Sunday, March 14, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Mixed Signals

Well, I think I get my vaccine this week. I'm actually rather excited they made it to my age range. I'll look forward to being able to be out and about more than I currently am.

Had a slower work week, which ended up being nice to get caught up on some writing and start some new projects that have been waiting in the wings. Also caught some television.

Ended up watching two arcs of Classic Who. I am in season fourteen and but I'm not halfway as I originally thought.

Caught two episodes of No Offence. I'm almost finished with the first season and it's getting really good. I'm thoroughly enjoying this show.

Watched the first part of Silent Witness and started the second. It's actually kind of a creepy episode.

Caught another episode of Peak Practice, which ended up being really good. I'm near the end of the second season and almost ready to start the third.

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers and it continues a bit from the previous episode. It's getting a little more into the personal lives of the characters.

Also watched several episodes of The Muppet Show. I'm having some seriously fun childhood flashbacks.

And that's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Mixed Signals, a novella that has a friendly fire incident that spurs a reunion between the characters.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Avery and Trigg, both undercover cops, can't keep their relationship going. Their work makes it hard to stay connected. When mixed signals results in Avery shooting Trigg in a friendly fire incident, she wants to set the record straight and maybe test the waters to pick up where they left off.

And a snippety peek…

Avery woke up with a start. Trigg stood next to her chair, dressed in fresh clothes with his arm in a sling to keep his shoulder still. "What's going on?" Sunlight streamed through the window. "I slept here all night?" Well, yeah, her neck and back were screaming.

Trigg flashed a smile. "You did, yes. When the nurse came in to say visiting hours were over, I told her you needed rest."

She raised her eyebrows. "And she didn't make a fuss?"

The corner of Trigg's mouth kicked up in a half-grin. "I also told her you were the one who shot me and wanted to atone by sleeping in a horribly uncomfortable chair all night."

Avery laughed. "You're awful." She stretched and winced. "But accurate about the chair. Damn, I hurt." She sobered. "I'm assuming you get to leave?" Why else would he be dressed?

He nodded. "Waiting on a prescription for pain meds and the discharge papers." He planted his butt on the edge of the bed. "I'm restricted to desk duty after forty-eight hours at home." His mouth twisted in a grimace.

Avery leaned back in the chair. "Can I give you a ride? We could go to my place, get you settled." She could at least make sure he had meals and help out until he got used to the whole one-armed thing.

Trigg's eyebrow rose. "You think that's a good idea? Might be a little weird, all things considered." No doubt meaning their would-they-or-wouldn't-they conversation.

Avery shrugged. "Doesn't have to be strange. You're gonna need help with meals and navigating until you're used to the sling. I've got time off saved up I can use." She wanted to be there for him.

Trigg shook his head. "I can't ask you to use vacation time." He started to rise.

She stood first and nudged him back. "Trigg, you're not asking me. I'm telling you." Placing her hand on his, she laced their fingers together. "If my place doesn't work for you, I'll come stay at yours. No strings, expectations, or declarations needed. Consider this a favor from a friend who's been there and knows what a pain in the ass getting wounded can be." He really had no idea how difficult simple things would be until he adjusted.

Trigg cocked his head to one side. "You're sure you want to do this?" He squeezed her fingers.

She nodded. "I'm sure. No pressure to pick up where we left off or revisit our past. This is strictly an offer from someone who cares." She'd do her best to stay true to that promise.

Because she really wanted another shot, especially after realizing he could have died.

Trigg held her gaze for several long moments. "In that case, if we can stop by my place to get some stuff, I'd be happy to stay with you for a couple of days."

She grinned. "Perfect. I'll head down and get the seat adjusted and pull around to the valet area." Gathering her bag, she almost bumped into the nurse on her way back into the room.

With a quick wave to Trigg, she exited and headed for the elevator.

"Don't blow this, Ave." Exhaling slowly, she pushed the button to head for her car.

I'm excited to see what happens when Trigg and Avery spend some quality time together, which doesn't mean they'll be at the rainbows and unicorns stage yet.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin 

No comments:

Post a Comment