Sunday, February 4, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Quid Pro Quo

Well, the shortest month is off to a banger start. I had a full slate of projects and managed to get through two before their deadlines. The other two aren't due until midweek, and I have two more starting this week. I'm so excited to have a full calendar!

Had a semi-solid week of viewing. Made it most of the way through my current round of shows and I'm hoping to continue the same this week. We'll see if the workload allows for it.

Started off with a My Life Is Murder behind the scenes interview with Lucy Lawless. Ended up thoroughly enjoying it. Should be ready to start season three this week.

Finished up the two-part Agatha Raisin. Somewhat disappointed with how the storyline played out with James and Agatha. But also really enjoyed the mystery. I love the reveals from Sarah's past and Bill and Toni better stay together or I'm going to lose my mind.

Caught the second half of Silent Witness and I'm rather happy my fear did not come to light and the grad student didn't drug Nikki's drink. I also love that she basically said, yeah, no thanks to him. I would not mind if Nikki and Jack took their shot. We'll see how that goes.

Watched another episode of Death in Paradise. I really don't remember any of this one, so it was nice to have no expectations going in. Actually enjoyed the mystery unfold.

Enjoyed an episode of Elementary. Very fun watching Sherlock interact with Joan's family and the way her mom kind of planted the seed for Joan to stick around and work with Sherlock.

Caught another episode of The Batman. I remember watching this the first time around, but I guess I was thinking Batgirl didn't show up until season three. So wrong on that count.

Watched another episode of Classic Rugrats. Again, these were two vignettes that I didn't remember, so it was nice to have new to me stuff to watch.

I'm enjoying the second season of The Secret Life of Amy Benson. Episode two had some good reveals and I'm kind of excited to see where things go in the next one.

Caught another episode of Peak Practice. I'm really, really not interested in the whole Andrew and Kate saga. The ex-husband is a total dick and Andrew is a blockhead if he can't figure out Richard is behind everything. Will be skipping the next episode and moving on to Will's return.

Didn't have time for my Battlestar Galactica rewatch this week and I skipped VIP because I wanted to get Peak Practice in. I'll try to pick up with those if time allows.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Quid Pro Quo, a sexy short that brings a couple together after one of them is injured.

Here's the miniblurb:

When Abel Reynolds gets injured and laid up for a couple of days, Lark Munroe decides to provide a little quid pro quo check in on him, except she's got way better ideas to pass the time than Abel ever did.

And a snippety peek…

Abel Reynolds ran his finger down the checklist to restock the back of the medic. "Looks good." He closed the case of supplies and hefted the strap over his shoulder. Stepping out of the back, he hit the bay floor and his foot slid out from under him. "Shit." He tried to correct his balance bringing his other foot down but he rolled his ankle and winced when the twist sent searing pain shooting up his leg. "Aw, damn. That hurts." He tried to put weight on the foot but couldn't. "Son of a bitch!" He didn't need this right now.

Lark Munroe came running out, carrying the wet floor pylons. "Oh, crap. I didn't get these out here fast enough." She dropped the cones and carefully picked her way to his side tucking her shoulder under his arm. "Let's get you over to a chair and take a look."

He hobbled across the bay floor and dumped the case of supplies then hopped to the first empty chair. Lark nudged him back and removed his shoe and sock.

She winced. "Already starting to swell. We'll ice it and get you to the ED for an X-ray." She started to get to her feet.

Abel shook his head. "No. No need." No effing way did he want a trip to the emergency department.

Lark arched a brow. "Did you really just say that?" She pressed on the swollen tissue and a breath hissed out before he could stop it. "Exactly. We're going for an X-ray and you are not going to argue." She snapped her fingers and motioned for one of their coworkers to get some ice.

Abel sighed. "Better let the chief know we're taking lost time." He paused a moment. "You are coming with me, right?" Damned if he'd let her wriggle out of taking him.

Lark smirked. "Wouldn't leave you hanging. Of course I am." She headed for the office area.

Ninety minutes later, he had his X-ray and orders to go home and stay off the foot for forty-eight hours. Lark stopped by the station, grabbed his go-bag, and dropped him off at his place. She pulled into the drive and cut the engine then got out and hustled around to give him a hand out of the car.

She got him to the door and helped him in. "At least it's not broken." She gave him a hopeful smile.

He huffed out a breath. "Might be better if it had been." A cast would keep his ankle immobile, and he could've gone back to work.

Yeah, but behind a desk.

Lark commiserated. "Yeah, sucks to be limited to no activity."

He grunted. She would know. She'd been hurt last year and hated every moment of down time.

He nodded in her direction. "Thanks for getting me home. You'd better get back to the station." He shuffled his crutches under his arms. "I'm going to get this foot elevated and find a good book."

Lark grunted and took her leave, lifting a hand in farewell.

Abel sighed. "This sucks."

This one is so much fun to write. Abel is not a good patient at all, and Lark enjoys having the opportunity to lighten his day.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment