Sunday, January 9, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Under the Influence (a South of the Border novella)

Not a bad week overall. The weather has been a little crazypants, but given the state of the world, not exactly surprising.

Had a new work project and set up several more for the near future. Happy about getting some new ink on my calendar. Also started a new goal of reading a bit from my new books. If I make it an almost daily habit, I'll get a lot accomplished.

Decent viewing week for television. I caught a couple of Peanuts specials. Happy New Year, Charlie Brown and It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown. I don't think I've ever seen either.

Watched the penultimate episode of The Madame Blanc Mysteries. So far, I'm really enjoying this new show. Here's hoping there will be more.

Caught two episodes of Classic Who and I'm stuck between thinking it's kind of cool that the Doctor struggles with maintaining the TARDIS and being annoyed by the idea. Did kind of enjoy the various incarnations the ship took when they moved from place to place.

Enjoyed two episodes of The Alaska Triangle. I'm constantly fascinated by how vast the state is and how beautiful the scenery is. Even with weird stuff going on.

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers. Not quite sure what this one will be about but I have a feeling Wayne's not going to fare well.

Watched four episodes of The Muppet Show. Gladys Knight, Hal Linden, Marty Feldman, and Wally Boag were the guest stars. Almost finished with season five and then it'll be the new-to-me series and movies up next.

Got two more episodes of Peak Practice watched. The icky doctor finally got his comeuppance and Claire's manic depression might have calmed down a little. Still enjoying this one.

Finished up the holiday special of Fantasy Island. I ended up a blubbery mess by the end of it. Kudos to the writing staff for that. Really like where this show is headed. Fingers crossed they don't eff it up like so many other shows.

Enjoyed two more lessons of MasterClass with Bill Nye. I love his mix of humor and excitement. I wish school districts would let teachers instruct the way he does.

Got two episodes of The Witcher watched and I'm so in love with this show. I love everything about the plotlines this season. I'm very excited about the main trio meeting up … if it happens. If it doesn't, I'll deal but I want Geralt, Yennifer, and Ciri in one room at the same time—even if it's the final cut scene of the season. Just saying.

Watched two more episodes of Classic Rugrats. Both were remembered favorites. Someday, I'd love to watch some of these with my oldest kidlet again.

Caught two episodes of Chicago Med and enjoyed both. There's something about a medical drama that makes me very happy. This one walks a nice line of drama and humor.

Finished up season six of The Brokenwood Mysteries. I've got one season left and I'm actually hoping there will be another one in the wings. Haven't really looked to see if that's going to happen but here's hoping.

Started a new season and a new two-parter of Silent Witness. Harry is still around, which is terrific. I love his character. I also don't remember watching this run so I might finally be in new episodes for me.

Caught another episode of Fosse Verdon. This one made me grin because my daughter did the "Who's Got the Pain" number for her senior year pops concert. I'm hoping I can get her to watch at least that scene.

Last but not least, I watched another episode of Star Trek: Discovery. A lot going on in this one. Ash is back with star fleet. Tilly is going through it. Phillipa made an appearance, which I'm totally down with. And Michael is caught up in major family drama. Looking forward to seeing where everything ends up.

Whew! That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Under the Influence, a South of the Border novella.

Here's the mini-blurb:

When her father dies, Lilith Jans inherits a piece of hotly sought after property in Mexico. She also unknowingly takes on an unpaid debt, which puts her life in danger. Hayden Knoxville makes her an offer she wants to refuse, but can't—sell to him and he'll deal with the men coming to collect payment.

And a snippety peek…

Her demand didn't surprise him, but Hayden tried to get Lilith to see reason. "Would be safer if you left." For both of them.

Lilith's eyes widened. "No, it wouldn't. Do you think I'm stupid?" She flung a hand out. "Play this out with me. I sell to you and leave. What's to stop them from still coming after me to collect what my dad owed? Not like they're going to give up."

Hayden smiled against his better judgment. "Smart women tend to be lethal—to themselves and others—but you get the danger." He folded his arms over his chest. "So … I have a counter offer. I buy the bar. You keep that money in a numbered account as a safety net in case you have to leave in a big hurry."

Lilith frowned. "I'm not walking away."

Hayden lifted his chin. "Not saying you have to or that you're changing your mind. I'm saying if I can't settle this and things go sideways, you need a plan to start over." From what he'd learned, she deserved better than that, but he could only do so much.

She bit her lip for a moment. "Fine. What's your offer?"

He named a figure.

She blinked. "That's more than fair market value, but I'd be insane to turn it down."

Hayden arched his brows. "So, we have deal?"

She nodded. "We have a deal." She thrust her palm forward. "We do."

Hayden took her hand, ignoring the zing that traveled up his arm. "I truly love smart women."

She gave him a firm shake to seal their agreement. "Yeah, well, something tells me smart women know not to get tangled up with you."

Hayden laughed. "You'd be right about that." He nodded toward their peanut gallery. "Looks like we'll have plenty of referees if needed."

For once, she gave him a genuine smile.

And he refused to acknowledge how much he liked the warmth filling him.

I love writing the South of the Border series. It's fun to weave the established characters into the narrative and have fun at the same time.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment