Sunday, March 28, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Muse It Up

It's been a weird week but also a productive one. I can't quite believe March is almost over. My middle kid has gallbladder surgery on Tuesday and my youngest kid has a long weekend coming up and I'm kind of excited to have everyone home.

Very slow work week so I got to focus on writing again. Made a lot of progress on the back end with a good bit or organizing and updating files. I got some new projects launched and made a big dent in some older ones that have been on the back burner. It's always nice to feel productive.

Also got some cleaning done, which is terrific and long overdue. I've been setting a timer and sticking with one area for that timeframe. Seems to be working well so far. I pick a room, set the limit, and get busy. Makes the job seem less daunting.

On the television front, I got three arcs of Classic Who watched this week. I'm almost finished with season fourteen and I miss Sarah Jane but Leela is pretty fun. I don't think I've seen any Leela episodes so it's kind of fun to see new fare.

I also watched several more episodes of The Muppet Show. I'm about halfway through the first season and other than remembering how annoying Miss Piggy's karate chops are I'm having great memories.

Caught the second part of Silent Witness and finished out the ninth season. I'll be starting ten this week.

Got another episode of Peak Practice in and should have one more for the second season then ready to start the third. I'm not sure how long Jack and Beth will be sticking around but I'm really enjoying this show.

I also got to catch an episode of Murdoch Mysteries. I'm behind on the new season, but I like to binge this show so I'll get caught up soon.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Muse It Up, a novella where the hero finds his muse in an odd place.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Nate Shaunessey can't get in the groove to write his new supernatural series. When he meets the new bartender, Hunter Gant, at his local pub, a muse is born. The only problem? Nate's afraid to tell her she's his latest inspiration.

And a snippety peek…

Hunter scrambled to answer her phone. "Hello." Sunlight poured through the window in the small apartment above the bar.

"Hey, sis. You doing okay?"

Her mouth curved. "I'd be doing better if you didn't call at an ungodly hour." Her brother, Keegan, never had good timing.

He chuckled. "It's after noon. Thought you might like to get some lunch now that you've settled in."

Yawning, she cracked an eye open. "Make it breakfast and you're on." She sat up, putting her phone on speaker. "I didn't get to bed until after five."

Keegan sputtered. "What? Are you having trouble or something?"

Hunter rolled her eyes. "Geez, bro. Put the badge away." She rifled through her drawer. "No, I'm not having trouble. Seriously? With a bookish type of clientele?" Might be different if Paul and Louanne had the type of patrons their brother Declan had—he ran a roadside bar that catered to motorcycle enthusiasts.

Keegan kicked a snarky reply back to her. "Right. Because people who write about serial killers and the dregs of humanity can't possibly be dangerous."

Hunter yanked a shirt over her head. "Keeg, you've been a cop too long." The lone wolf in the family, Keegan had chosen law enforcement over entrepreneurship.

He snorted. "Which means I've seen a lot of what some of those authors write about."

Tugging a pair of leggings on, Hunter paused midway. "Speaking of authors. Guess who parked his ass on one of my barstools last night." She finished dressing, grabbing a pair of socks then heading for the bathroom.

Keegan huffed out a breath. "No idea. Who?"

She turned the water on and snagged her toothbrush. "Nate Shaunessey." Muting the phone, she started brushing her teeth, grinning when Keegan finally found his voice.

"No shit? I love his books." He went off on a tangent about the current series ending. "Wait, you're not messing with me are you?"

She quickly rinsed and unmuted the phone. "No, of course not. I'm not Declan." She laughed when Keegan muttered about Declan's bad habit of telling tall tales.

Keegan finally asked, "So … what's he like in person?"

Hunter chuckled. "I'll fill you in at breakfast. Where do you want to meet?"

Keegan didn't hesitate. "Come out the back way. I'm sitting in the alley behind the bar. We can decide on the way."

Hunter opened the door and, sure enough, her brother's personal vehicle idled at the bottom of the stairs. "Dammit, Keegan." She cut the call to the sound of his laughter.

I really like this story and I love the sibling dynamic Hunter has going on. I'm excited to see where things go.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin 

No comments:

Post a Comment