Sunday, January 29, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Hot Water

I had a jam-packed week of setting up a new PC and transferring files while trying to also stay on top of my work projects. In all honesty, I can't complain about the process. Of course, things went wrong because that's how it always goes. I didn't have the right cable to connect my monitor to the tower, but I found one in my stash of never-throw-away-this-type-of-thing pile of stuff I keep for that sole purpose. And once I figured out how to configure the network, transferring files has gone pretty smooth. I have a couple of final things to work out but I can take some time to do that stuff.

Didn't watch a lot of television because I needed to focus and my desk had several variations before I got the final layout figured out.

I did finish out season three of Batman: The Animated Series. I'm happy I got it done before the great wipeout from all existence. The episodes to complete the series were "Judgment Day," which I loved, "Beware the Creeper," which I also kind of enjoyed, and "Mad Love," which seems like a weird episode to end on because it's all about the Joker and Harley, but it's actually a terrific endcap for the series, because it's also about the role Batman plays in that relationship.

I also started a Battlestar Galactica rewatch with one of my best friends. We're doing weekly viewings and we've started with the miniseries. There were so many little things I'd forgotten and a lot of iconic stuff I definitely remembered. This show had such an impact on me and I'm kind of excited and terrified to travel on the journey again. LOL

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Hot Water, a novella where the characters bond over not having enough hot water at the summer camp they work for.

Here's the mini-blurb:

When Demi Strange and Nathan Jordan work together at a summer camp, things get heated. The campers use up the water ration, leaving Demi to borrow Nathan's shower and it lands her in more than hot water.

And a snippety peek…

Nathan joined Demi at her table in the dining hall. "Okay if I sit?" He didn't wait for an answer, settling across from her.

She glanced up, smiled briefly, and went back to her salad.

Nathan tucked in to the cottage cheese. "Have you decided what you're going to do after college?" He gave her his full attention because he wanted her to know he enjoyed her conversation.

Demi shrugged. "I have a solid idea of what I want to do, but I'm keeping options open." She finished the pasta in the bowl on her plate. "Carol mentioned you have several interviews this summer." She asked him about the jobs he'd applied for and how the interview process worked for him.

Nate happily explained, but also returned the focus back to her several times. By the time he'd finished eating, he couldn't believe almost forty-five minutes had passed.

Scooping up his tray along with hers, he arched a brow. "I'm not making you late for anything, am I?" He didn't check the schedule before he hit the mess hall.

Demi shook her head. "It's Mitzi's turn to get the girls through the evening bathroom ritual." She walked with him to stow the trays by the washing station. "Hopefully, she'll get them settled with their daily thirty minutes of screen time by the time I get there."

Nathan held the door open and fell into step beside Demi. "Mind if I walk you to the dorm?"

She tilted her head and gave him a flirty smile. "Not at all." She paused a moment. "Am I sensing an effort being made here?"

Nate answered honestly. "Yes. A genuine one. I really like you and I hate how my playboy rep is biting me on the ass because I'd really like a shot with you." They turned down the path leading to the girls' cabins.

Demi laughed. "Gotta admit, I didn't think you had it in you." She stopped at the gravel walkway.

Nate leaned in close to her. "I want to kiss you. Is that okay?"

She gave a startled nod, and he cupped her chin for a quick, hard lip-lock.

Easing back, he inclined his head. "That's to show I'm serious. I hope you'll give me a chance to prove I've turned over a new leaf."

Demi blinked. "Uh, okay. I'm willing to see where things go."

Nate couldn't ask for more. He lifted a hand in farewell and strolled back toward the main camp.

I love how much Nathan wants to prove he's changed and isn't going to be a player anymore and how startled Demi is.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment