Sunday, June 25, 2023

Sunday Snippet: King's Ransom

Can't believe June is almost over. This year is flying by so quickly. Or maybe it's just so much is out of control it seems that way.

Great week of work. I'm finishing up two big projects and hopefully setting up the groundwork for more. I'd love to find some balance between big jobs and smaller ones.

Had a decent week for viewing. We had some weather roll through, and I took the precaution of not starting anything when we might lose power.

I started a new two-parter of Silent Witness. Kind of an interesting premise and I'm not completely sure where this one is going. I like that.

Caught another episode of Death in Paradise, and it's one I hadn't seen yet. I do love watching the series in chronological order.

Continued my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica with "Final Cut," which is one of my very favorite episodes. There's a lot going on in this one and it's all amazing.

Finished the second season of Only Murders in the Building and, holy hell, I loved how it ended! Can't wait for season three!

Also managed to catch another episode of Classic Rugrats. It brought back some memories because my kiddos wanted to try flan because of this one.

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from King's Ransom, a novella that dips back into the Blatant Affair universe.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Scientist Livvie King needs protection—she possesses a rare book that people will kill for. Nab Ransom is assigned to transport her safely to a secure destination and he's got a big problem—he shouldn't be falling for the woman he's supposed to guard with his life.

And a snippety peek…

Livvie King curled her fingers into her palms. "It's too weird. Having three near misses. I'm not accident prone at all." She couldn't ignore the bizarre, life-threatening events around her anymore. "And that's why I came to you, Mr. Cruz." If a private security company couldn't keep her safe, no one could.

Victor Cruz lifted his chin. "My company specializes in protection, prevention, and often apprehension. We'll be able to keep you safe." He arched his eyebrows. "You said you're a scientist? Are you sure you're not being targeted for something work-related?" His tone skeptical, he tilted his head to one side.

Livvie sighed. "I can't be one hundred percent sure, but I don't do top-secret work and the, uh, accidents started happening after I inherited my grandmother's book of recipes." She patted her messenger bag. "It's going to sound strange, but her distillery caters to a lucrative clientele. Several attempts have already been made to purchase her formulas, but I don't want to sell them. It's her legacy to me." She met Victor's gaze. "And I can't leave my job yet, so pulling up stakes and moving won't be happening for at least a year or two. That's why I have the book with me." In hindsight, probably a big mistake.

Victor did a slow nod. "Okay, we'll assume the book is the target and they'll go through you to get it." He picked up his phone. "I'm texting one of my operatives. We'll do an introduction then talk specifics for getting you home." Placing the device back on the desk, he focused on his computer. "I'm printing a standard contract and we'll add addendums as needed until you're happy with the package."

A rapid series of knocks sounded on the door behind her, and Victor called for the person to enter.

Livvie turned and bit back a gasp. The man entering took her breath away. Tall, but not towering, he had broad shoulders, defined biceps, and a tapered waist. Wearing a pair of dark blue fatigues and a grey Henley with the Cruz logo, he lifted his chin in greeting and flashed a brief smile.

Then he focused on his boss. "You have a client you wanted me to meet?"

Victor rose and came around his desk. "Yeah. Nab, this is Livvie King." He swept his hand toward her. "Livvie, this is Nab Ransom, one of my top operatives. He'll make sure you get home in one piece." He indicated Nab should take a seat.

Livvie shook her head. Nope. This wouldn't work at all. Her goal of not drawing any undue attention to herself could only fail on epic proportions if she had to travel with a mega-hot man in tow.

She made a sound of protest. "Don't you have someone less, well, attractive? I mean I'm trying to be incognito and this one will…" She made an all-encompassing motion with her hand. "Draw a lot of attention." Geez, did she really just say that?

Nab blinked. "You want someone else because you think I'm too good-looking?" He slid his gaze toward Victor. "That's a first."

Victor grunted. "That it is. But you heard the client. I'll find someone else for this detail." A frown marred his face, but he grabbed his phone again.

Nab lifted his chin. "No problem, boss. I don't mind the downtime. Lets me dive back into my X-Files rewatch." He met Livvie's gaze. "Nice to meet you, Ms. King." He started for the door.

Livvie's mouth dropped open. This hot-ass man is an X-Files fan? She would've never believed it if she hadn't heard it from his lips.

Livvie jumped to her feet. "Wait!" She glanced toward Victor. "I've changed my mind. I'd be grateful for Mr. Ransom's protection." She couldn't go wrong with a guy who loved Mulder and Scully.

I'm not quite sure where this story is going yet but I love these characters. There might be some shenanigans with my couple from Blatant Affair.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment