Sunday, August 4, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Summer's Eve

Whew. Long, long week with a ton of busywork stuff along with my regular workload. I sometimes get the idea that most of my family members don't realize how long or how many phone calls it often takes to make things happen. Luckily, I'm in a position where my job isn't at stake if I need to make those frequent and often time-sucking phone calls. But… bleh.

Had an even more sporadic viewing week. I'm not fairly behind on a lot of my shows. But… I did catch up on some laundry so not a bad tradeoff. I got two episodes of Blue Heelers in while folding and stacking clothes. LOL

I got a little more of Riverdale watched but haven't finished the episode yet. I might be getting to the place where I need to switch over to music. The main reason I've been light on viewing for the past few weeks is a heavy work schedule and lots of distractions from other drama.

I have so many playlists that I listen to while driving. I should probably start listening to them while working also. Maybe I'll start that this week.

Since there's not much to report, tonight's post is from Summer's Eve, an Organic Nature short.

Here's the mini-blurb:

The beginning of summer means Vin Derbish is chest-deep into his busy season. Eppie Collins is used to not seeing much of Vin during the month of June, but suggests a spontaneous camping trip when the weather turns nasty with thunderstorms. A few days in a cabin with pouring rain as their soundtrack can't be a bad thing.

And a snippety peek…

Eppie Collins ran inside to grab the phone. "Hello." Her breath came out in gasping pants.
Vin Derbish groaned. "Damn, Eppie, it sounds like you're having sex."
She laughed. "That would be hard to do since you're not around." The month of June hit squarely in the middle of his busiest time of year.
He sighed. "And I won't be for at least another week. But…" He paused to say something to one of his workers. "I have an idea for getting together if you can get someone to cover the farm this weekend and maybe make a couple of calls for me."
She liked the sound so far. "Fill me in and I'll bribe or beg whoever I have to." If Lily couldn't cover weekend hours, Dani might be able to.
And Dani owed Eppie for the Easter emergency, even if Eppie would've been there no matter what.
Vin's voice came through louder and clearer. "Whew. Sorry. Next time I'll wait until I'm actually in my truck before I call." He switched over to Bluetooth. "So… if you can find someone to cover, Greg mentioned he'd be staying in town from Wednesday through Monday morning. He's helping spearhead the organizers for the veterans who'll be participating in the summer reading program at the library. That means the cabin will be free and I thought maybe you could meet me there."
Eppie hesitated a little. "I'd love to, Vin, but how do you see this working? Me at the cabin for fourteen hours a day while you're working? Which isn't a no, by the way, more a question about whether it's worth making the trip for the whole weekend." She could go up on Saturday and head back on Sunday.
Vin chuckled. "Man, I'm screwing this up royally. Check the weather report. We're supposed to get a line of thunderstorms rolling through for the next five days." He waited until she'd pulled up her app. "There's a good chance I'll be available and I know how much you love storms."
Eppie pictured watching the clouds roll in from the cabin's small porch. "Oh, yeah. Sounds awesome." She waved to Lily when she entered through the front door. "Let me talk to Lily and double-check with Greg. I'll give you a call later, say after nine?" He usually worked until they had no light left.
This close to the summer solstice meant he put in some very late evenings.
Vin let out a whoop. "That'll work. I'll probably be having a beer with the guys at Mo's." The little tavern sat just across the county line and had half a dozen rooms Vin's crew had taken over.
Eppie grinned, getting excited. "I'll speak with Lily now. Love you." She ended the call and motioned Lily over. "I have a proposition for you…"

I love this couple so much. This series is a joy to write and coming up with small… snapshots… into their relationship is challenging but also fantastic.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment