Sunday, March 7, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Mistletoe Madness

Hello, March! It seems weird that a year ago next week, I went out with friends to celebrate birthdays and a week later we started the state shutdown. It's been both the longest and shortest time span between the two. I'm not sure that makes sense, but it's definitely how the last twelve months have been for me. LOL

My middle kiddo, who is actually a grown adult, ended up being admitted to the hospital on Monday. He's got some health issues going on and he's really tired of trips to urgent care, the ED, and various doctors. I'm hoping he eventually gets a solid diagnosis and starts to find some relief soon.

Had another fairly busy week with work. My projects have slowed down a little since last June, which is a blessing and a curse. I like having more time to hit some side projects but I also like to stay busy so I don't lose my groove.

Not a bad week for television. I caught a couple episodes of Silent Witness. Season nine started on such a downer but one of the things I love about British dramas is how they explore the journeys characters take. US television doesn't do that as often.

Watched another episode of No Offence. I'm still enjoying this show. I like the overreaching arc of a serial killer and the case of the week stuff also. Good show.

I caught another episode of Peak Practice. I'm almost finished with the second season and I'm looking forward to easing back into this show on a regular basis.

For fun, I started watching The Muppet Show series. I remember experiencing the original run with my two brothers. It was one show we all agreed on and watched together without fighting. Brings back good memories.

Caught a binge marathon of Hawaii Five-0 and I'm almost at the point where I stopped watching regularly. Not sure if seasons eight through the end will be on, but I'll try to finish out the series.

Finally, caught another arc of Classic Who and started season fourteen. I can't remember how many seasons the fourth doctor had, but I think I'm at the halfway point.

And that's pretty much it for this week. Tonight's post is from Mistletoe Madness, a holiday ménage story.

Here's the mini-blurb:

After burying her mother right before the holidays, Delaney Nixon comes back home to deal with the estate and decide what to do with her future. Two former beaus offer condolences and help, each hoping the spark might reignite even if they've agreed to leave old feelings alone while getting Delaney through the merry season.

And a snippety peek…

With her arm around Westin, Delaney gave Scotty a wide grin. "We do!" She turned the porch light on and led the men out.

They trailed down the steps and stood in the yard to take the scene in. The eaves and retaining columns on the porch were decked out in red and green lights. On either side of the stairs, white lights twined down the railing and two candy canes stood sentinel at the base.

Delaney sighed. "It's beautiful." She grabbed Scotty's hand and headed back up on the porch.

She stopped so Scotty stood under the mistletoe. Tipping her chin up, she kissed him. Scotty moaned against her lips and caught her face in his hand, taking the embrace deep and lingering. When he lifted his head, she eased away, a little breathless. Happy memories filled her mind and she let them in, owning how easy it would be to fall for him again.

Westin stood on the steps with his eyebrow arched. She sent a wink in his direction, a promise she hadn't forgotten about him either. And she hadn't. Giddy joy threatened to replace the lingering grief of losing her mom and she wanted to bask in it for a while.

She bounced on her toes. "Let's turn the inside ones on too." She headed back into the house with the men following her.

Westin did the honors, flipping the switch by entryway. Three downstairs rooms lit up. The sitting room in blue and white, the living room in a golden hue, and the kitchen in multicolor, her mom's favorite. Delaney would add some fun décor to the parlor, dining room, and half bath later.

Scotty jerked his head toward the living room. "Tree needs decorations." He slid his gaze sideways and arched a brow.

Delaney grinned. "The boxes are in the sitting room." She started forward, but Scotty shook his head.

He lifted a hand. "I'll get them. You two go on in." He crossed the hall and ducked into the room.

Westin followed her into the living room and she paused under some mistletoe.

He chuckled and hauled her close, bending his head. Delaney met his lips. The lip-lock got a little heated the same way it had with Scotty. She eased away when Scotty entered, clearing his throat. Her blood pumping, the only thing she could honestly claim would be having an intense attraction for both men. Not a good thing.

Easing away, Delaney grabbed the first box from Scotty's pile and the guys grabbed the others then followed her to the tree. They started the decorating, sharing memories from other holidays. Even though she'd dated both at different times, each had experience with how much her mom loved decorating using any and all excuses. Delaney enjoyed reminiscing and slid a little deeper into confusion. The two guys represented the happiest time in her life.

About halfway finished with the tree, Westin dropped a truth bomb. "You're trying to figure out which one of us you want, aren't you?" He placed a bulb on a limb, but sent her a pointed glance.

Delaney tried to sidestep the question. "What do you mean?" Right, she couldn't have been more obvious.

Westin waved a hand. "The mistletoe madness thing you've got going on. You're testing the waters, right?" He flicked his gaze toward Scotty.

She opened her mouth, then clamped it shut. What the hell could she say? Her face flamed hot.

Scotty laughed. "Busted." He nudged Westin. "Good call, buddy." He shared a high-five with Westin.

Delaney's mouth dropped open. "Wait, you're not pissed?" Did she step into an alternate universe?

Scotty shrugged. "I'm not. Westin?"

He shook his head. "Nope."

Delaney tried to wrap her brain around their responses. "You two never fail to amaze me." She sat on the sofa. "As to why … well … every relationship I've ever had falls short." She looked up and held their gazes. "Because no one compares to my first two loves." And no one probably ever would.

I have so much fun writing trios. This group dynamic is interesting to dive into for me. I love the revisiting the past to find the future kind of trope.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment