Sunday, July 2, 2023

Sunday Snippet: A Kiss Is Just a Kiss

Welcome July! The month that my doggos hate with the intensity of a thousand suns. And we actually got an early start on the fireworks this year … about mid-June or at least the last two weekends. Personally, I love a good fireworks show. The dogs really don't. They get antsy and want to go outside but hate it outside because of the loud crackle and booms. It's exhausting.

Had a good week with work. Finished up two projects and made way to get started on a new one. I'm hoping to slide in some extra freelance work this month because I'm in between two developmental edits at the moment and could use something to keep my busy.

Also had a bit of a scare with my dad. He ended up in the hospital for a few days but he's doing well.

Not a bad week for television. I'm really angry I didn't get to watch Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies before Paramount yanked it. It angers me that studios can pull whatever they want to write off for tax purposes. I'd love to be able to do that on a personal level.

I finished up the ninth season of Brokenwood Mysteries. Actually loved the episode. This is such a comfort watch for me. Looking forward to starting Cannes Confidential this week, especially since one of my favorite actors is involved.

Caught another episode of Madame Blanc Mysteries and enjoyed the mystery. Not sure I'm excited about having the creepy woman back but I'll reserve judgment on that one. I love the cast of characters in this show.

Finished up the second part of Silent Witness and the episode definitely took a turn I didn't expect. I like it when that happens!

Enjoyed another episode of Death in Paradise. I'd seen most of this one before and I'm glad I got to watch the whole episode. I'm loving this show.

Continued my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica with "Flight of the Phoenix." This one had so much going on and it was all spectacular. The pilot interaction ended up being my favorite thing, as usual. But lots of good stuff overall.

Started the second season of Fantasy Island. I'm about halfway through the episode and enjoying it so far. I'm definitely here for Raphael and Elena interactions!

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from A Kiss Is Just a Kiss, a novella that brings two characters together after being separated for a decade.

Here's the mini-blurb:

A kiss is just a kiss … except when it’s not. Betsy Roarke shares a brief lip-lock with Wash Mulligan and can't stop thinking about it. He's got her all twisted up and turned sideways and she aims to make him feel the same.

And a snippety peek…

Jesus, I'm sorry. That shouldn't have happened.

Betsy stayed a step or two ahead of Wash to avoid any additional potential for humiliation. He planted his lips on hers. And, of course, she reacted because, hot damn, a fantasy of hers just came to life. She'd crushed hard on Wash before he left for the navy a decade ago. And the ten years filled him out and put an underscore on his hotness factor. But … his kiss rocked her world and hers made him … apologetic?

Geez, Betsy. Crash and burn much? Her luck with men sucked so much. She really needed to remember that fact. If she could find a rock, she'd crawl under it. Maybe she would once she got home.

Blindly looking straight ahead, she stopped at her car and hit the unlock then the trunk button.

Wash let out a long, low whistle. "Damn. I think I'm in love." Of course he'd say something affectionate about her car.

Irritated, she went kinda bitchy. "A gift from Marlene." Okay, Marlene's money. "And I'm sorry, but Esme is totally off the market."

Wash glanced up from his perusal of her sweet ride. "She's yours?" His hand glided over the premium paint job.

He didn't make fun of the name—something she picked up from the Mulligan men—but he walked around the body, checking out the sporty rims and low profile.

Betsy basked. "Every shiny square inch." She popped her door open and slid behind the wheel, letting Wash stow his bag in the trunk then get in beside her. After starting the engine, she hesitated. "Where to?" She hadn't thought that far ahead.

Wash slid a sideways glance her way. "Might as well head for home. I don't have a place to call mine yet." His gaze focused on the view straight ahead.

She relaxed a little. "All right. Buckle up, sailor. Esme likes to go fast." Revving the engine, she took off, merging into outgoing traffic.

I love this story so much. Betsy is a fun character because she doesn't want to rock the boat, but Wash makes her react in ways that will do exactly that.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment