Sunday, January 16, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Underfoot

We're supposed to get dumped on by winter storm Izzy. I don't know, six to eleven inches doesn't seem like getting hammered by snow, but it'll make driving very not fun.

Had a great work week and started a new project. Also got another haul of books that I've already cracked open and started reading. I'm gonna need another bookcase in the near future.

Decent week of television also. Caught two episodes of Snoopy in Space: The Search for Life and kind of enjoyed them. They're super short and rather fun.

Finished up an episode of Silent Witness and started a new two-parter. This show continues to make me happy. Although Leo is being a bit of a shit and that disappoints me.

Caught two more episodes of Classic Who. The Master returned, which is kind of meh for me. I'm not a fan of his weirdness or one-note return to evil.

Watched two more episodes of The Alaska Triangle. Both focused on hauntings and one featured giants and the other had a creature called the kushtaka. I found everything fascinating. Gotta watch more shows about Alaskan lore.

Finished out season five of The Muppet Show. Johnny Cash, Buddy Rich, Linda Ronstadt, and Roger Moore were the guest stars. I'll probably start a new muppet series this week.

Caught two more episodes of Fosse Verdon. I feel like I missed out on so much by not really following this as it all happened. I didn't really get into Broadway shows until my late twenties, which is almost a decade after Fosse died.

Enjoyed two more episodes of Peak Practice. I'm nearing the end of season six and they've tackled a lot this season. Kind of looking forward to Claire having the baby to see where things go from there.

I finished up the first season of The Madame Blanc Mysteries. Only slightly surprised by who the villain turned out to be and I'm looking forward to seeing if this thread is picked back up if there's a second season.

Watched two more MasterClass lessons with Bill Nye. I truly enjoy how he presents information. I think I have about four more classes with him and I'm looking forward to more.

Caught two episodes of The Witcher. Man, the second episode almost did me in. Never thought I'd be so damned bummed about a horse. And, wow, the storm brewing around Ciri is getting intense. I only have two episodes left and I'm not sure I'm ready for them.

Enjoyed two more episodes of Classic Rugrats. This show makes me happy. The first two seasons are filled with so much tongue in cheek, yet very spot-on mayhem.

Watched two episodes of Chicago Med. I have a sad feeling Sarah is headed for lots of trouble. Really not sure about the whole Conor Beckett hookup. I mean, I know what happens but the way they get started is kind of bleh.

Started season seven of The Brokenwood Mysteries. I really hope there's more to come from this series. I have a lot of fun watching this group solve crime.

Also caught another episode of Star Trek: Discovery. Suru and Michael have come such a long way and I love their storyline. This show really makes me happy.

That's pretty much it for this week's television update. Tonight's post is from Underfoot, a novella where the characters are thrown together by circumstance and it ends up being the best thing ever.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Nona Rack, a footloose artist and Jane of all trades, breaks down beside reclusive author West Wentworth's house at two am during a blinding snowstorm. The cranky writer lets her stay, even though she's underfoot, and before he knows it, he's discovered a new muse.

And a snippety peek…

West woke up to the smell of coffee. "I didn't set the timer before I crawled into bed, did I?" Then he remembered his guest. "Right."

He got up, grabbed a shower, and finally made his way to the kitchen. After pouring a cup, he checked the den. He found the bed put away and the space nice and neat.

He glanced around. "No coat." Walking to the living room, he looked by the door. "No boots."

He had to own being a little disappointed she left. He started to take a sip of coffee but paused midway to his mouth. The light bulb went off. How the hell could she go anywhere with a fresh eight inches on the ground?

He leaned closer to the door. A black dot at the end of his drive winked in and out of sight between fat, fluffy snowflakes.

"What the hell?" West placed his mug on the shelf and grabbed his coat, opening the door before remembering he needed boots, not moccasins.

He shoved his feet inside the fur-lined weatherproof footwear and left the laces untied. The wind bit at his cheeks and he flipped the hood of his parka up to block the precipitation. How long had she been out in this frozen tundra?

Trudging out to her location, he paused. "What are you doing?"

She stopped and glanced in his direction. "Pretty sure there's no explanation needed." She went back to work, clearing a path around her car.

He blinked then countered her sassy remark. "You're shoveling snow in a blizzard. That makes zero sense."

Her lips twitched and she dumped a load of mushy flakes. "I stand corrected." She planted the shovel in the snow, resting her gloved palm on the handle. "I need to get my car out of the ditch and off the road. The damage isn't bad but when the plows come through, they could make it worse."

He battled the urge to groan. "Can't you call for a tow?" As much as he enjoyed bantering with her, he had a lot of work to do.

She shrugged. "I don't have roadside assistance and honestly can't afford the expense right now. I know why it died. Spark plugs." She emptied another pile. "If you don't mind, I can call a couple of friends and see if they can bring some out." Pausing, she glanced upward. "But with this storm blowing through, it might not happen today."

He frowned. Not what he wanted to hear. He had a deadline to meet.

She started in again. "Look, I've got almost enough cleared here. If you can spare fifteen minutes to help me get the car out of the ditch, we should be able to move it far enough to get it to the drive."

Heaving a sigh, he slipped off his gloves and leaned down to securely tie his boots.

She gave him a wide grin. "Awesome. Why don't I make brunch as a thank-you once we're through?" She opened her door and put the car in neutral.

He definitely wouldn't turn down an offer of food—especially if he didn't have to cook.

Bracing his hands on the trunk, he gave a nod. "Sounds like a fair exchange." He gave a hard shove and said a silent thank-you when the wheels started moving.

I enjoy writing this one. I love the verbal dance these two execute whenever they have conversations.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment