Sunday, August 1, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Read Between the Lines

So … I can't believe it's already August. I'm kind of not ready for the summer to be waning down and fall to gear up. Because once fall hits, the holidays are around the corner and I'm not quite ready for that yet. LOL

Had a decent week of watching television again. I finished up the last two episodes of Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries. They were set around the holidays but the Christmas one only hinted about the season. The finale took place on New Year's Eve and I loved it. LOVED IT!! Even Percy the Putz didn't annoy me overmuch. And Peregrine and James are kind of back on track and that makes me very happy. I'm very much looking forward to a third series and crossing my fingers that it happens.

Caught both episodes of Silent Witness's season twelve opener. I should have remembered these but I didn't. Enjoyed the cases and look forward to more. Twelve is a little longer than usual so there's that, too.

Finished up season seventeen of Classic Who and started season eighteen. I'd forgotten Four got a different scarf but rediscovered that fact in the first arc of eighteen. I like the first one the best.

Watched two more episodes of UFO Witness. These episodes feel a little staged but they're interesting. I'll finish out and see where it ends up.

Started season three of The Muppet Show and got four episodes watched. The guest stars were Rita Coolidge and Kris Kristofferson, Leo Sayer, Roy Clark, and Gilda Radner. I like the small changes to the opening and the show set-up. Looking forward to more.

Began a new documentary series with McCartney 3, 2, 1. I watched two episodes and loved both of them. I'm excited to see the rest because it's not focused only on the Beatles. It looks like we'll see a full scope of McCartney's music.

Caught two more Peak Practice episodes. So far, season four is pretty solid. I'll look forward to seeing the rest of the season.

Was able to catch two more Master Class lessons with LeVar Burton. He spoke about authentic storytelling and connecting with your audience. I got some good information from both lessons. I also enjoy listening to him speak; he's very eloquent without being stuffy.

Ended up watching two episodes of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I thoroughly loved the Doctor Cerebus episode and I'm going to keep all the scenarios in mind for later seasons. I have a feeling several easter eggs were dropped in that one. Not as much of a fan of the dark wedding episode. I absolutely loathe Blackwood and I'm hoping it's not going to become a case where my dislike of him ruins the show like it did with Hiram and Riverdale. I literally can't watch any scene he's in without hating it.

Watched two episodes of The Brokenwood Mysteries. Finished up the first season and started the second. Nice to see and learn a little more about Breen. This show is just quirky enough to really hold my interest. I got annoyed with one of the detectives in the finale, but I'll reserve judgment because I love her otherwise.

Caught the second episode of Star Trek: Discovery. It went in a direction I totally didn't expect but I'm down for being surprised. So far, I'm enjoying the show and look forward to a redemption arc for Michael.

Finished up season one of Chicago Med and truly enjoyed the finale. Colin Donnell continues to be amazing to watch. I loved him in Arrow and really enjoy him in Med. The opening episode of season two is very entertaining.

Loved Passionflix's season two episode of Driven. I'm thrilled there are two more eps to watch and another season to follow.

Last but not least, I got another episode of New Rugrats watched and I have to admit I love the new version. Definitely not the same as the classic version but the updates are spot on and fun to watch.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Read Between the Lines, a novella where a letter sparks a romance between the characters.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Lexa Bode finds a letter Kers Jarvis wrote to his father at the tender age of seven. Her heart breaks for the handsome firefighter. The missive covers so much, but the young Kers leaves a lot unsaid, things his old man wouldn't see, but Lexa does—she can't miss it, she considers subtext her second language.

And a snippety peek…

Kers Jarvis sat outside Station Four drumming his fingers on the steering wheel of his car. "Will he see me today or tell his admin he's too busy?" A toss-up either way but probably the latter.

The whole making an effort with his dad had been the last thing Kers promised his mom. Why Carrie Maxwell thought her ex-husband would fall in with that idea, Kers truly didn't know. But she'd been obsessed in her final days, extracting the reluctant vow from her son.

Kers sighed. "Barely fifty and not yet done with life." Then again, she'd lived as she wanted to.

She raised Kers, enjoyed her teaching career, and stayed single until her passing from cancer. Her biggest regret had been an affair—the reason she and his dad split right before Kers's fifth birthday—not long before Kers came along. The long-standing distance between father and son stemmed from Kent thinking someone else fathered Kers. His dad all but abandoned him and Kers never understood why until his mom came clean when Kers hit high school.

A DNA test proved Kent to be Kers's father but, by then, his dad couldn't reconcile being so wrong. He tried for a while, but by the time Kers hit ten, Kent pretty much sent a card with cash at birthdays and Christmas. For the longest time, Kers would've traded those for time with the old man, especially after he joined the fire department.

Not that being in the same profession had made much of a difference.

Kers got out of his car and headed toward the station. With his mom gone, he didn't know why he bothered. She'd never know if the men didn't find some common ground.

Pulling the door open, he muttered. "A promise is a promise."

He nodded a greeting to anyone he passed on the way to his dad's office. Entered the space and frowned. His dad's admin didn't sit behind the desk like she usually did. But the door to the inner office stood open so Kers walked over and rapped on the jamb.

Kent glanced up, looking less than thrilled at the interruption. "Kers. Why are you here?"

Kers bit back a sigh. Happy to see you too, Dad.

Kent cleared his throat. "Did you need something?" He shuffled three files on his desk.

Kers shook his head. "No, Dad. I dropped by to see if you wanted to grab some dinner or maybe take in a ball game this week." They used to go to day games on Kent's off-shift days.

Kent blustered. "Don't really have time for baseball anymore, Kers. And I've been added to the committee reviewing the bids for a new smoke house so dinner's out." He motioned to the folders littering the surface in front of him. "I should get back to it."

Kers grunted. "Right. No problem. Thanks for the time, chief." He pushed away from the jamb and closed the door. "Asshole."

A brief gasp drew his attention and he glanced up to kind his dad's admin staring, wide-eyed. Kers didn't like the kick of guilt worming its way inside him. But he'd be damned if he apologized.

Lexa's mouth thinned for a moment before she gave him an overly bright smile and made her way to his side. "I realize he's your dad but we've got committee members dropping in all the time. If they hear you call the chief an asshole, it's not going to do much for your career." She kept her voice even and pitched low.

He opened his mouth to respond, but he didn't get a chance.

She held up her hand. "Before you tell me it's none of my business, I know it's not. But taking a big step back and maybe looking at him from a regular-person lens might give you a little perspective."

Kers frowned. "What's that supposed to mean?" What the hell is a regular-person lens?

Lexa gave him a level stare. "He's the battalion chief of the second busiest house in the city and got roped into this review process because the esteemed deputy commissioner claimed he couldn't manage double duty." To her credit, she lowered her voice again when talking about DC Gray while she directed him back out into the hallway.

Kers arched a brow. "So I shouldn't take the chief's surly mood personally."

She lifted a shoulder and paused inside the doorway. "No one else around here is, but you do what you need to." She turned and reentered the office, closing the door behind her.

Kers huffed out a laugh. "I think that's the nicest way anyone has ever handed me my ass."

He strolled out of the station and back to his car.

After sliding behind the wheel, he chuckled. "I like the way she rolls." And he'd take her advice and not get all pissed off at his dad.

I really like where this story is headed and how Lexa and Kers end up falling for each other.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment