Sunday, April 28, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Reflex Reaction


Whew! My daughter's third prom is down and out of the way. She's the junior class president so I had chaperone duties and, wow, let me tell you… I ran my ass off last night. LOL And, of course, the weather ended up being a complete downer. Rainy and actually pretty chilly for the end of April. However, I think this year's dress is pretty much my favorite.

Anyway… while I'm putting my feet up, I'll dive into this week's television viewing. I Finished up Iron Fist and it didn't disappoint. I thoroughly enjoyed Ward and Joy's conversation. I'll be really happy to see Davos taken down. I want to be sympathetic, but yeah, not really feeling it. Misty and Colleen need their own show. Just saying.

Caught the Classic Roswell episode, "Heat Wave" and it's one I really loved when it aired the first time. Still loved it this time around too.

Watched the Arrow Elseworlds episode. Quite enjoyed it even though it's the only one I've seen in the crossover event. I'll have to catch The Flash and Supergirl when they make it to a streaming platform. It really annoys me that full season's aren't available on the network's app. Or at least keep the crossover on for the full season.

Also caught another episode of Murdoch Mysteries. Based on a little google fu, it looks like there will be another season, which makes me very happy.

Watched episode three of The Murders and I like where this show is going. I'm kind of happy to know why Nolan isn't a big fan of Paul in guns and gangs. I'm also glad to have a little more insight into Kate's relationship with her mom.

Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries is such a great spinoff. I really hope there ends up being another season of this one. The second episode had terrific chemistry between all of the characters and I'm such a fan of the secondary ones.

I have some things to discuss about Roswell, New Mexico's finale and I'll save those for later. Caught an episode of Painkiller Jane and it's one I like the first time around. Answers start revealing themselves about Jane's ability. I truly do wish this series had a second season if only for more of those.

Underbelly Razor's penultimate episode dropped some big moves and is titled the same. With one more episode left in this incarnation, I'm excited to see how things end for the women.

Watched a Midsomer Murders episode and, well, found it kind of odd. Then again, with fourteen seasons in front of it and several more to go, there has to be an odd one here and there, right?

Caught two more episodes of Peter Gunn and I don't remember seeing either of them previously. I'm such a fan of how Peter's group of friends and colleagues add so much to the show.

Okay… Roswell, New Mexico's season finale. Wow. Seriously. It's been a long time since a show gave me a gut-punch feeling and I'm not quite sure how I feel about having one. The episode had so much going on, but all the episodes usually do. The acting ended up being stellar, from, I'm not kidding, everyone. As for where things went? I'm honestly still working through how I feel. I'm thrilled there's a second season, which hopefully means a solution for the thing that happened. I haven't decided if I trust this showrunner yet. So far, I've loved everything from the characters to the plot points, even with the somewhat neglected Maria, and pulling a shock-value move makes me slightly twitchy, hence my inability to fully trust how things will play out. That said, you can bet my ass will glued to the screen when the second season premieres, so there's that. I might have more about the season overall on my sister blog Universes Altered.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Reflex Reaction, a novella that started with a writing community prompt of "write the story of when one character shows up for another character's first date and makes them an offer they can't refuse". My imagination went wild with this one.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Rory Crame longs for more than her small hometown can provide. She escapes, leaving her childhood sweetheart, Gib Larrison, behind. Seven years later she returns, older and wiser, with a better appreciation for what she walked away from—especially Gib, who doesn't seem at all interested in rekindling their romance.

And a snippety peek…

Rory Crame drove down the main drag in the quaint city she used to call home. "Wow… looks like Mom was right about the upgrades." Speaking of her mom… Rory hit the call button on her phone and waited for her mom to answer.
Seven years since she'd left to pursue her dreams or really taken more than a cursory look around the little burg when she visited. Okay, not exactly little. The city population stood at about twenty-five thousand. As the county seat, a lot of overflow came in from the surrounding villages.
Her mom answered. "Hello? Rory? Are you here yet?" God, she loved the sound of Dinah Crame's voice.
Rory smiled. "I'm here, Mom. Heading over to Fifth… to my new home." She'd purchased the old service station for her work studio and residence.
The pumps were long gone and the previous owner spent a small fortune to remove the holding tanks and repave the area in front of the building. A downturn in the economy gave her the opportunity to buy the building outright using the money from her dad's life insurance policy and the savings she'd set aside. She got the success she'd dreamed of, but lost the grounded feeling of being surrounded by people she loved.
Her mom's voice cut through her thoughts. "Can I meet you there? We could have a late lunch. I know you want to get inside and start planning your space, but you need to eat, too."
Rory hesitated. She wanted to spend time with her mom but didn't know if she wanted to face everyone yet. Other than holiday visits, she'd kept a very low profile around the town, keeping mainly to her mom's place a few miles outside the city limits. Especially after leaving the way she had.
She caved. "Sure, Mom. Let's grab something as long as it's not fast food." After all, she came back to see and be seen.
Who are you kidding? There's only one person you want to see.
"Shut up." Rory's inner voice could be a pain in the ass.
And it sounded a lot like her mom.
But… Rory needed to own the fact she'd returned home because she harbored a hope of seeing him. Gib Larrison. To make amends and maybe—if the universe aligned the planets just right—seeing if sparks would fly again.
She suffered no illusion they'd pick up where they left off—she'd burned that bridge when she left. Burned. More like full-on nuked any chance they had then threw napalm on for good measure.
She pulled into what would become her living and working space, her residence studio, and rested her forehead on the steering wheel.
"Rory? I asked if three o'clock worked for you?" Concern filled her mom's voice. "Are you okay?"
Rory smiled. "Just tired, Mom. Three is good. I'm parked out front, just honk when you get here." She ended the call after promising she'd lock up behind her when she entered the old station.
Her mother's worry came through loud and clear. Dinah wanted Rory to stay at home—the one she'd grown up in after her parents divorced. Rory loved the old house, but needed space to call her own shots. And she definitely didn't want to become her troubleshooting mom's new project.
Cutting the engine, Rory exited her SUV and took a moment to picture what the station would like when she finished the renovations.
She made her way to the main entrance, put the key into the slot and unlocked the door. "Here's to turning the page and starting a new chapter."

I have the main story outlined here and I like where things are going. Here's hoping the sages play nice and don't decide to make a bunch of changes. LOL



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment