Sunday, November 14, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Surf's Up

Well, we're finally getting November weather. It's chilly outside and we got some snow showers that really ended up being flurries flying wildly in the wind. I'm kind of excited to get into the true depth of fall.

Had a decent week of catching up on projects and doing more organizing. I also made a dent in my holiday shopping. I'm making an effort to be on top of that this year.

Pretty solid week of viewing also. I got two episodes of Glitch in. I thought I'd already watched the third episode but I hadn't. So I'll be starting episode five this week. Some crazy stuff happened and we're down two characters. I'm very interested in what the hell happened to Vic.

Caught another musical icon episode. Whitney Houston: We Will Always Love You ended up being full of stuff I didn't know or remember about the singer. I like revisiting the lives of those we've lost.

Watched the penultimate episode of Star Trek: Discovery. Definitely had a twist I sort of expected but didn't know if the show would go there. They totally did. I'm kind of excited to see the finale then dive into the Ready Room breakdowns. I kind of hope Wil loses his mind over some of the twists and turns. He's so much fun because he's such a huge fan.

Enjoyed two episode of Chicago Med. I'm almost through the second season with one more episode to go. I'm kind of sad about Robin's descent, especially because Rhodes is such a nice guy. I'm also thrilled with how Reese is coming into her own and standing up for herself. Her confidence is amazing this season.

Caught the season finale of Midsomer Murders. Really liked this one and loved the mystery. I rather hope there's another season in the works.

Finished season thirteen of Silent Witness and started the first episode of season fourteen. I'm a little iffy on whether I remember this one or not. Some of the details are pinging so I think I did watch it before.

Watched the season twenty finale of Classic Who. Thoroughly enjoyed "The Five Doctors" and seeing all the former companions back for a spin. Although Four didn't have much of anything to do, which, honestly, isn't a huge loss. He'd been the most recent anyway.

Caught another episode of Roswell: The Final Verdict and liked the deep dive into how some of the witnesses were discredited and humiliated. Everything that happened with the Roswell incident is fascinating.

Enjoyed two more episodes of The Muppet Show. Lynda Carter and Carol Channing were the guest stars. The muppets trying to be super heroes was hilarious.

Started the updated version of Fantasy Island. Interesting premise and pretty decent storylines. I'll finish out the season and see if things hold up.

Caught another episode of Peak Practice. I'm almost through season five and I'm still liking the mix of partners. I think I have two episodes left before season six starts.

Watched another MasterClass with Brandon McMillan. This one gave me some good insight into how to keep my doggos from jumping. I'm going to try some of the techniques because that's a huge problem with both dogs.

Enjoyed two episodes of Classic Rugrats. Two were favorites from watching with my kiddos when they were little. This show is so much fun to revisit.

Also caught another episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries. Nice to see Jared back and what a terrific case. I'm hoping the lawyer lady gets caught at some point. Because she's definitely guilty. Also wondering if the final duo will end up featuring in another episode at some point.

And that's pretty much it for this week's television update. Tonight's post is from Surf's Up, a fun novella that puts the characters into a dangerous situation but gives them a new perspective on each other.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Marla Siff and Farley Osbourne protect a wealthy businessman as part of his entourage. People assume tech geek Farley is the muscle, but Marla is the combat trained protective detail. When a threat looms, they retreat to the private shores of their client's own island and Marla and Farley fight their attraction to keep their boss safe.

And a snippety peek…

Marla crossed her arms over her chest. "Seriously?" With Lane, sometimes one never knew.

Lane nodded. "Yes. You two need a break. The island is secure for the most part, but I know you'll both want to stay close." He arched a brow, wondering if she'd contradict him. "Why not learn a new skill?"

Marla shot a glance toward Farley. He'd be her deciding factor. She didn't have a specific desire to ride waves, but she wouldn't make a fuss if Farley got on board.

He shrugged. "Always wanted to surf. Could be fun." His lips kicked into a grin.

Her shoulders squared. "Fine. I guess it could come in handy to know how to hang ten." Right, as if she'd ever have to chase an opponent on a surfboard.

Lane clapped his hands. "Awesome." He sat up. "By the way, I took the liberty of having dinner sent to the duplex. The suits can handle keeping watch after you secure the house." He got up. "I'm going for a swim in the lap pool then having my own dinner. I won't be leaving the house."

Nice of Lane to keep them informed. Maybe the latest attempt knocked some fear into him.

Farley's fingers flew over his tablet the cameras whirred into position and the perimeter alarms being set clicked audibly on the device. He never failed to stay on top of the gadgets that protected their employer. The suits really didn't have much to do except patrol the interior of the huge manor house.

But … it never failed to be on the safe side.

She shot a chance toward Lane. "Appreciate the update, but it goes without saying, call if you decide you need fresh air or anything equally stupid." She planted a hand on her hip. "I don't care if it's the middle of the night." She added one more reminder. "I'm serious, Lane."

Farley headed toward the rear exit and she started to follow.

Lane responded. "I won't forget, Marla. You two have a nice dinner and relax. I'm not taking any chances."

From your lips to whatever rules the universe's ears.

Marla met Farley at the door. "Please make sure you ping my phone so I can check the monitors throughout the night."

Farley ducked outside. "I'll do one better." He crossed the short distance to the guest duplex they shared when in residence.

He pushed his door open and Marla stepped in behind him. His side of the duplex mirrored hers but had lots of earthy tones and modern vibes, while hers had bold colors and rustic industrial touches. She kind of liked his blend of natural shades mixed with the sleek tech towers, monitors, and clean lines of the furniture.

He unzipped his gear bag and pulled out a tablet. "This is for you. Better access and a bigger screen." He brought up the security app.

She took the device. "Wow. Thanks." Nodding toward the table in the dining area, she chuckled. "Lane went overboard again. There's enough food over there to feed a family." No doubt her table held a matching spread.

Farley's lips twitched. "I know. I'll end up having leftovers for breakfast."

She probably would, too.

Breakfast reminded her of their newly planned excursion.

She frowned and met Farley's gaze. "Did you find anything hinky at all with Janneson?" He'd had time to do a more thorough dive.

Farley shook his head. "I went deep and he's clean."

She let out a relieved sigh. "Good. It'll be nice to have something resembling a vacation." Waving the tablet, she stared toward the door. "Thanks again for the gadget. Enjoy your dinner."

Farley lifted a hand. "You, too. I'll let you know when Lane gets started in the morning."

Meaning he'd take morning detail around five a.m. and give her time to sleep in a little.

Nice.

This story is so much fun. Marla and Farley ride the whirlwind that Lane leaves in his wake but they enjoy it.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin 

No comments:

Post a Comment