Sunday, June 23, 2019

Sunday Snippet: A Simple Thing


It's been a crazy week. Our county had severe flash flooding in the far eastern end and many of the people affected are still trying to dry out. Then there was a terrible barn fire that took three teenagers, most a little younger than my daughter. And to top it off, a beloved coach and teacher lost his battle with cancer. So… yeah. Rough and crazy week. Also… it can quit raining whenever it wants to.

A little light on television fare, but I did get some shows watched. Caught an episode of Durham County and, honestly, it's insane how dark this show goes. Not in a bad way either. But it's super-twisted and seriously messy. I can't wait to see how Ray Prager, Sr. tries to keep the upper hand he gained this week. I also can't wait to see him go down really hard. Please make that happen.

Midsomer Murders had a great episode featuring astronomy. I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery and figuring out the why and how.

Watched two more episodes each of Peter Gunn and Classic Who. I'm nearing the end of the first doctor's tenure and should be starting Two's in the near future.

Caught another episode of Painkiller Jane and enjoyed it. I like the episode the first time around because it opened up some questions about whether all neuros really needed to be chipped. I think this show was a little ahead of its time.

Blade had a decent episode where Krista needed to detox and Blade had to find a serial killer vampire. Not a bad hour's worth or so of entertainment.

Started another episode of Blue Heelers. I'm still enjoying this Aussie drama.

Watched another episode of Banshee. It took me three days to get through the entire episode due to several interruptions and a number of work deadlines. But I loved this one from the original watch and didn't want to miss anything.

Caught Chicago Fire penultimate episode of season seven. Excellent showing. I kind of love where all the characters are right now… which means they'll all be upended in the finale. LOL

Started Daredevil's third episode of season three. I'm really liking this final season. I'm so disappointed with all the consolidation and shifting of assets and how it affects terrific television. I'm not a huge Disney fan because they keep snapping everything up.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from A Simple Thing, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

River Cyd loses a bet and has to have a lip lock with Gus Berkeley. No big deal—they've shared them before. But the simple kiss goes from zero to smokin' in less than a second flat and River isn't quite sure when complicated became the norm between her and Gus.

And a snippety peek…

Gus huffed out a breath and willed his dick to stay down. "Hell of a way to start my m morning." The blatant interest in River's gaze almost woke his spent cock up again. "Good thing I took care of my morning wood in the shower." He whipped the towel off and strolled to his bedroom, grabbing a pair of jeans. "Damn good thing I didn't have company." He shoved his legs into the denim and snagged a t-shirt from the back of the chair.
He'd been known to bring a patron or two up to his apartment after closing. Usually didn't have them stick around after the sex but, occasionally, the sheets didn't stop tangling until just before he officially started at one. If that happened, the female companion might get a second look, but he rarely offered a second night. Didn't make him relationship material but he didn't bring women to his apartment for a lifetime commitment.
Heading for the door, he shook his head. "She did get a good eyeful though." Too bad he steered clear of hooking up with his help.
Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice… well, I'm not that stupid.
Then again… River… man. She fit the epitome of his perfect woman. Not that he'd ever tell her that. Smoky, dark beauty with raven hair and silvery eyes. Guh.
He twisted the doorknob harder than necessary and flung the door open. "Nope. Not gonna happen." Even if he might be willing to make an exception to his no work hanky-panky rule.
He didn't want to lose her as an employee… not until he had to. She handled herself well—flirty without making it a come-on. She did great with male and female customers. And she worked her ass off, going the extra mile when needed.
Like this morning. He'd give his left ball sack to have more employees like her.
And would probably need two to replace her when she finished her master's degree. She only had a semester or two left. No doubt she'd heed the call of a "real" job when she completed her studies.
He met Joe at the bottom of the steps and signed off on the beer delivery.
Joe tucked the board under his arm. "You know if River's got a boyfriend or dating anyone right now?"
Gus shot him a sharp look and tamped a twinge of jealousy down nice and tight. "Not that I know of. She's knee-deep in her studies right now and works a ton of hours here." Gus didn't like the idea of his help hooking up with the delivery people.
That's all it is, right?
Yeah… a headache waiting to happen. If things went south, he might have a problem getting the alcohol he needed when he needed it. That's all. Nothing more.
He spent a few more moments catching up with Joe and asking him to congratulate Stan and his wife on their new arrival. Gus entered the bar to find River unloading the crates and stocking the bar with the craft beer. He didn't even have to ask… she just carried out the task because it needed doing.
He stepped in to help. "You didn't have to do this, but I appreciate it." He emptied the last case and she put the bottles into the cooler.
River shrugged. "Might as well get them chilled now. These sell out quick." She paused in her task. "I'm really sorry for barging into your apartment this morning." Her face turned a nice shade of pink.
Gus chuckled. "It's really not a problem. I should probably start making sure I'm dressed before I leave the bathroom. Especially since I live so close to the bar." Remembering the interest in her gaze, a change of subject might be a good idea. "Joe asked about you… if you're dating anyone." He quirked an eyebrow.
River waved a hand between them. "Joe's not my type." She finished stocking the cooler and slid the door closed.
A kick of something dark and dangerous hit him. "Not your type? Is he too blue-collar for you?" Stupid question and none of his business.
So why ask, shithead?
River frowned. "Uh, no. I don't care what he does for a living." She pinned Gus with a point-blank stare. "He's too married for me. I don't do the other woman thing." With that, she picked up a towel and started wiping the already sparkling bar.
Gus held up his hands. "You know what? I'm an asshole. A rude one." He took the rag and nodded for her to sit on one of the stools. "I'm sorry for being a dick. Let's start over here." He tossed the rag onto the back bar and settled beside her. "What are your plans after you finish up your degree?"
River rolled a shoulder. "I'm not completely sure yet. I've got a job lined up at the VA but I've also got student loans out the ass." She met his gaze. "I'm hoping I can keep working at the GoGo, if you don't mind me cutting back to part-time."
Gus ignored the relief sweeping through him. "I'm very okay with that." His lips quirked and he shared a smile with River.
Kat Thorp, another employee, walked into the bar from the kitchen. "Geez, get a room, guys. Or go somewhere else to do your eye-fucking." She moved behind the counter and tied an apron on.
River blinked then laughed. "Kat! I can't believe you said that."
Gus believed it. Kat dumped her most recent boy toy almost a week ago. She'd be jonesing for a fix right about now.
Gus slid off the stool. "Kat… I suggest you find someone hard and hot tonight… or don't come back until you do." He added a flash of a smile to indicate his lack of seriousness.
Kat winced. "Yeah, yeah. I'm sorry. Be as cozy as you want. I'll get back in fine form soon… just watch me."
Gus gave her a one-armed hug. "We'll be rooting for you." He shot River a quick look. "Thanks, again. I've got two errands to run. Can you two get the bar opened if I don't make it back by one?"
Both women nodded and he left the GoGo in good hands.

I'm having a lot of fun with this story. River and Gus are chatty characters and have definitive ideas of what they want, which makes my job a joy.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment