Sunday, August 25, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Throw in the Towel


It's so weird to be in the last week of the month. Sometimes it felt like August would never end and other times like it flew right by. I'm actually looking forward to September.

Busy week with work projects but I did get some shows watched. I started a new episode of Blue Heelers and so far enjoy the second season.

Caught several episodes of Peter Gunn. There's a marathon next weekend I'll probably end up watching also.

Watched the Tomb of the Cybermen episodes of Classic Who. I'm bummed there aren't a lot of the second doctor's episodes available for viewing.

Also caught another Midsomer Murders episode. I like the new guy. I also need to figure out when they started working for Midsomer Constabulary instead of Causton CID. Probably way back in a previous season and I just missed it.

I'm in the middle of a 77 Sunset Strip marathon. This is one of my favorite classic shows.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Throw in the Towel, a novella that started with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Taurin Beach and Craig Wallmartin are top competitors on the mud run circuit. When Craig is caught by a reporter with nothing but a towel, it gives Taurin the perfect idea for catching his attention and finally getting what she wants. Him.

And a snippety peek…

Hell, yeah, it will.
Craig mulled over Taurin's response with his gaze on her retreating back.
Maybe he should call her back and ask her to explain. "Okay, no. I don't need a connect the dots lesson." But the flash of… what? Disbelief? Interest? Whatever…
It threw him.
And the view of her ass in the clinging shorts didn't help.
He followed the women's stats and Taurin ranked at the top of the pack. He'd made a name quickly, to the point of having a few nibbles from sponsors. But Tauren?
"Hell, she outclasses me." For the most part.
He started the mud runs for fun but developed a passion for competing. His work in sales gave him lots of flexibility and he'd finally managed to map out his schedule to coincide with the weekend races. Kind of nice to bump into the same people and get to know them a little.
"And, man, I want to get to know Taurin Beach more than a little."
He couldn't do that standing in a damned towel.
After taking a quick look around for more nosy reporters, he finished dressing and shoved his dirty gear into his duffel bag. His mind drifted to Taurin again.
"I wonder what she does for a living?" He'd have to check the affiliation bios.
Exiting the tent, he spied Taurin sitting by the huge bonfire the event managers would get started at dusk. Maybe I won't have to check the bios. She no longer had her gear and she sat in a comfortable camp chair. She must be staying on site. He had a room booked in a hotel about five miles up the state route. Man, he envied her if she had a camper or a trailer. If he kept competing, he'd definitely look into investing in one.
Why not start the getting to know Taurin better thing right now?
He made his way over to her location and dropped his bag on the ground. She glanced up from reading something on her phone, her eyebrow arched in question.
He hunkered down, using his duffel to keep his balance. "Mind if I ask a personal question?" Hopefully, she'd keep the running banter they had in the shower area going.
Her lips curved with a sly smirk. "Guess that depends on how personal it is." She tucked her phone into the cupholder on the chair. "Ask me and I'll let you know if I mind."
Yep. Definitely keeping the banter up.

I like writing about potential competitiveness between characters. In this case, a mutual respect already exists so their rivalry will hopefully be fun.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment