Sunday, March 29, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Anything Goes


We're entering week … eh, I'm not even sure … of the social distancing and I'm truly hoping we start to see the case numbers come down. We're doing what we can to stay inside and away from others. We do try to order from our local restaurants a night or two a week to help support the establishments.

Had a slower than normal week of television viewing. I started out by finishing up Strike Back's third episode. I'm very excited for the rest of the season. I also caught the declassified short for this episode.

I started a new episode of Blue Heelers and hope to finish it this upcoming week. So far, I'm truly enjoying this show.

Watched the end of a Gargoyles episode and got two more in. I don't remember Xanatos being such a cheesy villain when I watched this show with my oldest. Man, he is one though.

Started the first season of The Witcher. Gotta say I'm intrigued. Here's hoping the rest of the season measures up.

For fun, I watched the blooper reel for Dirty, Sexy Saint and laughed out loud a couple of times. I love how much behind the scenes Passionflix shares with its members.

Caught another episode of Arrow. I'm not sure if it's because I know it's ending or if the writing has just kicked it up a notch but I can honestly say I end up getting all choked up with tears in every episode so far. We're getting to the home stretch so I don't expect that to change.

Also watched another episode of Murdoch Mysteries and thoroughly enjoyed it. Having the ladies take center stage was much appreciated. I'm a little intrigued by Violet showing her sharpened teeth, which probably won't bode well for William and Julia in the next two episodes. That said, I'll be happy if Miss Violet Hart ends up going down in flames. I'm not a fan.

And that's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Anything Goes, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

On the eve of Olivia Barton and Luke Johnston's wedding, their friends and coworkers at the twelfth precinct throw a rehearsal 'roast' for the couple. Their unconventional courtship is chronicled for everyone to enjoy and none of the names are changed to protect anybody.

And a snippety peek…

Hiro's chuckle brought Olivia out of the memory. "I gotta say, that day goes down as one of the most interesting ever…" He launched into the results of the target shoot.
Olivia's lips quirked. Interesting might be an understatement. Especially with the outcome of their competition. And the reveal of whom her partner happened to be.
Her partner removed his headset and poked his head around the corner of the booth. "Shall we?" His gaze flicked to Teague, who controlled the retrieval system.
Olivia, confident and certain, nodded. "Absolutely. If I didn't beat that Luke guy's score, I came damned close." She placed her firearm on the counter and barely caught the frown marring her witness's face.
She shrugged off the sour look and chalked it up to his fear she'd done better than he had.
Hiro printed out the results and brought them down, handing the pages to the competitors.
Olivia fist-pumped the air. "Ha! I did it! I beat Johnston's score." Her hips wiggled in a victory dance.
Teague cocked his head and pinned her witness with a cagey stare. "She doesn't know, does she?" His lips twitched briefly.
Her partner shrugged. "Didn't see the need to put undue pressure on a cadet." He handed her his sheet … with a score that matched hers.
Olivia's shoulders slumped. "Crap." Her face brightened. "But, hey, we both beat the record holder." She'd love to see the look on Johnston's face when he found out he'd been dethroned.
Hiro laughed. "Ah, man. You're gonna be disappointed, Burton." He all but slapped his leg with glee.
Olivia frowned. "What are you talking about?" She kind of hated not being in on the joke.
Her witness held out a hand. "Cadet Burton, I'm—"
Teague cut in. "No, no. Let me." He sobered and got all serious. "Cadet Burton, it's my great pleasure to introduce you to Luke Johnston, the reigning range champion." He paused. "Correction, the reigning cochampion now, at least for the single target test."
Olivia's mouth dropped open. "Ah, hell." Her face burned and heated with embarrassment. "You could've told me." She'd just made a complete idiot of herself.
Luke flashed a megawatt smile. "And ruin your fun? No way. Besides, I didn't want to throw you off your game. Knowing who I was might've altered the outcome."
She couldn't deny the truth of his statement. "Okay, that's a valid point." She stuck her hand out this time. "It's nice to meet you." And share the new record with him.
Luke grasped her palm. "I look forward to seeing how many of my other records you smash through." His eyebrows rose with the challenge issued.
She grinned. "Me too."
A round of applause and Hiro's parting shot pulled her from the memory.
"To date, they're still competing and playing on-up with each other."
He left to take his seat and John hurried to the podium.
Olivia shot Luke a quick glance. "I'm pretty sure we made Teague's entire week back then." She leaned into him, happy to revisit that day.
Luke nuzzled her temple. "More like his entire decade. He tells that story to all the new recruits now."
John took over again, leaning forward conspiratorially. "Guys, I can safely say Luke went down in flames that day. He came into the bar that night, singing the praises of the new recruit." He sent Luke a knowing smirk. "I knew that moment my friend had it bad for Cadet Burton … but Olivia … well, she took quite a bit longer to fall under Luke's spell. Especially when the next time they met, she ended up in a holding cell for almost twelve hours."
Olivia groaned. "Oh, he would go there."
Luke grimaced. "Not my best moment, that's for sure."

I love writing the courtship of Olivia and Luke. This couple is unconventional and fun.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment