Sunday, March 17, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Quid Pro Quo

March 17, 2019

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all who celebrate. I'm not big on drinking green beer, but I do have Irish—apparently from County Cork and County Down—on both sides of my family so I love to visit some of the traditions around this time.

Once again, we've had crazy back and forth weather. A lovely high in the upper seventies on Thursday with a thirty degree drop to the mid-forties on Friday. Lots of wind and rain Thursday night. Everyone who just got over the nasty upper respiratory ick that went around is probably going to end up with it again. Bleh.

Had a decent week for television. Caught another episode of Chicago Fire. Gotta say I'm a little "meh" about the whole Stella and Severied breakup. Honestly, and I don't say this lightly, her accusation of Kelly being jealous kind of put me off. First… because she's the one who went a little crazy when Kelly's former flame came back to town and second, because Kelly never really tried to keep her from hanging out with creepy friend dude. The distant thing, I definitely feel. But if she knows Kelly… and she does… his go-to coping mechanism is to be kind of aloof and alone, not to mention he's been giving her some space because of creepy friend dude. So, yeah, the whole breakup thing? Not thrilled with it. Too forced, in my opinion. Casey's situation, though, really played out well. I enjoyed the whole storyline of the reporter getting her story with his help.

Caught an episode of Iron Fist. Actually loved Ward and Joy's interactions with everyone. Ward is such a dickhole but I love how it's played. Kudos to the actor because he's perfect for the part. Danny and Colleen make me happy even when they're not really communicating well. The whole Mary or whatever her name is better start making sense soon. I'm a little lost with that arc.

Watched another Passionflix movie, The Protector, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm truly thrilled to be a founding member of this group. If you haven't checked out a subscription, please do. And if you're not big on streaming subscriptions, maybe think about getting a DVD. Their original movies and programs are excellent.

Also caught another episode of Classic Roswell. The one where Liz's journal goes missing and I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed that episode. Michael started growing on me after this one.

Watched an episode of Murdoch Mysteries and I'm getting into the story of William and Julia's endeavor to write a book. The case this week also intrigued me. I love having some backstory with William.

Caught another episode of Arrow and it's one I've been waiting to see. "Slabside Redemption" didn't disappoint. I've been excited to see how the prison storyline would end and I'm quite happy with how it played out. My one and only "meh" moment? Stanley's escape. That means we'll be seeing him again, right?

Watched another episode of Roswell, New Mexico. This show is starting to eat my brain in the best way. It's messy and I love it. There's nothing uncomplicated about any of the relationships. I'd love to see a better and stronger Maria and Liz vibe because I loved that friendship in the original. The Rosa storyline is starting to grow on me and I'm hoping the whole illegal alien thing smooths out soon. On one hand, I like the topical aspect to making Liz's dad illegal. On the other, I struggle a little because it's so very different from the classic version. We'll see if that one starts growing on me.

Caught another Painkiller Jane episode I either missed or forgot about the first time around. "Breakdown" ended up being a terrific episode. I loved how it ended.

Started another episode of Underbelly: Razor. This show goes to some interesting places and I'm kind of interested in where this episode will end and who will be left standing. Hopefully will have time to finish it soon.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Quid Pro Quo a sexy short that started with the prompt of "one character gets hurt; the other provides comfort".

Here's the mini-blurb:

When Abel Reynolds gets injured and laid up for a couple of days, Lark Munroe decides to provide a little quid pro quo check in on him, except she's got way better ideas to pass the time than Abel ever did.

And a snippety peek…

Lark eyed the binder with Abel's paperwork… and the bag containing two dinners sitting in her passenger seat. "Am I taking blatant advantage here?" Maybe.
The reports didn't take long to pick up and she drove right past the local hangout that had Abel's favorite burger combo. She'd opted for grilled chicken. The delicious aroma coming from the boxes made her stomach growl in anticipation.
Turning into Abel's driveway, she cut the engine. "God, I hope he lets me stay." She tucked the binder under her arm and grabbed the food.
She paused before she popped the door open. What the hell am I doing? Finding reasons to spend time with Abel. Away from work and prying eyes. Not that hard to figure out.
But what if he guessed? Would be it be so bad if he did? Possibly.
Because she wanted Abel in a big way and taking advantage of and using his injury as a way to maybe hookup might not be the best idea she'd ever had. Then again, as a catalyst, it might work.
And I can always fall back on the returning the favor thing.
She exited the car, made her way to the door, and knocked once. She didn't wait for a response, letting herself in like she'd done earlier. Handing him the binder, she waved the takeout bag back and forth.
Abel quirked a brow. "Is that the three-meat burger I'm getting a whiff of?" His stomach growled, leaving no doubt she'd made the right call.
Her lips curved. "Yep." Placing the dinners on the coffee table, she started taking the boxes out. "It's your favorite, right?" She'd heard him order it often enough.
He nodded. "Oh, yeah. Perfect blend of beef, lamb, and sausage." Rubbing his hands together, he took the container from her.
Lark put hers on the table and glanced up. "Hope you don't mind. Thought I'd join you." Hopefully, she kept just the right amount of casual in her tone.
He shifted his position on the couch, wincing a little. "Uh, no. Don't mind at all." He reached over and grabbed a pillow to settle it on his lap.
She narrowed her eyes, but when he put the container on it she shrugged off the move. Made sense for comfort if nothing else. She snagged his glass and refilled it then grabbed some water for hers.
Sitting in the chair next to the couch, she grinned. "See, way better than boring soup heated in the microwave."
Abel paused mid-bite. "How'd you know that was my plan?"
She laughed. "The cans lined up on the counter are a dead giveaway."
He gave her a sheepish grin and took a huge bite of his burger.
So far… so good.

I'm having a good time writing Abel and Lark. She's got the perfect opportunity to test the waters away from work so there's a little downtime if things don't go well. But… I think they'll go along just fine. LOL



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment