Sunday, July 7, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Spring Chickens


I'm always blown away when July arrives and I realize half the year is really gone. The whole time speeds up when we get older thing is absolutely a thing.

Fairly busy week but stayed caught up with most of the shows I'm watching. Started out with In the Dark and watched two episodes. My heart kind of breaks for everyone on this show. And, again, I keep going back to how messy everything is. The episode with Murphy and Max on the run truly ended on a cliffhanger. Need to watch another episode soon.
                   
Caught an episode of Blade, the penultimate one. This series was ahead of its time and I wish it had the chance to realize its full potential.

Also caught the season finale of Chicago Fire, which ended on a cliffhanger. I literally had to call my dad—a retired fire chief and still active in our local department—to decompress. He's also a fan.

Watched another Classic Roswell episode. This one started moving the plot forward and tightening the bonds between the group. That means it's almost time for a wedge to show up and pull them all apart.

Frankie Drake Mysteries had a great episode. I loved how the women pulled all the threads to solve their case and it's interesting to see Frankie end up with a new enemy. Lots of fodder for future episodes.

Once again, Riverdale pulled out all the super batshit crazy it could find. I do love, love, love that FP is now the new sheriff. I'm dying to know what Hermoine meant when she said it's finally time. There better be a payoff there. Alice makes my head spin with her insane loyalty to the farm creepies. I truly hope I end up enjoying that storyline because I have a feeling that shit isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Kind of sad Veronica practically ran back into the fold when Hiram got shot but it makes for good conversation. Almost fell out of my seat when Tallboy arrived back on my screen. Can't say I'm upset he didn't stick around.

Watched an episode of Arrow and, wow, quite a few revelations. Having Emiko be the leader of the dark knights is just the kind of twist I like. Kind of sad she's pushing Laurel back toward her dark persona. That'll be interesting to see next week.

Caught another episode of Blue Heelers and can't say I liked the creepy dude they had to bring in to nab the home invaders. Kind of glad Doyle sent him packing and didn't fall for his creeptastic come-on lines. Geez. Also started a new episode but only got the first few minutes watched.

Krypton had a great episode. Glad Seg is free of Brainiac, or at least I hope he is. I love how twisty this show is right now. It's very hard to tell who is playing against who and I like that. Never knowing which direction a character will turn is fun.

I'm almost finished with Painkiller Jane. The standard groundhog day episode ended up being better than I remembered. I don't always love those kinds of episodes.

Watched the season two premiere of Durham County and, yeah, this show is still dark and twisted. I love it.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Spring Chickens, an Organic Nature short set around the Easter holiday.

Here's the mini-blurb:

A four-day weekend over the Easter holiday puts Vin Derbish in the mood for some alone time with Eppie Collins. A family emergency sees Eppie taking in her niece and nephew, which gives Eppie and Vin some perspective on parenthood.

And a snippety peek…

Eppie Collins loaded the cooler in the back of Hannah Rhodes's SUV. "Thanks for bringing dinner out. Vin should have the kitchen put back together later tonight." She shut the door and walked around to the driver's side window.
Hannah grinned. "Speak of the devil." She nodded toward Vin when he came out on the porch of the small cabin, sitting on the property of the bed and breakfast Hannah and her partner, Emily, ran.
Holly Hollow had a beautiful setting and the cabin on the other side of the land parcel also had a peaceful, gorgeous approach.
Eppie put her forearms on the door. "When is your brother due in?" She and Vin would have the long Easter weekend to get things ready.
Hannah shrugged. "Should be the first week in May, maybe the second. He's not sure when he'll be back from his extended vacation after being released from the service." An army veteran, Greg mustered out just after the first of the year.
Vin strode over and braced an arm on the side of Hannah's vehicle. "I'm pretty much done here, other than getting the stove and fridge moved back in. I might come up again next week to do some touch ups."
Hannah smiled. "I can't thank you enough, Vin. Greg doesn't know what he's going to do yet and this will give him some time to figure it out." She leaned closer. "Personally, I can't wait to have him back. He's eight years younger than me, but we've always been close."
Eppie glanced toward Vin. "Need any help on your crews?" If nothing else, Greg could work over the summer when Vin usually needed some extra hands.
Vin lifted a shoulder. "I've already extended the offer to Hannah. If Greg wants to earn some bank over the summer, I can use him." He shifted his attention to Hannah. "Doesn't have to be full-time. I'm happy to let him work when he wants to." He stepped away and tapped on the roof of the car. "Heading back in. Thanks for letting us use the cabin this weekend."
Hannah laughed. "Are you kidding? It's the least I can do for the paltry amount you're charging me to bring it up to code." She shared a look with Eppie. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do."
Eppie chuckled and eased away from the vehicle. "Good thing that gives me plenty of options." She waved and headed back to the small building Greg would call home soon.
Vin met her on the porch. "Wanna help me get the stove and fridge back in?" He nodded toward the appliances, sitting in the yard.
Eppie waggled her eyebrows. "Absolutely. Nothing makes me hotter than watching your muscles bulge while you work." She bent down and grabbed the straps of the moving gear.
Vin preened and strutted around. "We can cool you down in the shower as soon as we're done."
Eppie gave a happy sigh. More like they'd heat things up in the shower, which suited her just fine.

This series is so much fun and this story is a bit of a turning point for Eppie and Vin when they have to face a few things they haven't considered yet.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment