Sunday, February 27, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Voices Carry

Whew. It's been a week, right? I finished up several projects and got a couple of new ones lined up. My workload is changing in a lot of ways and I'm happily adapting to the new lineup. Change is good, even when you (meaning me) don't like it. At least that's what I've discovered lately.

Had a very solid week of television viewing. I have something of a pattern and I watch shows on a bit of a schedule. This week everything kind of seemed to speed along.

I ended up getting in three Snoopy in Space: The Search for Life. I'm enjoying the second season of this show. The episodes are pretty short and fun to watch.

Finished up the Queens of Mystery second part and thoroughly enjoyed the episode. I'm a little frustrated by the overarching mystery of Mattie's mom but I'm very willing to give this show a lot of leeway.

Watched three episodes of Silent Witness. The second two-parter ended up being pretty enjoyable. I like the vibe of having the forensic science mixed in with the pathology. After fifteen seasons, it's probably past time to introduce that into the mix.

Enjoyed two more Classic Who episodes. I actually kind of like the format for this season with Six being on trial. It's a nice change of pace and something a little different from the norm.

Caught two more episodes of The Muppets. Weirdly, the show really started to gel for me in the last couple of episodes. It's more inclusive and somewhat similar to the older format. And it's fun.

Watched two more episodes of The Alaska Triangle. I'm very much into the unknown mysteries that haven't been discovered there yet. Dinosaurs, UFOs, weird paranormal encounters. This show has everything.

I'm loving Harrow. I got two more episodes watched and the walls are kind of closing in on the bigger arc of who killed Robert Quinn. I'm kind of excited to see where it ends up.

Caught another episode of Peak Practice and the characters said good-bye to David. It's about halfway through the seventh season and I'm interested in what will follow and what the fallout will be.

Enjoyed two more MasterClass lessons with Es Devlin. She discussed mazes and patterns and the audience and both classes were very interesting. If nothing else, she's given me a new way of looking at projects and I'm here for that.

Got two episodes of Paranoid in and, wow, things are heating up. This is a very twisty and turny mystery and I like how things are playing out. I also love that the three leads are kind of a total mess but still get the job done.

Caught two episodes of Classic Rugrats. While none were my faves, they were great to watch as I'd kind of forgotten them. Nice to be reminded.

Watched two episodes of Chicago Med and I really, really don't like the COO person. As a foil for Sharon, I get the need to have her but, yikes, she's awful, terrible, and rage inducing.

Enjoyed two bonus episodes of The Brokenwood Mysteries. A behind-the-scenes short and an interview with the two leads. I finished out everything that's currently available and I'll have to find a new show to start this week to go along with Queens of Mystery.

Got the first of a two-part Blue Heelers watched. I have a sneaky feeling this might be Wayne's swan song. The episode ended up being better than I expected. Can't wait to finish it next week.

Star Trek: Discovery once again kind of blew my mind. I love the interaction with Spock and Michael. The same goes for Michael and Ash. Actually, all the relationships on this show are amazing. Seriously, amazing.

That's pretty much it for this week's update. Tonight's post is from Voices Carry, a novella that puts the characters in peril after they realize their mutual attraction.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Summer Blaine is a struggling artist who always listens to Detective Fitch Falconer's tales of triumphs and woes when he drops by the diner she works in to make ends meet. When she gets a chance to display her art, she invites Fitch to the gallery to see her true passion. Unfortunately, a ghost from her past tries to get in the way and it's up to Fitch to find out who wants her dead.

And a snippety peek…

Summer set her bag on the counter. "Stan, don't forget to call if you need someone to fill in. I'm going to be around but painting my ass off to get ready for the show." She turned when the bell chimed over the door and hoped Fitch would there to greet her.

Instead of Fitch, a customer from earlier in the evening strolled in. Summer got a strange vibe but tried to shrug it off. Fitch would be here soon.

Stan came around the counter. "Hey, man. We're closed." He flipped the lights in the kitchen off.

The customer lifted his chin. "Know that. Came to see if Summer would like to go for a drink." He shoved his hands in his back pockets.

Summer glanced toward Stan. "Frank got the special for dinner earlier." She turned her attention to Frank. "I'm sorry, but I have a previous commitment."

Frank relaxed his stance. "How about tomorrow then?"

Summer tamped down the nervous twinge snaking along her spine. "Can't. I'm tied up for the next two weeks and I'm seeing someone."

Frank made a move toward her. "I don't believe you."

The bell chimed again and Summer breathed a little easier when Fitch entered the diner.

"Exactly what don't you believe?"

The guy turned, giving Fitch a nasty look. "None of your business, dude. I asked the lady out and she said she can't go."

Fitch inclined his chin. "Right. Meaning the lady said no." He tilted his head to one side. "Do you understand the definition of the word?" He straightened. "If not, I'll be happy to set you straight." He swept his jacket aside, flashing his badge.

Frank backed up, a little wary now that he had a full understanding of the situation. "But she was all nice and flirty with me earlier—"

Fitch cut him off. "Being nice to someone isn't a crime. It's also not an open invitation or permission for you to help yourself." He grasped Frank's shoulder and propelled him toward the exit. "You'd do well to remember that for future reference." He pushed the door open. "Now get moving before I have a uniformed officer come down and arrest you for being a pain in the ass." Once Frank cleared the threshold, Fitch pulled the glass panel shut and locked it up.

Stan gave a low whistle. "Damn, that was smooth."

Fitch glanced over his shoulder. "Sorry to butt in, but glad I got here when I did."

Summer let out a relieved sigh. "He was probably harmless, but didn't want to take no for an answer."

"Too right he didn't." Stan grunted. "If he'd gotten any closer to Summer, you'd be arresting me for assault. I didn't like the vibe he gave off."

Summer's eyes widened. "So, it wasn't just me then." She didn't say more, but she didn't have to.

Both men knew why she tended to be skittish.

Fitch gave a nod to Stan. "Not if Stan here got creeped out." He wrapped an arm around Summer. "You okay?"

Her head bobbed up and down. "Yeah. I'm good." She grabbed her bag off the counter. "Ready to head out?"

Fitch squeezed her shoulder. "Sure, let's go." He lifted a hand. "'Night, Stan."

Summer glanced over her shoulder. "Bye, Stan. Call me if you need anything."

Stan waved them out. "Will do. I'll see you on your big night."

This one has a little suspense and I like where the characters are headed.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin 

No comments:

Post a Comment