Sunday, October 31, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Stone Cold Sober

Happy Halloween to those who observe. We had our trick or treat last night and it was nice to be outside with semi-decent weather to enjoy fall. For me, it was wonderful to take a break from some renovation in the bathroom. I'm not twenty-five anymore and I'm definitely feeling that right now. LOL

Not a bad week for television, I started with another episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries and quite enjoyed it. I love the quirkiness of the characters and the cases. Such a great show.

Watched a two-part Silent Witness and I vaguely remembered this one. It's odd how a season from a decade or so ago holds up so well. What goes around comes around.

Caught two arcs of Classic Who, which brings me close to the end of season twenty. Pretty sure the Master is going to show up again around the final arc.

Enjoyed two episodes of The Muppet Show. Liza Minnelli and Phyllis George were the guest stars.

Finished up season six of Prime Suspect. I'll be starting the final season this week. I'm not sure what I'll move on to after this series but I'll find something.

Watched two episodes of Roswell: The Final Verdict. I kind of like the use of AI truth detection they're using to determine whether witness accounts about the crash are true or not. Interesting viewing.

Caught another episode of Peak Practice. I'm coming up on the last few episodes of season five and I'm still enjoying the series. Slowly but surely making my way to season twelve with one of my favorite actors in an early role.

Got some great information from MasterClass with Brandon McMillan. I'll be coming back to this lesson in the near future.

Started the new-to-me series Glitch and got rather hooked on the first episode. My sibling highly recommended this one and I look forward to discussing it with him.

Watched Pop Profile: Demi Lovato and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not overly familiar with her career and the profile was interesting to follow along.

Caught another episode of Star Trek: Discovery. Things are definitely heating up and I can't decide if I'm really down with what's going on with Ash or if I need to shake my head over it. Either way, I'm so invested in what happens I can't wait for the next episode.

Great Chicago Med episode with Halsted, Rhodes, and Reese learning some lessons. I always find the episode names interesting and I love how they almost always end up fitting the theme.

Watched another Midsomer Murders episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. After twenty-two seasons that's saying something. I have one more episode of this season then, hopefully, a new season in the near future.

That's pretty much it for this week's viewing update. Tonight's post is from Stone-Cold Sober, a novella where the heroine meets her hero at a terrible time.

Here's the mini-blurb:

When Tansy Jons meets West Tamesin, they have an instant connection, but she's dating one of his oldest friends. A drunken evening and almost hook-up with West has Tansy examining what she feels as soon as she's stone-cold sober.

And a snippety peek…

West stood at the bar, chatting with the bartender Reuben Chidwell, a former classmate from high school. "I'll have another." He nodded toward the glass.

Reuben smirked. "Sure you only want soda water?"

West bobbed his head. "Yeah. Had way too much last night."

The door opened and West glanced up and locked gazes with David. A kick of guilt hit his stomach but West kept his didn't look away. David charged forward and West braced for confrontation, ready to take whatever David dished out.

He didn't have to wait long. David drew his arm back and smashed his fist into West's face. His head snapped back and pain bloomed along his jawline and inside his mouth where the tender inner skin of his cheek met with hard, unyielding teeth.

Reuben leaned across the bar. "Damn, Matthews. You can walk your ass right back out of here, if you're gonna start shit."

West waved off the bartender. "It's all right, Reuben. He's done." He arched a brow and rubbed his jaw. "What the hell, man?" As if he didn't know.

David gave West a level stare. "Don't even. You know exactly what the hell." He leaned in close. "But if you need clarification, let's say I know how to keep my dick in my pants." His voice dropped lower. "Something you seem to struggle with."

West took a drink to ease the burn along the inside of his cheek. "Okay. For the record, my dick never left my pants." Not that it didn't want to…

David visibly relaxed, his ruffled feathers soothed. "Good to hear. Still a dick move."

West grunted. "It was and I'm sorry. Won't happen again." He shook his head. "We've been friends too long for me to wreck what you and Tansy have."

David snorted. "Had. Tansy and I are over." He turned and leaned against the bar. "You've piqued her interest enough that she ended things with me." His shoulders slumped and he sighed. Stunned, West signaled to Reuben to pour David a beer.

If West had to be honest, he'd admit to being intrigued by Tansy's move.

He set that thought aside and nodded toward the mug on the counter. "Look, again, I'm sorry. Beer's on me."

David grabbed the brew and took a long, slow drink.

West's phone pinged and he fished it out of his pocket.

A text from Tansy. "I found a place." She included the address and asked when he could meet.

West showed David the message. "In the interest of full disclosure, I'm don't want to hide anything from you."

David lifted his chin. "Appreciate the gesture, man, but not necessary."

West huffed out a breath. "You know that's not how it works. You're my best friend. Even if you two aren't together anymore, I'm not moving in on her."

David laughed. "Dude, you might not have a choice. Just saying." He finished his beer and set the mug on the bar. "By the way, rumor has it a position is open at the sheriff's office. You might want to check it out." He pushed away from the counter.

West arched a brow. "Thanks for the heads-up." He caught David's arm. "You and me? We okay?" He wouldn't stick around if they weren't.

David shrugged. "We will be. And I'm serious when I say don't close yourself off." He met West's gaze. "I don't know if Tansy and I would've worked out long-term. Gretchen still takes up space in my head sometimes and I think Tansy got that clue before I did." He lifted his chin and headed for the door.

West stared after him not quite sure what to do with the admission or the advice.

I love how this story is coming together. Meeting the right person at the wrong time is a favorite trope of mine.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment