Sunday, January 28, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Quick Draw

Geez. I can't believe January is almost over. It's been a month. Hell, it's been a year and we're only through the first month. Heh.

Had a crazy-busy work week and I'm so thrilled! Several new projects are in my calendar and I'm moving full steam ahead on my new venture. Truly hoping I'll have it ready to launch in the next few weeks.

Solid week of viewing. Didn't quite make it through my full list of shows, but the new work projects are taking priority and I'm totally okay with that.

Started with My Life Is Murder. So much fun to see Renee O'Connor acting with Lucy Lawless again. A great episode.

Enjoyed another Agatha Raisin episode. Nice to have James back even though I have a feeling he won't be a permanent fixture. The episode ended on a cliffhanger so I'm looking forward to picking back up this week.

Watched the first of a two-part Silent Witness. The tension building in this episode ended up being excellent. I'm a bit disappointed in Nikki's story thread. The student seriously screamed creepy stalker from the first moment he popped up on screen. I have a very sneaking suspicion he did something and if true, I really want a major repercussion. I'm also hoping like hell Jack's family isn't going to be smaller by the end of the next episode.

Caught another episode of Death in Paradise and had seen bits and pieces of this one. So glad I got to watch the whole thing. I like getting backstory for the island cast.

Enjoyed an episode of Elementary. Kind of loved Sherlock sort of being there for Watson at the end. The dynamic between the two characters is fun to watch. Getting a glimpse of Jane's backstory is also nice. Makes me wonder about the lawyer guy though. I'm not a fan of fast and loose storytelling.

Started season two of The Batman. I remember being so disappointed they changed the theme song. I do rather like the introduction of Batgirl.

Watched another episode of Classic Rugrats. Loved this the first time it aired and thoroughly enjoyed again. So much fun.

Starting my viewing schedule over again. The Secret Life of Amy Benson, VIP, and Battlestar Galactica will hopefully get a watch this week. I also need to pick back up with Peak Practice in the near future.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Quick Draw, a novella where the characters have to remember to not make sweeping assumptions about each other.

Here's the miniblurb:

Utah Slace has a constant stream of male and female visitors coming and going from her apartment and Hoyt Lancelot, her neighbor, draws the quick conclusion he's moved in next to a prostitute. Utah decides he needs a lesson in why making snap judgments is not a good idea.

And a snippety peek…

Utah loved cutting preconceived notions down to size. She couldn't wait to see how her new neighbor responded to her calling him on his bullshit. His response would go a long way toward setting the tone of their future interactions.

Hoyt grunted and lifted his hand. "Guilty as charged." His chin inclined. "And I hope you'll accept my apology. That was a dick move." He snagged her gaze with his and didn't look away.

Utah slowly nodded and tilted her head to one side. "It was a dick move." Her gaze narrowed a little. "But I'll let you off the hook because it looks like you're in pain." She pushed her door open wider. "If you'll excuse the mess, I can help with that." Entering her apartment, she kept going, fairly certain Hoyt would follow.

He did with a question on his lips. "How did you know? About the pain?" His hand went to his shoulder and rubbed.

She smiled. "I'm full of surprises." Leading the way, she guided Hoyt to the massage area and patted the table. "I teach art therapy, but I'm also a licensed massage therapist and mental health counsellor, which is why I have people coming and going at all hours. I keep my schedule flexible to help when clients are in crisis."

Hoyt's face reddened and he cast his gaze around her space, taking in the art supplies, the covered wall with Morse's work behind the curtain, the chaise and chair tucked into another corner where she did her quiet therapy sessions. Beyond the main living area which doubled as her working office, she had a kitchen, bath, and two bedrooms. The spare functioned as her study or den and had her couch, two chairs, a television, and all her creature comforts for downtime.

She rarely entertained anyone in that space. But she might consider doing so if the person could reserve judgment for her chosen profession.

Hoyt gave her a sheepish look. "I really stepped in it, didn't I?" He nodded toward the shelving unit that contained her oils and music system. "Again, I'm sorry for jumping to a terrible conclusion."

Utah shrugged. "Honestly, I can't really blame you. Unless you're in the know, you wouldn't have any idea why so many people come in and out of my apartment. I used to have an office but it's hard to reach people in that kind of atmosphere sometimes. Working from my home seems to build trust and intimacy and helps me break through barriers." She paused and shook her head. "Sorry. I get a little carried away sometimes." Her gaze went to his shoulder. "What did you do, if you don't mind me asking?"

Hoyt's lips twisted in a wry grimace. "Got caught in a building collapse and stuck dangling when the floor gave way." His fingers rubbed at the juncture of his shoulder blade and neck. "I'm on medical leave from the fire department while I do physical therapy and rehab."

Utah cocked her head. "How much longer until you're cleared?" Based on his range of motion, she'd guess a few more months.

Hoyt huffed out a breath. "If all goes well, about two months. But I've had a couple of setbacks." He frowned. "Of my own doing. I picked up a bartending job at a drag club and I forget to take it easier than usual sometimes."

Utah arched her brows. "Drab club? Which one?" She barely hid her surprise.

Hoyt's mouth curved in a half-smile. "Boscoe's. It's three or four nights a week and when they have a show, I tend to overexert myself behind the bar."

Utah jerked her head toward the table. "If you're interested, I could probably help with that." If he combined massage with the PT, he could probably stay on target.

Hoyt's eyes widened. "You want to massage me?"

She laughed. "Let's clarify here. I want to massage your shoulder and see if it helps." Anything else would fully depend on whether they could find a vibe that worked on a personal level.

And she rather hoped they did.

This is a lot of fun to write. Utah is so unconventional, and Hoyt needs a little of that in his life right now.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

 

No comments:

Post a Comment