Sunday, May 12, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Ring It In


Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. It's rainy and chilly in Ohio and a nice day to stay in and be pampered. A few quiet hours alone is on my agenda today.

Had a solid television watching week. Since I watched so many penultimate episodes last week, this week ended up putting me in the finale zone. I started with the final episode of Underbelly: Razor. I'll admit I ended up being pretty satisfied with how things turned out. Kate and Tillie ended up living to ripe old ages for the times and Nellie, oddly enough, had an ending that rather suited her. Big Jim definitely got his due as did Phil the Jew.

Caught two more episodes of Midsomer Murders and thoroughly enjoyed both. I do like John and his wife along with their dog Sykes. Also watched two more episodes of Peter Gunn.

Started a new show from the CW. In the Dark ended up being more than I expected and, honestly, I enjoyed it. The heroine is messy and prickly and I like her flaws. The supporting cast is excellent. I'll watch more and see how it goes. It's been renewed for another season so I hope I like the rest of this one.

Watched another episode of Blade and remembered most of this one. There were a few bits I missed the first time around so it's nice to have those blanks filled in.

Also caught two more episodes of Classic Who and finished out the time meddler episodes. If memory serves, this is really the first sighting of the Master. Kind of like his origin story.

Watched the finale of Strike Back and I'm happy to say everyone I lived that I wanted to see still standing at the end. With the exception of Wyatt's marriage, which I have a feeling didn't survive. I can't wait for the final season now.

Caught Chicago Fire and enjoyed the episode. I'm not sold on Grissom being an okay guy yet but here's hoping they go in that direction. I really don't want to see Severied used as a pawn on the chessboard so I'll be pissed if that happens.

Iron Fist had a decent episode. Danny and Colleen are walking a very fine line and I'm hopeful their relationship can withstand the coming nightmare of dealing with Davos. Joy and Ward had some personal growth and Mary's storyline meshed well with the others. Davos is Davos and I'm still struggling to find some kind of empathy with him. It's not working.

Caught a great episode of Arrow and thoroughly enjoyed. I'm not a big fan of Diggle and Lyla keeping big secrets but I'll hold back from judging too much. Really loved Oliver and Laurel's reckoning with past sins. I love Oliver the most when he's pushing to be better than his parents.

Watched the finale of Murdoch Mysteries and, whew, I'm so glad things worked out the way they did. Miss Hart should probably watch her step and I'm kind of hoping she ends up becoming a good character. Nice to see where everyone is at the end, mostly in great places with their personal relationships.

Caught another episode of The Murders and I'm really loving this show. I'm excited to find out who is messing with Kate and I liked seeing Nolan not dealing with his personal life. Also loved having Kate back him up.

Watched the finale to Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries and, wow, I truly hoped the stupid superintendent would get what he deserved. Of course, he didn't and Peregrine might have lost her edge with him. We'll see what happens… if there's a second season. The chemistry between Steed and Peregrine is so delicious.

I'm nearing the end of my Painkiller Jane rewatch and I completely missed the episode I caught the first time around. Glad I got it in. I think there are two episodes left in this season, but I can't remember for certain.

Started another new show for me, Durham County. It's dark and twisty and I think I'm going to like it a lot. The first episode had a good mix of creepy happenings along with some good exposition. Looking forward to more.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Ring It In, a sexy short featuring a snowy New Year's Eve and an element of danger for our hero and heroine.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Recovering from post-holiday family drama, Paris Lightful wants to spend New Year's Eve in her uncle's cabin with nothing but her laptop and a ton of action movies. When near blizzard conditions strand Deputy Kelton Pine at her location, Paris doesn't welcome the intrusion, especially since Kelton has a major chip on his shoulder. But once the ice breaks between the couple, things heat up rather quickly.

And a snippety peek…

The end credits rolled on the latest Star Trek movie and Paris shook her bowl of popcorn.
She debated making more. "Nah. It's late." She started scrolling through her list to find another movie to watch.
A knock on the door startled her.
Unwinding her legs, she tossed off the fluffy throw she'd brought. "Maybe it's the Hendersons." A quick glance at the clock showed three a.m. "Okay, doubtful." She grabbed fireplace poker and went to answer.
The door swung open and the barrel of a handgun led the way. Paris bit back a yelp and raised the heavy iron, ready to swing.
"Sheriff's department. Don't move."
Paris checked her upward motion, bringing the poker back down to her side, and met a familiar gaze. "Kelton Pine?" When had he become a deputy?
Kelton lowered his weapon and holstered it. "Paris Lightful." A brief flash of distaste crossed his features.
The sneer in his tone caught her off guard, but she nodded. "Yeah. It's been what? Eight years?" Damn, she hadn't prepared for a blast from the past.
He grunted acknowledgment while his gaze scanned the space. "You here alone?" He finally glanced back in her direction, giving her a quick once-over.
Apparently, pleasantries weren't necessary.
Paris tilted her head to one side. "Yeah, with permission. Uncle Mick owns the cabin." What had his ass in a twist?
Kelton blinked. "Yeah, I know. Is he here?" Again, his gaze swept the immediate area.
She shook her head, growing more curious by the moment. "No, just me." She shivered. "Would you mind coming in and closing the door?" Backing up, she gave him space to enter. "Is there a problem?" His attitude had her hackles rising.
He gave her a long look and she racked her brain trying to figure out what the hell happened to the happy-go-lucky guy she'd had a huge crush on after high school.
Kel stepped further inside and shut the heavy oak. "I've got a guy who put his wife in the hospital on the loose." He folded his arm across his chest, the thick uniform jacket spreading at the bottom to reveal a tight stomach. "He usually heads up this way when we're looking for him."
Paris stifled an uneasy kick of concern. "I've been here since early evening. No one's been around that I know of." Then again, she hadn't been listening for a fugitive that might be traipsing around her uncle's cabin.
Kel dropped his arms and turned toward the door. "Keep this locked and keep the spare key in here with you." He retrieved the container Uncle Mick kept stashed in the mailbox and handed it to her.
His attitude bordered on hostile and Paris wanted to believe it had to do with the man he needed to find.
Something told her it didn't.
Kel nodded toward the porch. "The weather's nasty and looks to get worse. If anyone you don't know knocks on your door, don't let them in." He stepped out and hunched into his jacket.
Paris followed but didn't go outside. "I won't. Could you let me know if you find the guy?" When his shoulders tensed, she added a clarifier. "Or have someone else let me know?"
He didn't speak, only gave her a curt nod before climbing into his SUV and starting the engine.
Paris closed the door and wondered what the hell crawled up his ass. Not like she'd called and invited him over—he barged into the cabin then acted like she'd intruded on his day. Asshat.
Angry and unsettled, mainly because she'd liked him way back when, she went back to the couch and picked up with scrolling through her movie titles. She'd totally cop to being a little stung he didn't acknowledge their history, the little they'd had.
Paris picked a DC superhero movie and clicked on the title. "Forget him, Paris. He's obviously forgotten you." The opening credits started and she settled down with the throw again.
She'd probably be crashed out before the end of the film, but she hoped she'd dream of space ships and superheroes instead of the brooding deputy that stirred up old memories.


I'm having a lot of fun with this story. Paris is beyond tired of drama but she won't mind a little with Kelton.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment