Sunday, May 29, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Academic Challenge

Crap. I can't believe May is almost over. It's been a crazy month. We're finally getting through the Covid crud. Thankfully, I'm still negative and I'm crossing my fingers I stay that way.

Had a solid week of work projects and got some extra writing in also. My oracle cards this week had a majority of work-life balance advice this week and I'm trying to pay heed and take time to do fun stuff along with the work.

Had a semi-decent week of viewing. Made a full round of my regular streaming services and played a little catch up with some small things I'd been saving up for a while.

Caught another episode of The Snoopy Show and laughed out loud several times. Pitty Snoopy against Lucy is always fun.

Started Signora Volpe because two of my favorite actors are in it and it's a mystery series. Really enjoyed the first episode and I'm looking forward to more.

Watched the first part of Silent Witness. Very interesting episode and a bit of a departure from the way cases are usually presented. I'm looking forward to the second part.

Finished up a Classic Who arc and actually kind of enjoyed it. This is an odd season and I'm still not quite sure how I feel about Mel as a companion.

Enjoyed another episode of The Mandalorian. I love the pacing and the small reveals and the humor. This is a fun show even if it not necessarily supposed to be.

Caught another episode of Harrow and loved it. Putting Farley, Harrow, and Daniels in the wild ended up being hilarious. Not sure how I feel about Grace and her ex—I'm not really that interested and I don't like being jerked around. I do know I'm not a fan of James and I'm going to be interested to see if they end up making him as awful as I think they will.

Watched another episode of Blue Heelers and enjoyed it. It's always cool to see how the southern hemisphere celebrates a holiday like Christmas when it's the middle of summer for them.

Enjoyed another MasterClass lesson with Neil deGrasse Tyson. I liked the focus on inspiring curiosity in your audience. There were a couple of great takeaways from that.

Caught another episode of The Babysitter's Club and, again, I totally get why so many people loved this show. I'll savor the two seasons available.

Watched two more episodes of Classic Rugrats. I love the trip down memory lane and how much fun the show has with classic pop culture references.

Finished season four of Chicago Med and, wow, ending on a cliffhanger for sure. I'm glad I can start season five right away.

Last but not least, I caught up on a few things I've had on hold. I watched several Passionflix options. Dirty, Sweet Valentine, Wicked bloopers, and I finally finished up Seduction and Snacks, which I ended up enjoying so much. The laugh out loud funny moments were exactly what I needed to end the week. I hope they do more with sexy romcoms.

That's it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Academic Challenge, a novella that puts a teaching assistant and a professor on the path to a happy ending.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Holly Patz, the newest TA for Professor Sam Ingali, wants to enjoy the experience. But when rumors start swirling about her relationship with the handsome instructor, she has to decide whether to stick around and become his latest conquest or turn the odds in her favor.

And a snippety peek…

Holly tilted her head to one side. "I think you need to switch the first section with the third." She straightened and met Sam's gaze, trying to gauge his reaction.

His shoulders slumped a little. "I wondered about that. But the chronological events line up better with this version." He sat in the chair at the corner of the couch.

Holly gave a slow nod. "True, but you're also trying to get the class to think critically. If you present the information in order of importance then ask them to describe how the timeline set this series of dominoes up for the fall, they'll walk away with a better understanding of how everything shakes out." She untucked her legs and stretched out her kinked muscles.

Sam leaned back. "Damn … you're right. Pushing the class to think outside the lines will open up their thought processes." He grabbed his glass of wine then sent her an appreciative look. "Thank you. This has been a big help." He drained the glass.

Holly inclined her chin. "You did the hard work. I only tweaked things a little." She didn't want to bask under the praise too much, but the compliment warmed her.

Sam shook his head. "That's exactly what I'd hoped for. You're a terrific sounding board." He reached and grasped her palm.

Holly squeezed his fingers. "I do aim to please." Her lips quirked. "Once I figure out what not to do, the rest falls into place pretty easily." She loved the easy way his smile flashed.

Sam kept hold of her hand, his thumb rubbing circles on her wrist. "You catch on quick and I appreciate it."

Since he didn't seem to be in a hurry to leave, Holly pushed the envelope a little. "Another glass of wine?" She got up and grabbed her glass.

Sam gave her a long, level look. "We finished the bottle and half of another. I shouldn't have more if I'm going to drive home."

Holly took the opportunity he presented. "So, don't go home. Spend the night here." She walked into the kitchen area, hoping he'd follow.

He did. While she poured two more glasses, he put his hands on her shoulders. Waiting until she'd finished, he turned her to face him.

His gaze searched hers. "Are you sure about this? I didn't ask for your help so you'd invite me to stay." His palms slid up to cup her face.

Holly did a gut check. After their banter-filled introduction, she honestly expected something to happen between them the very first week. While not disappointed they'd taken longer to act on the attraction, she wanted to see where things went.

She liked him. A lot.

Good looks combined with keen intelligence? Her catnip. And the way his voice sounded when he got rolling on a passionate topic … Whoo boy.

Sam stroked a thumb along her jawline. "Holly?"

She put her hands on his hips. "I'm sure, Sam. I'm very sure." To seal the deal, she raised her chin and met his lips with hers.

Sam has a reputation but Holly's not going to let that deter her from forming her own opinion. This story is so much fun to write.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment