Sunday, November 6, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Ghost of a Chance

November is off with a bang. We've had way higher than normal temperatures this past week. It's throwing me off kilter to have seventy-five degree weather right now. The trees are bare but it's like summer outside. Weird.

I had another busy week with work projects. I also got my new washing machine and got caught up on laundry. Last but not least, I think I have about half my holiday shopping done. I'm trying hard to be ahead of things this year.

I didn't get a lot of viewing completed this week. I've been on a kick where I need quiet time to get things done. I did watch a couple of things…

Caught the premiere episode of season two of Only Murders in the Building. Gotta say, I love how they've kicked the season off. This is such a fun show.

Also watched an episode of Peak Practice and ended up enjoying it a lot. I like it when they have characters who've been on previously. Adds a bit of realism.

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. I think I'm going to catch up on a couple of movies this upcoming week. Stay tuned.

Tonight's post is from Ghost of a Chance, a novella that puts the characters in a position of getting past a shared history with someone to see if they can have a future.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Valerie Queen and Jay Pennyworth meet through Chad Adsworth, Jay's best friend. When Chad is killed in a car crash, Valerie reunites with Jay after five years. When the chance meeting leads to a long discussion, they end up spending the night together … but the specter of Chad hovering between them may be more than they can overcome.

And a snippety peek…

With plenty of time to kill after his interview, Jay strolled down memory lane and visited some old haunts. He'd loved growing up here. Could he see coming back?

He paused and nodded. "Yeah, I could." Almost too easy to jump up and say yes if an offer ended up being made for that reason alone.

But the job also had great perks. He could work from anywhere but the location had advantages. He'd be close to some fellow military friends who'd left the service before he did.

Jay continued down the sidewalk. "And Valerie lives here."

Okay, his brain didn't want to focus on anything else right now. Why would it? She looked incredible.

"Five years have been kind to her."

She styled her hair in softer waves and her face looked a little thinner, but her curves were still lush and voluptuous. His hands itched to grasp her hips. Hell, his body craved intimate contact, skin-to-skin.

"Slow down, dumbass. She may have someone. You had one night, a long time ago."

One night of an incredible, awesome connection. Never mind the fact they'd just buried Chad—the man who meant the world to both. The heavy guilt over that night only gave Jay a twinge now. Leaving Val with only a note—and a lie—bothered him more. He should come clean about the falsehood and let the chips fall. Maybe she didn't care?

He snorted. "Doesn't matter. I do. It was a shit thing to do." So, he'd own being a dick.

And if she hated him or thought it would be weird or creepy if he moved back, he still had the interview in Colorado. The area wouldn't be home, but Jay liked the mountains and wide open spaces. And he'd probably need to be a good distance away from her if she didn't want him in her life.

Otherwise, he'd be too tempted to keep trying.

I love where Jay's head is for this scene. Cautiously hopeful is fun to write.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading! 

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment