Sunday, December 12, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Transference

I'm so excited because for the first time in over twenty years—actually, maybe longer—I got some new furniture. It's kind of my holiday present from everyone in the family. A new small recliner and a new couch. I'll be adding a chaise at some point but haven't found one I like yet. The couch story is an entire saga and I didn't expect it until December 23, but it arrived Friday!

I also had a super-busy work schedule, which had me buried for most of the week. I'm definitely not complaining. I love to be busy.

Had a decent week of television but somewhat abbreviated. I started with the Madam Blanc Mysteries. I'm quite enjoying how the larger mystery arc is being woven into the weekly episodes.

I finished up the second part of Silent Witness and started a new episode. Gotta say I'm now into episodes I haven't seen yet. The first part left quite a cliffhanger. I'm a little freaked out.

I caught a full arc of Classic Who and, yes, the Master showed up. I started a new four-part arc and I think this is when we say goodbye to Five. I'll let you know next week.

Watched Mysteries of Apollo and this episode focused on NASA's first heroes, mainly the astronauts from Mercury and Gemini. Quite an interesting episode.

Enjoyed two episodes of The Muppet Show. Senor Wences and Bruce Schwartz and Debbie Harry were the guest stars. Both were fun episodes.

Caught another episode of Fantasy Island. I'm quite happy with this updated version. Looking forward to the holiday episode.

Watched an episode of Peak Practice. An interesting plot with this one. Kind of cool to get a little more backstory for Andrew.

Started a new MasterClass. The instructor is Bill Nye and I can't wait to dive into his classes.

Caught two episodes of Classic Rugrats. Season two is a lot of fun with some memorable stories.

Enjoyed a holiday episode of Chicago Med. Gotta say Dr. Charles is going through it right now. Actually, both of them are. A really great episode nonetheless.

Watched another Brokenwood Mysteries. As usual, this show makes me happy. I love the characters and their interactions. Kind of interesting to meet another one of Mike's exes.

That's pretty much it for this week. Tonight's post is from Transference, a novella that lets my characters explore grief while finding their way to each other.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Leslie Karr is packing her meager belongings to move into a new apartment and finds a letter from Granger Unger explaining why their night of shared grief over the loss of his brother can't go anywhere. After three years, Leslie still wonders if he may have been wrong and decides to test the waters by looking him up before she leaves town.

And a snippety peek…

Granger recognized the changes in Leslie when she entered the coffee shop.

He rose to greet her. "Les? Over here."

She gave him a smile and waved then went to place her order.

She'd let her hair grow out and wore it in a pert ponytail today. She'd also ditched the standard hoodie and battered jeans she'd favored the last time he'd seen her for a pair of bright leggings and willowy cardigan over a fitted T-shirt. Her soft leather ankle boots matched the cardigan in a steely gray color.

His heart rate kicked up a notch when she strolled over to the table, carrying an iced matcha if the green color indicated anything.

He stood and leaned to give her a one-armed hug. "I'm glad you called and happy we could meet."

She grinned and settled across from him. "I can't believe how lame that message was … or that you called me back." Her cheeks colored.

Granger laughed. "Honestly, it surprised me in the best possible way. Work is a grind right now and hearing your voice made my entire day." He took a long sip of his coffee.

She tilted her head. "Tell me everything that's been going on in your life…"

Two hours later, he'd fallen for her all over again. Could that be possible? He glanced in his rearview mirror to make sure she continued to follow him. She had the address programmed into her GPS but he didn't want to lose sight of her.

His hands tightened on the steering wheel. "I can't believe she's really here." How many time had he thought about her over the last few years?

More than he would've admitted to if anyone asked before today.

Turning into his drive, he cut the engine and waited for her to pull in behind him.

He got out and met her at the sidewalk leading to his porch. "Thanks for agreeing to stop in for a while." Unlocking the door, he pushed it open and motioned for her to precede him.

She entered and glanced around. "Lovely home. How long have you been here?"

He chuckled. "Just under a year. I got lucky and bought the place when an older couple wanted to give assisted living a try." He hadn't actually been looking for a house, but a promotion came through and a realtor he played softball with told him about the place.

Eleven months later, he'd finally started getting used to the idea he owned a house.

Leslie moved into the living room. "Thanks for asking me to come. It's nice to see you found a niche and got settled." She glanced over her shoulder. "Gives me hope I'll find my way, too."

He gave a nod. "You're interviewing at three great companies. I'd love to hear more about how that came about." Setting his keys on a side table, he led her into the kitchen. "Why don't I make some sandwiches and you can fill me in."

She sat at the table and he pulled the bread and cold cuts out of the fridge to start making lunch.

My brother's former girlfriend is in my house and I don't want her to leave.

This story keeps surprising me and I'm enjoying that aspect. Leslie and Granger are rediscovering their connection and it's interesting to explore how they navigate things.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment