Sunday, March 10, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Quick on the Draw

As usual, the weather in Ohio is crazy. Snow and cold to start and last most of the week and a semi-thaw today with a ton of rain and wind. It's supposed to get cold again by next weekend. Sigh.

Kind of a slow week for television. I had several work deadlines that needed a lot of my attention and focus. I did get some viewing in though.

Finished up the Killjoys season and, holy crap, I'm truly ready for next season already. Where they left things? Yeah, I need to know what happens.

Caught another episode of Painkiller Jane and it was another one I didn't remember for the original airing. A pretty good one, too.

I watched an episode of Underbelly: Razor and I gotta say I'm really mad at Kate. That's the whole point but the whole deal with Bruce just burns my chaps. Tillie and Nellie are ripe for a downfall and I'll be interested in seeing how that comes about.

Caught the third episode of Endeavour and really enjoyed the case and hints dropped about the robberies. I like that there's something of a through line into the next episode. At least I hope that's what will happen. The robbery guys are total doltheads, just saying.

Watched one of my favorite episodes of The Sarah Conner Chronicles and I’m almost at the end of the road for the series. I really forgot how terrific and ahead of its time the show is.

Caught the third episode of Roswell, New Mexico. I'm truly loving this show and have become quite a fan. Here's hoping it gets a second season.

I'm two episodes from the end of Birds of Prey. Watched "Reunion" this week and enjoyed how Barbara and Helena discovered some internal truths. Also caught the first episode of Pensacola Wings of Gold season two. Not sure about continuing but I did like how they transitioned from the previous season.

Started episode four of Strike Back. Got distracted by work so I'll have to finish it up in the near future. Hopefully the very near future.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Quick on the Draw, a sexy short that started with a scene-staging prompt of hanging upside down on a playground with a water pistol. I put a bit of a spin on the prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Willa Hown opens her property to paintball enthusiasts on the weekends and enjoys the antics of grown adults finding their inner child. Kip Jarvison rarely takes time off but his brothers drag him to Willa's place for a weekend of fun and messy sport. Kip's not thrilled—until he meets Willa and she shows him how much fun paintball can really be.

And a snippety peek…

Willa grabbed her cleaning gear and loaded up the utility vehicle. "Only decent thing moron Nash ever talked me into." They'd made the purchase at Christmas and she'd already put it to good use plowing the driveway and hauling firewood.
Climbing in behind the wheel, she pulled out of the garage to head out to the campers by the pond. "Now I get to brave the mud and see if this can handle the path out there." She didn't doubt the UTV could make the trip, more whether she could maintain her calm and get one of the small trailers cleaned up to house guests.
Dammit, Nash.
They weren't really ready for prime time. She'd talked Nash into making the purchase. Helped they bought the trio of castoff campers from family members who'd upgraded. The original plan had been to offer them for weekend packages starting during the summer season.
Stopping outside the largest one, she grabbed her bucket and cleaning supplies. "Guess a trial run won't hurt." At least she'd had time to renovate the big one that slept six.
Nash suggested she start with it because it held not so pleasant memories of cousin Artie threatening to kick Nash's ass.
She snorted. "Not sure it'll sleep six comfortably, but three brothers should be able to bunk in without too much trouble." Maybe not having Nash here wouldn't be a bad thing.
Making quick work of spot-mopping the floor and checking the lights, water to the sink and bathroom, and turning on the heating unit, she'd loaded up the UTV when the crunch of tires started down the long drive to the pond.
Dusting off her hands, she waited for the SUV to come to a stop before flashing a smile and waving to Kyle, sitting in the back seat.
He got out and made his way over to her. "Hey, Willa. Thanks so much for letting us come." His sheepish grin made dimples in his cheeks.
Willa shrugged and pulled him into a one-armed hug. "No problem. Of course, Nash didn't tell me he set this up until this morning." She rolled her eyes and Kyle shook his head.
The two brothers emerging from the car bore a family resemblance. Kell—she assumed—ran up and grabbed Willa in a big bear hug, lifting her off her feet and spinning her around. She let out a startled shriek and hung on for dear life.
He settled her back on her feet. "Hi, I'm the middle brother, Kell. And what my baby brother means is we're thrilled you didn't kill Nash for dumping his roommate and his brothers on you at the last minute." He stuck out his hand and tossed Kyle a look over his shoulder.
Laughing, she grasped Kell's palm. "Hi, I'm Willa. You're obviously familiar with my brother's shortcomings." She shot Kyle a quick look. "And his bad habits." One day, Nash would cross the wrong guy.
Good thing Kyle had such a laidback attitude.
Kyle's lips curved. "Eh, he had the right moves and I didn't. No big loss." He jerked his head toward the final sibling. "Besides, gives me a chance to spend time with my oldest brother."
Her gaze followed his line of sight and she shifted her attention to the last guy. Holy hell. Where Kyle had quick wit and dimples and Kell had exuberant enthusiasm, the oldest brother had a dreamy, dark and handsome thing going on. His sharp features, high cheekbones and a strong chin, matched his siblings's but in a starker way. This guy had depth and lots of it.
Which made sense, being the oldest. Something Willa had a wee bit of experience with.
She stepped forward, giving him a nod. "Hi, it's Kip, right?" She put her hand out in welcome.
He tilted his head to one side and studied her a moment before grasping her palm in a firm grip. "Uh, yeah, dibs." He blinked and shook his head. "I mean, Kip. The name is Kip."
A shiver of awareness coursed through Willa, but she raised an eyebrow. "You sure about that?" She hoped she injected enough sass into her tone to keep things from going into awkward territory.
Kell groaned. "Aw, man. It figures the first woman he shows an interest in forever happens when it's our boys' weekend." He made a dramatic show of indignation.
Kyle looked from Kip to Willa and back again. The speculative gleam in his eye put Willa's red flag firmly in the ground. Time to wrangle control of her group and get them into their weekend digs.
She held up a hand. "Kell, fear not, I won't be getting in the way of your bonding experience. I'll get you outfitted every day but I'll be up at the house otherwise." She started walking toward the trailer, shooting a quick look over her shoulder. "Kyle, don't even think about it. Whatever revenge scenario you've got brewing in your head involving using me and your brother to mess with Nash isn't going to happen." Opening the door, she stood back to let the guys into the camper.
Kyle and Kell bounded inside, leaving their bags by the SUV. Kip picked up his overnight case and slung the strap over his shoulder. He made slower progress, his gaze sweeping over the trees surrounding the pond on the north side.
He paused at the door. "This is a terrific area."
Willa snorted. "Seriously? You're going to comment on the surroundings after you basically called ownership?" She almost felt bad about giving him shit.
But not quite.
Kip flushed. "I didn't really. More like…" His voice trailed off and uncertainty and maybe a little disbelief crept into his gaze.
Willa supplied a response, still not ready to let him off yet. "Staked your claim? Marked your territory?" Her lips twitched, but Kip didn't notice.
Instead, he frowned. "That's not really what happened." He didn't sound like he believed himself.
Her eyebrows shot up. "I grew up with guys. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened. I mean, I can keep going if you want, until I hit the right phrase." Why not be helpful, right?
Kip dropped his bag on the steps of the trailer. "I thought you only had a brother?"
She smirked. "I do. But we have a crap ton of cousins. All guys. I'm the only female on both sides." Her inside knowledge came in handy sometimes.
Kip sat down on the top step. "Okay, fine. I acted like a caveman and basically told my brothers to back off the female." He shook his head. "Not a normal reaction when I meet women, even really hot ones like you." He met her gaze. "I'll forget it happened if you will and please accept my apology."
Willa smiled. "I'll absolutely accept your apology… but who says I want to forget it happened?" Backing up, she held his gaze when she made her way to the UTV. "The water and gas are on so you guys can get settled in. I'll be back down around four to get you loaded up on paintballs and explain where the staging areas are." She got behind the wheel and started the engine. "Nice to meet you, Kip Jarvison."

I truly enjoy writing the sibling banter in this story. I can't wait to get Willa and Kip alone so they can compare notes on their brothers among other fun things.



That's it for this week. Happy reading.


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment