Sunday, October 25, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Green-Eyed Monster

Well, we're almost to the end of another month and I'm trying to contemplate what the final two months of 2020 are going to be like. Frankly, I can't do it. LOL And we still have a full moon to get through in October.

Had a slower than normal week for television. I'm honestly not in the mood to watch much and have been catching marathons on regular cable for the most part. Hallmark started their holiday fare and one of the books I copy edited is featured as a new movie this year. Last year, another book I copy edited had a premiere. That's always so exciting!

I did catch an episode or two of Silent Witness, but other than that, I mainly watch Ovation. I'm crossing my fingers they don't have a major programming change anytime soon. That happens so frequently for me. I fall in love with the line-up and all of a sudden, some new honcho comes in and effs it all up. I'm looking at you HGTV, SyFy, and BBC America. Or, I lose access to a channel that usually has classic stuff I really enjoy. Sigh.

Tonight's post is from Green-Eyed Monster, a novella that explores the character dynamic after a breakup when both characters realize they what they lost.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Dani works undercover sting operations and inadvertently shoots the girlfriend of Neal, one her coworkers. When the green-eyed monster of jealousy rears its head, Dani isn't sure how to help Neal through the trauma, but she'll move whatever stands in the way to make sure he's happy.

And a snippety peek…

Dani got home and questioned her sanity. She paced her living room, walking back and forth, letting her thoughts roam free. What made her think Neal would fall back in with her? He'd basically said the work sucked and he couldn't deal. And while she did completely understand why he felt the way he did, she couldn't imagine not doing the job.

Then again, she also couldn't imagine life without Neal either. A knock sounded on her door and she answered. Neal stood outside. She opened the door wide and invited him in.

Dutifully—and reluctantly—asked about Kyra. "How's she doing?"

Neal's lips curved. "She's on the mend. Her sister drove in from their hometown. She'll he taken care of."

Dani led Neal to the couch. "So..." She had no clue what to say.

Neal sat and tugged her down beside him. "Why am I here, right?"

Dani shrugged. Her nonexistent communication skills should stay in the background. And she'd promised to listen.

Neal grabbed her hand. "Basically, I came because we work. You and me."

Dani let a kernel of hope take root and laced their fingers together.

Neal gave her a shy grin. "Oddly, Kyra helped me see my personal truth. My problems with what we do are insignificant compared to why we do it." He hauled Dani close. "It's my turn for a wake-up call. My difference of opinion with you amounts to nothing. Not really."

She shook her head. "Don't say that. Because it does matter. When you're trying to get someone to listen and they refuse, there's a problem." Dani laid her heart out. "And I get that now. My inability to trust became my inability to be present when I needed to be."

Neal pressed a kiss to her temple. "We need each other. I need you to challenge me sometimes, especially when I get maudlin."

Dani nodded. "And I need you to remind me there's more at stake than the job." She cocked her head. "When did you realize? I mean, what was your moment of truth?"

Neal's lips twisted. "When we went after the counterfeiters right before we split. When I got stuck in the crossfire, pinned down, trying to avoid getting hit, the whole scenario seemed too stupid for words. The gangs, gun runners, drug cartels, none of them are going anywhere." He shifted and maneuvered her around to sit on his lap. "I really started wondering then." Dani stayed silent, hoping he'd continue because she planned to listen until he had no more words to say.

I like writing this one. I've got the story mapped out and hope to have it polished and ready in the near future.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment