Sunday, April 30, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Just Do It Already

Well, April still feels like a mix of winter and summer but not spring. We have hot days then plummet back to cold. I’m hoping May evens it out and we hold steady for a while.

Had a crazy-busy week with work. More projects coming in hot and needing immediate attention. I’m so happy that all of them are absolutely fun and exciting to work on. I love them!

I did have very limited time for viewing this week. I don’t mind the trade off, because I usually have an old standby on in the background like Perry Mason, Columbo, or Murder, She Wrote.

I did finish up Strangest Things and I ended up enjoying the episode.

I also caught another episode in my great rewatch of Battlestar Galactica. This upcoming week, we’re going with a double header to round out season one.

I’ll be starting a new episode of The Mandalorian later tonight.

I also got to listen to my daughter’s radio show. It’s finals week and they get to choose their music. My daughter and her co-DJ picked seventies hits for their time slot. And they made great choices if I do say so. And I do.

That’s pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight’s post is from Just Do It Already, a sexy short that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here’s the mini-blurb:

On an annual get together with a group of friends, Minnie Roberts gets her chance to test the waters with Reuben Harper who's had a string of bad luck with the dating pool. Reuben is blind to Minnie's interest, and she catches him off guard when she suggests a strings-free weekend with each other.

And a snippety peek…

Minnie decided to pull Reuben out of his shell—kicking and screaming if necessary. "Give me two shots of lemon vodka." Something sour to match his disposition.

The bartender deftly poured two glasses and slid them over.

She smiled her thanks, grabbed the glasses, and headed for the table where Reuben sat alone, still sulking the night away.

She placed the shot in front of him. "Drink up. My treat." She settled onto the chair next to him.

Reuben gave her a startled look. "Thought you were meeting the crew outside." His finger traced the rim of the glass.

Minnie shrugged. "I'll make it out there at some point. Right now, you and I are going to do these"—she picked up her tumbler and raised her brows—"and you're not going to leave me hanging."

Reuben's lips quirked. "Fine. But just the one." He raised his shot and tossed it back then sputtered when the tangy lemon hit his taste buds.

Minnie drank hers down with a chuckle.

Reuben's mouth puckered. "You could've warned me." He shook his head then grabbed his water, diluting the lemon taste.

Minnie nodded. "True. But you kind of needed a taste of your own medicine. You've been a true downer since you walked in the door of the rental." Not that she didn't understand, but his vibe had everyone on a downturn.

Reuben narrowed his gaze. "You're not gonna start, too, are you?" He shoved the glass to the middle of the table.

Minnie held up a hand. "Not really. This isn't about ribbing you. More like offering some friendly advice." She might get slapped back, but she'd make an effort.

The timing would never be this good again.

Reuben put his forearms on the table. "Okay, let's hear it."

She slid her gaze sideways, then leaned in closer to him. "Get some, Rueb. You need it." She patted his shoulder.

He huffed out a breath. "Oh really? What makes you say that?" His brows arched.

Minnie rolled her eyes. "You're kidding, right? You're cranky and driving everyone crazy." She pitched her voice lower. "Get laid. It'll make everyone happy. Believe me." Okay, everyone but her, depending on how things went.

Reuben schooled his features. "I'll think about it." He leaned back and folded his arms over his chest.

Minnie blinked. "What's to think about? This bar is full of exciting prospects. All you have to do is choose one." She waved her hand toward the main floor.

Reuben cast his gaze in the direction she indicated then grunted. "I have standards, Minn."

She bit her cheek, a flutter of hope sparking in her veins. "You're missing the point." And at least two blondes, a brunette, and a cute girl with a blue pixie cut.

Reuben met her gaze. "Not really. I don't have to overthink it, but I do have to be attracted to someone before making a move." He glanced away and toyed with the napkin.

Minnie tilted her head. "Hmm. Okay then." She debated for less than a second before she put herself out there. "What about me?"

Reuben's head snapped back up. "What about you?"

She straightened and squared her shoulders. "Am I not up to your standards?" Her heart hammered a little because his answer could sting.

He blinked. "Wait. What? Are you suggesting…" He motioned between them.

Minnie lifted her chin. "I'm putting it out there." And really hoping not to get stomped on.

Reuben cocked his head. "Okay, why?"

He didn't sound disinterested or freaked out. A good sign. But how to answer?

The truth usually worked well. "Look, I've always found you hot. But we've been friends for a long time, and you've never expressed an interest."

His eyebrows shot up. "I could say the same about you."

Her lips twitched. "The hot part or the interested part?"

His lips curled. "Let's go with both." He sobered. "But the whole friends thing could get complicated."

She wouldn't let this opportunity slip by. "Look, it doesn't have to be anything more than a hookup. You know, helping a friend out…" And hopefully not getting wrecked in the process.

I love how Minnie is willing to go for it even if she fears having her heart slightly bruised. Reuben better tread carefully…


 

That’s it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment