement (An Organic Nature Short)

Well, September is off to a bumpy start. Not in a bad way, more like a "here are some changes, let's see how you like them" kind of thing. So far… meh… I'm not a big fan. LOL

Got some solid television viewing in. I'm still not back to the usual schedule, but I'm getting there. Right in time for the new seasons to start.

Last week, I caught Chicago Fire and I'm almost at the end of season six. Also caught another episode of Luke Cage and a few episodes of Classic Who. I also watched the second episode of Driven from Passionflix.

Started Penny Dreadful and wow, not at all what I expected and better than I thought it would be. Looking forward to more of this show.

Caught another episode of Killjoys and, seriously, I love this show so much!! The banter is sheer perfection and the complicated relationships are awesome. I got another episode of The Dresden Files in and caught a couple of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. Followed that up with Canal Road. I have two episodes left of this one and I'm still not one hundred percent sure if I've called the killer of Spence's wife. Guess I'll find out soon.

Watched another series thirteen episode of Midsomer Murders and followed that with Babylon 5 and The Sarah Conner Chronicles. I also watched a marathon of Hallmark Channel's The Good Witch movies.

All in all, not a bad week for television. Tonight's post is from Late Summer Engagement, an Organic Nature Short.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Vin's ready to spend his life with Eppie, but he's not sure she wants to be the marrying kind. Instead of proposing, he suggests something a little different. As usual, Eppie surprises him with her response.

And a snippety peek…

Vin Derbish met Eppie Collins on the far end of the fenced-in section around the old farmhouse she called home. "Hey, Ep. Sorry I'm late." He gave her a one-armed hug and dropped a kiss on her mouth.
She gave him a smile. "You're not really. I've been out her for a while, chatting with my gram." Her hand brushed over the ivy-covered arbor. "This place holds so many memories."
Vin cast a contractor's gaze over the structure. "It's in some danger of being overtaken by the ivy." A good pruning would probably reveal some weak spots in the lattice-worked limbs that formed an archway with bench seating on either side.
The pergola also had some heavy vines wreaking havoc on the sturdiness. A couple of weekends and maybe a few evenings could restore the arbor to its former glory. He might even be able to add a few enhancements—a water feature and a few stone pieces, possibly—to really make it special.
Okay, even more special. Eppie already loved the space.
She wrapped an arm around him. "You're imagining possibilities, aren't you?" Her head lolled on his shoulder.
Vin chuckled. "Yeah, I am. But what do you want here, Ep? I'm assuming you asked me to meet you here because it's showing signs of age." But also loving care because the bench sections were ivy-free.
Eppie moved away from him and stood in the center of the arbor. "My gram and gramps built this the year they got married. It's been here over seventy years." She turned and met his gaze. "I'd like it to last another seventy." Her mouth curved in a suggestive grin.
Vin had a singular moment of clarity. I want to spend those seventy years with you. He did. He wanted to spend the rest of his life with Eppie Collins.
He only had one problem. Eppie never wanted to get married. Who says you have to be married to spend your life together?
Yeah… no one said they had to tie the knot. The beginnings of a plan took shape in his mind.
He rocked back on his heels, determined to make this arbor a dream spot for her. "Let's go to the shed and draw up some plans." He held out a hand.
Eppie gave him the widest smile. "I love that idea." She grasped his palm. "What were you thinking? I'd love to add a water feature."
Great minds think alike.

I love this couple so much. They're not full of angst but they have conflicts they work through and solve.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment