Sunday, November 7, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Summer's Eve

Well … November has arrived and the weather is cooling off to true fall-like temperatures. It's pretty chilly when I take the dogs out for the final time at night. Brrr.

Had a limited work week with only one project on my desk. Sometimes it's nice to have the extra time to get things done around the house. I'm still on my great clear-out and making solid progress. I have a new couch coming later this month and I'm excited to get everything ready for it.

Decent week of television. I caught four episodes of The Muppet Show. Anne Murray, Jonathan Winters, Star Wars / Mark Hamill, and Christopher Reeve were the guest stars. I remember the Star Wars episode from childhood. My brothers and I loved that one.

Finished up Prime Suspect and actually loved the way the series ended. I don't remember if I actually got to finish the entire series when I watched the first time so I'm glad I got to complete the entire run. Really like the bookend of how it began with how it ended.

Watched two episodes of Peak Practice. As suspected, David's wife kind of went off the rails and the climax of that happened in the second episode. I'm also enjoying Paul's storyline. Nice to see him pop up about every other episode.

Caught two more MasterClass lessons with Brandon McMillan. He's very good at explaining his technique and I'm hoping I'll be able to work with both dogs to have them behave better.

Watched another episode of Glitch and this show is as trippy as I thought it would be. Three episodes in and I'm still not quite sure what's going on. James has quite the dilemma on two fronts and it's almost uncomfortable watching him juggle everything.

Enjoyed another Pop Profiles. This one featured Jennifer Lopez. I didn't learn a lot of new things about her career but I loved revisiting some of her stellar moments.

Caught two more episodes of Classic Rugrats. This show is so much fun to revisit. Had a chance to talk to my oldest and reminisce a little about how much we loved watching when he was little.

Watched a great episode of Chicago Med. I'm starting to really enjoy Dr. Latham. I also loved getting into a little more of Goodwin's story. Also really liked Reece's storyline for this episode.

Enjoyed another episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries. I've been enjoying having Frodo pop up in weird jobs. My hope is he'll eventually end up at the Toad and Lion. He'd make a great bartender.

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers. This one is interesting with a rural flavor to it. I'm feeling bad for Adam. He's got it bad for Chris and she's not going there because of their age difference.

Started the final two-parter of Silent Witness for season thirteen. This is another South Africa setting. I have a very vague memory of what happened the first time I watched and I'm looking forward to the second part to see if I remember anything else.

I'm almost finished with season twenty of Classic Who. The Master did show up again in a two-part arc and that leaves one final episode left. "The Five Doctors" will round out the season and we'll be on to twenty-one.

Enjoyed another episode of Roswell: The Final Verdict. This focused on how the government went to a lot of trouble to silence witnesses of the crash. The AI found a couple of false statements and that always interests me. Looking forward to the next episode.

That's pretty much it for this week's update. Tonight's post is from Summer's Eve, an Organic Nature short for June.

Here's the mini-blurb:

The beginning of summer means Vin Derbish is chest-deep into his busy season. Eppie Collins is used to not seeing much of Vin during the month of June, but suggests a spontaneous camping trip when the weather turns nasty with thunderstorms. A few days in a cabin with pouring rain as their soundtrack can't be a bad thing.

And a snippety peek…

Vin took a sip of beer and set the mug on the table to fish his phone out of his pocket. "Derbish."

Eppie chuckled. "Forgot to check the ID, didn't you?"

His lips kicked into a grin. "Yep. It's dark in here." He waited a beat. "What's the plan?" He really hoped she'd be able to meet him.

Eppie pitched her voice low. "The plan is for you to cut out as soon as you can and make your way to the cabin."

Vin fist-pumped the air. "You'll meet me?" He took another long draw of his beer.

Eppie made a purring sound. "No, you'll meet me. I'm already here." She paused a moment. "Sans clothes."

Vin set the mug down and stood up. "Seriously? I'm on my way." He hung up to the sound of her laughter.

Signaling to one of his foremen, Vin nodded toward the door. Mark gave Vin a thumbs-up and Vin exited Mo's to hear a low rumble of thunder. The wind picked up a little and the tree limbs swayed, the leaves turning inside out.

Vin made a dash to his truck and looked out the windshield. "Rain's headed this way." The clouds started rolling in and the sky darkened a little more.

He started the engine and put the vehicle in gear. Twenty minutes to the cabin … he'd be racing the weather. Turning out onto the highway, big, fat raindrops started an intermittent plop, plop, plop on the hood of his truck. Excitement thrummed under his skin when the sky lightened up from lightning off in the distance.

He couldn't wait to get to Eppie. He missed her when the long hours kept him away. Her love of a good storm followed by a day or two of drenching rain meant he'd have an enjoyable break after working nonstop for two weeks.

Her words echoed in his mind. Sans clothes. Maybe she'd greet him at the door … or be waiting in the bed. Didn't matter to him. He planned to get naked within the first thirty seconds of arrival.

"Get ready, Ep. We've got some lost time to make up for."

Eppie and Vin are so much fun and I love writing little moments in the progression of their relationship.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment