Sunday, May 19, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Rise and Shine


Wow… I can't believe May is almost over. The whole time speeding up thing has to be true. Or maybe I just try to pack too much stuff into life? Who knows.

Kind of a so-so week of television viewing. I had quite a few irons in the fire and needed some solid focus on a couple of projects. Still, not a bad slate of shows overall.

As usual, I caught two episodes of Peter Gunn. One I remember seeing before the other one I didn't. Also caught two episodes of Classic Who, starting The Ark storyline.

Watched the second episode of In the Dark and while it didn't charm me as much as the first episode did, I enjoyed it. Even though I love how flawed our heroine is, I can see her abrasiveness becoming a tired gimmick at some point. I'll definitely keep watching because I really want to know what happened to her friend.

Caught another episode of Blade and it's one I remembered featuring Chase's rehab after being burned almost to a crisp… literally. I'm about halfway through the season and if memory serves, things start getting really intense from here on out.

Started a rewatch of Banshee. Man… I'd forgotten how crazy the first episode ended up being. This show didn't flinch from violence in any way and it's one of the reasons I couldn't stop watching. Ugh… not because I love violence. More because the characters jumped right out and grabbed my attention. I also fell in love with Job's character at first sight.

Began a new Australian series called Blue Heelers and have almost two episodes watched. I found the show on the TubiTV app but I'm watching on the Freedive app so I can catch the series from the beginning.

Watched another episode of Chicago Fire and it ended up being pretty decent. I'm not sure about the whole Kelly and Stella vibe, but I like that they're still supportive of each other even if they're not together. Also liked Matt being something of a dick to Herrman. I know, I know… why would I like that? Because I want to see how he deals with his trauma of almost being shot.

Caught episode nine of Iron Fist and, holy crap, it didn't disappoint. Danny fighting without the fist and nailing Davos with the syringe blew me away. Colleen fighting the gang of goons kicked ass. Ward and Walker's interaction almost made me laugh out loud, but it also ended up being kind of touching in a bizarre way. The fact that Ward immediately knew Joy needed help speaks volumes, even if Joy doesn't want to hear about it. Watching her fall a full story down was… actually kind of mind-blowing. And, of course, Misty is always an added benefit to the show. The end… well, I'm excited to see where things go.

Watched the premiere episode of Frankie Drake Mysteries's second season. Great episode with lots of good stuff for the women to do. I like Frankie's interactions with her mom and I loved Trudy saving the day.

Picked back up with Riverdale's third season. I'm not all the way through the episode yet but I already want to smack Hiram. I'm really not sure about the whole G&G thing but part of loving this show is embracing the completely batshit crazy storylines. I'm happy to be back in the game so to speak.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Rise and Shine, a novella that started with a writing community prompt of "the businessman and the barista".

Here's the mini-blurb:

Abram Purdy sees the same barista, Whitney Boone, every day of the week. She always knows exactly what he needs to get his day started. He runs into her on a Saturday jog and discovers she's accepting a teaching position at the local university and Abram decides to see if she'll still make his morning coffee—at his place.

And a snippety peek…

"Do you understand the requirements, Ms. Boone?"
Whitney took a moment before giving a nod. "Yes, I believe so." She recounted the stipulation back to Dan McCalister, the head of the art department at the university. "I'll be teaching art history for two groups so I can also start the curriculum for the art therapy class." She'd been meeting with McCalister about this for almost a year and her effort finally paid off.
Dan slid a folder in front of her. "We'd like to see how the therapy class goes before we decide to add it to the official list of majors. If that happens, you'll have the option to teach therapy full-time with input into the required courses." He sat back, leveling his gaze on hers.
Whitney wanted to a happy-chair dance, but resisted the urge. "I'd like to formally accept your offer. Do you need a written confirmation?" Her brain spun in twenty different directions.
She'd have to get started on lesson plans and write a budget for supplies. She'd also have to invest in a few key wardrobe pieces. Her current work uniform wouldn't work for teaching. Damn… she'd also have to give notice to her current employer.
So much to do in a short period of time.
McCalister shook his head. "We'll have you sign the official offer over in HR. You can pick up your employee packet and they'll answer any questions you have about parking, benefits, and whatever else you'll need to get started." He rose and came around his desk.
Whitney stood and thrust her hand forward. "Thank you. I'll look forward to getting started with the new semester." Dan's warm grip surrounded her palm.
He flashed a brief smile. "I think you'll be a good fit here. And I hope we work the art therapy into the major program."
He'd been a big supporter of her idea and went to bat for her with the curriculum advisors.
She exited his office and gave in to the desire to whirl around in excitement. She finally landed a teaching job in a subject she loved. Okay, maybe not the exact thing she loved, but close. She didn't mind the extra classes. Art history could be dry sometimes, but the works had so much beauty and significance.
Walking out into the sunny but chilly day, she followed the signs to the administration building. "Damn. I'm going to have to get used to working in the afternoons and evenings." Which would be okay, but it did mean she'd definitely have to leave her current position, which she'd figured would happen.
And only one thing made her slightly reluctant to give up her job at Rise and Shine, a coffee shop close to campus and the tech sector of the city.
Abram Purdy.
Whitney snorted. "Right, Whit. Give up an opportunity like this because of the hot guy who finally sparked your interest." The only one in two years… since she'd crawled out of the dating pool after a few too many titanic disasters.
She entered the admin building and gave her name to the assistant. Taking a seat, she waited to meet with the HR representative. And considered the dating game situation again.
Abram made her want to give going out with someone another go. Didn't have to be him. The fact her attraction for him pushed her into considering getting back out there would probably be enough.

Whitney is being a little nervous about having her goal in hand. I like writing that aspect of her character.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment