Sunday, March 21, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Monumental Headache

I did get my vaccine this past Tuesday and only had mild side effects, for which I'm very grateful. I'm glad it's out of the way and look forward to everyone else getting theirs and finding a new normal.

Had another slower work week and caught up on more writing. It's nice to focus for longer periods when I'm able to. Had a few distractions involving family member health issues but both of those were expected.

Television ended up being fairly decent this week. I finished a new arc of Classic Who and it might be the last one with Sarah Jane Smith. I'm not sure but should find out this week.

Caught an episode of Peak Practice. Jack and Amanda finally got married and had some drama prior to the wedding.

Caught the last two episodes of No Offence's first season and, wow, what a great ending. A little twisty and turny but very satisfying. Also caught the deleted scenes and a behind the scenes meeting of the cast and creator. Worth the watch.

Watched a couple episodes of The Muppet Show. Again, I had some great memories of watching as a kid. I'm enjoying diving back into the show.

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers but haven't made it very far yet. Looks like a good episode so far.

Caught another episode of Silent Witness. Almost at the end of season nine. This looks like another good two-parter.

Did a binge marathon of Hawaii Five-0 and watched a good portion of season nine. I'll have to revisit because I missed some key points, but it's a decent season so far.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Monumental Headache, a novella that has my characters dealing with a situation with another coworker that isn't fun for them.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Cadee Walsh has a high stress job and needs to blow off steam. She spends the night with Worth Pettigrew, recharging from the incredible sex. Imagine her mortification when she finds out he's her new boss.

And a snippety peek…

Breathing a little easier, he pulled into the back alley of the address he provided to Cadee. The little hole in the wall diner had good food and the owners were friends of his. Parking under an awning-covered carport, he got out of the car and entered the restaurant through the rear entrance. Making his way to the dining room via the kitchen, he spotted Cadee, sitting at the bar, chatting with Ethel. She glanced up when he came through the café doors and quirked an eyebrow.

Ethel waved them to a booth in a secluded corner. "I'll bring your order in a few. The usual?" She didn't wait for a reply, because Worth never deviated from his favorite meal.

Cadee scooted into the booth and placed her purse and jacket on the seat. "What's the usual? Am I going to like it?" Her knee bobbed under the table, betraying her antsy agitation.

Worth's lips curved. "I think you'll enjoy it. I call it John's blue plate special, but it's a steak salad with house dressing, two crusty rolls, and a side of grilled pineapple." He settled across from Cadee.

She closed her eyes. "You're right. I'll love it." Her eyes popped open. "They only make this blue plate special for you, don't they?"

He laughed. "You got it in one. Remember when I told you I had ties to the community?" He glanced behind the counter. "Ethel and John are it. They lived beside my grandparents when I was growing up and I spent a lot of time with them during the summers and on holiday visits." As much as he'd love to talk about old friends, he steered the conversation where it needed to go. "But we didn't come here to talk about my childhood."

Cadee sighed. "No, you're going to fill me in about Matt." Her gaze collided with Worth's. "I'm a little wigged out he knows you spent the night with me." She opened her mouth to say more, but Ethel interrupted.

She carried a big tray with two of everything on it. "Here we go. Steak salad, rolls, and grilled pineapple." Shuffling the dishes to the table, she also placed two cups of water along with two taller glasses of iced tea between them.

Worth rubbed his hands together. "Ethel, you're the best." When she cleared her throat and glanced toward Cadee, Worth made the introductions. "Ethel, this is Cadee, a colleague from work. Cadee, meet Ethel Merryman."

Cadee extended her hand. "Happy to meet you, Ethel. I can't wait to dig into this salad." Picking up her fork, she tucked into the leafy greens and popped a bite into her mouth.

Her eyes closed in bliss when she chewed than swallowed.

Worth grinned. She'd just made his night.

Ethel chuckled. "Great dressing, isn't it?"

Cadee nodded, stuffing another mouthful between her lips.

Ethel leaned down and whispered, "It's Worth's recipe. Super-secret ingredients, but he might share it with you." Turning around, she stuck the tray under her arm and greeted a new customer coming in through the main door.

Cadee's eyes widened then narrowed. "You're a man of many talents, aren't you?" She took a drink of her water. "We'll revisit this later." Picking up her knife, she sliced through one of the rolls. "But you were going to fill me in about Matt."

Worth picked his utensils up and nodded. "He's got it bad for you." He speared some lettuce onto the fork. "How long has this thing been going on?"

Cadee shot him an angry look. "That's the problem. There is no thing." She took a bite of her roll, chewing thoughtfully. "Okay, there is, but it's one-sided and all on Matt. I have no interest in him."

Worth breathed a little easier. He hoped he hadn't walked into a lover's spat, as Matt tried to imply. But after the shit week with Cadee, he needed to be certain.

Worth dug into his food but continued the conversation. "Basically, Matt threatened to come after me if I didn't back off. He told me you two were working through some issues and I'd be smart to not get involved in a workplace romance, especially since you're prone to them." He stuffed a bite of roll into his mouth and waited for her response.

She didn't disappoint. "Are you serious?" Her fork dropped to the table with a clatter.

This story started out one way and turned into something else and I'm happy about it. I love it when the characters show me something different.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment