Sunday, November 20, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Gone Fishing

Whew. November is almost over and I'm not sure where the month went. Crazy weather continues. It warms up then plunges into the cold depths. We've had a dusting of snow twice. I don't mind the cold, but I like it better when it gets chilly and stays that way. The back and forth makes me cranky.

I did finish up one of my work projects and have a brief break on the second one. I thought I'd get some things accomplished around the house but I ended up having two new works projects land in my inbox. Definitely not complaining but I think one of my new goals will be trying to create better balance.

I, again, didn't get a lot of anything watched this week. I started an episode of Ted Lasso but put it on hold when I got the new projects.

I plan to view as many episodes of Batman: The Animated Series as a memorial to Kevin Conroy, as I can. I can honestly say, Kevin is my Batman. He's the first voice actor I ever looked up online because I loved his work in the animated series so much.

One bit of great news is I'm three-quarters of the way done with my holiday shopping. I might even start getting the gifts wrapped and bagged. Then it's off to gather stocking-stuffers.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Gone Fishing, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

A year after college graduation, Quaille Ramsey and Franz Herman get together with a group of their friends for a summer vacation at a state park. Quaille recently broke up with a long-time boyfriend and Franz is ready to make a move, something he never took a chance on during school. Quaille isn't quite ready for something serious but she definitely sees possibilities for the future with Franz.

And a snippety peek…

Quaille exited the cabin to the spectacular view of Franz's ass when he bent over, searching under the porch. "Fish on, Franz. You'll never find the secret stash." As if she'd ever hide her rich, dark roast where animals could get into ti.

Franz straightened and arched his brows. "Fish on? Seriously, Quaille?" He settled back against the cedar siding. "I think you overestimate your hiding skills."

Quaille smirked. "Maybe, but you underestimate my ability to coerce people to do what I want." That should send him on a quest to chase down all their friends to see if she'd given her coffee to them for safekeeping.

Franz narrowed his gaze. "Uh-uh. You just tripped my bullshit meter. You'd never hand over your prized grounds to one of us." He folded his arms over his chest. "Not after making a big deal about everyone keeping their hands off."

Her shoulders sagged a little. "Damn. I really thought you'd hit everyone up and drive them nuts instead of me." She tilted her head to one side. "Why is it so uber-important to know where I keep my coffee?"

Franz pushed away from the cabin. "Because it's share and share alike and the fact that you're not makes me wonder if those ground up beans have magical qualities." His lips twitched.

She barked out a laugh. "The only amazing quality my coffee has is the ability to wake me up and put a happy smile on my face." And she'd take those simple joys where she could right now.

Franz gave a slow nod. "So … would you consider sharing if I come up with something that will wake you up and put a happy smile on your face?" His voice held a shade of something promising.

Quaille made a low hum. "Depends … what did you have in mind?" She liked playing this flirty little game with him.

Franz cracked a slow, sexy grin. "You'll have to wait and wonder for a bit, but I suggest you make sure you've got enough of that heady brew for two." With a quick wink, he nudged her shoulder and headed for the lake.

Quaille sent her gaze upward and thanked the universe she'd said yes when Caitlyn insisted Quaille join their friend group for this retreat.

Franz Herman had some hidden depths Quaille wanted to uncover…

This is a fun story and I love how Quaille gets caught up in the banter with Franz.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment