Sunday, December 5, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Toying with Desire

Hello, December. I'm stuck between being excited for the holiday season and freaking out because I have a lot of things I'd like to get accomplished and not enough time to slide them all in. The story of my life.

Not a bad week of television but a little lighter than usual. I started out with Peak Practice and ended up getting two episodes watched. Both were pretty decent.

Finished up the MasterClass with Brandon McMillan. I had two lessons left and got some great information from both. Not sure what I'll start next but I'm excited.

Caught another episode of Glitch. Some interesting developments and good information. I like the pacing of this series and find I need to focus so I don't miss an important piece of the puzzle.

Enjoyed two more episodes of Classic Rugrats. I finished up season one and started season two. Looking forward to diving back in.

Watched two episodes of Chicago Med. Season three is beginning with a good run. I'm a little on the fence about Dr. Reese. I love her passion but I also get annoyed when she goes off the deep end about something.

Started season six of The Brokenwood Mysteries. Interesting to see another one of Mike's ex wives. I liked having Jared back. Also a good mystery to keep things fun.

Caught an episode of Silent Witness. I don't remember this one so I'm interested to see how the second half ends.

Finished the second part of Classic Who and said goodbye to Tegan. I think the Master is going to make another appearance soon, which I'm kind of meh about.

Enjoyed another episode of Mysteries of Apollo. This one focused on Apollo 8 and had some great information. I love watching old footage of the space program's beginning.

Watched two more episodes of The Muppet Show. James Coburn and Glenda Jackson were the guest stars. The pirate-themed episode ended up being a lot of fun.

Caught another episode of Fantasy Island. Really fun episode even if the theme ended up being a little dark.

Finally caught the finale of Star Trek: Discovery. Really great ending to the first season. I'm excited to start the breakdowns of The Ready Room then move on to season two.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Toying with Desire, a novella with the characters learning to let go of preconceived notions and stay in the moment.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Carly Johnson, a savvy business owner who sells sex toys, isn't looking for love … her track record is terrible. But when she meets Zeke Moran, under less than stellar circumstances, sparks fly and Carly wants to take a chance … but first he has to get over his preconceived ideas about her career.

And a snippety peek…

Stunned speechless, Zeke watched Carly walk away. Magnificent. Even regarding her blazing set down directed at him. She certainly shed some light on previously unknown details.

Which shame on him for not taking the time to find out about those pesky tidbits.

He had no idea Lola almost slept with someone else. No clue his sister struggled so much with Rich's absence.

He wondered what else he might be missing.

Maybe he should dig deeper.

Taking off after Carly, he caught up in several long strides. "Wait." He grasped her upper arm, which earned him a cool glare. "Please, wait. I'm sorry."

"Dude. You better take your hands off Carly right now or I will kick your ass." The guy from the bar—buzz cut hair, tall, bulked up, and majorly pissed off—snarled the words.

Zeke had been so intent on apologizing he missed seeing the guy waiting by her car. To keep the peace, he loosened his grip, letting his hand slide down the length of Carly's arm before dropping away.

"I wasn't trying to hurt her. You can cut the guard dog act." Not sure what this guy meant to Carly, Zeke tamped down some irrational jealousy.

The dude advanced toward Zeke and Carly stepped forward. "Todd's not a guard dog, he's my best friend." She moved in between the two men. "Todd, meet Zeke Moran, Lola's brother. Zeke, Todd." Tossing the keys to her "best friend", Lola reached for the passenger door. "Drive me, home? I'm completely wiped."

She did look tired. Zeke wondered how much of his asshat act contributed to that. "Let me buy you coffee. Please." When Lola paused before sliding into the car, he let out the breath he'd been holding. "I really am sorry for jumping on you. I guess I didn't realize how bad things were for Lola."

Carly smiled, albeit with sadness. "You might try talking to her about it. She's very, very lonely without Rich."

Zeke promised. "I'll do that." But he pressed his invitation. "About that coffee?"

Carly flicked her gaze to Todd and the other man rolled his eyes and opened the driver's side door when she stood to get out. "My phone is on…" He left off the implied use it if you need to.

He slid inside the car, fired up the engine, and took off as soon as Carly closed the passenger door.

She still looked wary when she moved to stand beside Zeke. "I know a great place for coffee if you don't mind me choosing."

Zeke took her elbow. "As long as it's not Ground Central, I'm fine with whatever you want." He led her the few yards to his car.

Carly chuckled. "Can I make a confession? I hate their coffee." Climbing into his vehicle, she whispered. "Way too frou-frou for me." Then she closed her door.

Rounding the back of the car, Zeke thought he might just be in love.

I love how this story is coming together. Zeke starts out being the one needing to get over his initial impressions but Carly sneaks in later with some heavy baggage she needs to check also. So much fun!


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment