Sunday, January 14, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Photo Ops

Brrrr. It's cold outside. Thankfully, we only lost power once during the first gusty windstorm and didn't lose it all while the wind howled over the last three days. And I can live with a couple of inches of snow. Not a huge fan of temperatures in the teens but layers help when I have to take the dogs out.

Had a super-busy work week and I'm thrilled to have my calendar filling up with projects. I like to stay steady because it keeps me motivated and focused. When I have too much free time I get lost in a haze.

Not a bad week for viewing. I made a full circuit through my regular shows minus the rewatch of Battlestar Galactica. The power blip caused a delay there.

Started the week with My Life Is Murder and enjoyed the episode. The mystery ended up being pretty decent.

Caught the second half of Agatha Raisin and thoroughly enjoyed. The cast really hits on all cylinders and even though I miss James, I love the vibe of these characters.

Started a new two-part Silent Witness. I'm kind of happy to see Jack's familial issues. His brother is a piece of work and I'm interested to see where things go with him. Rather like the new colleague. Looking forward to seeing how she fits in.

Watched another episode of Death in Paradise. I didn't really remember this one so I enjoyed it. Fun to see the commissioner on the suspect board.

Caught another episode of Elementary and quite liked the way Sherlock ended up being on the outs with both Joan and the captain. Fun episode.

Enjoyed another episode of The Batman. I'm nearing the end of the first season and all the players are established for the most part. And the episodes are holding up fairly well.

Watched another episode of Classic Rugrats. I didn't remember either of the vignettes so really enjoyed watching both.

Finished out the first season of The Secret Life of Amy Benson. I'm intrigued and interested in how things are going to play out in the next season, which I'll probably start this week.

Also managed to finish the episode of VIP that I started last week. Looking forward to a new one this week if time permits.

That's it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Photo Ops, a novella that pits the main characters against each other in a fun oneupmanship plot.

Here's the miniblurb:

When Mace McKenna decides not to participate in the annual Officers of the City charity calendar photo shoot, Nina Dean won't let up until he caves. But when Nina loses a bet and has to pose for the women's version, she soon discovers Mace is the orchestrator of the whole thing.

And a snippety peek…

Nina frowned at the caller ID and answered her phone on the third ring. "Misha, what's up?" He wouldn't be calling with good news.

He cut right to the chase. "McKenna's being his usual hard-assed self and refusing to participate in the fundraiser."

Nina blinked. "You got the go ahead already? I thought you were calling to say the council shot the idea down." Her day looked brighter.

Misha snorted. "I told you getting the shoot would be easy. The not easy part is getting your superior officer to get on board."

Nina sighed. "Yeah … that figures." Hard ass talked a big game about boosting morale yet wouldn't do his fair share.

And she needed to make this happen. Not only to serve Mace a little payback but also because she wanted to help raise money for the charity.

Being able to dedicate a full month to staring at Mace added a nice layer of icing on top.

Misha huffed out a breath. "Got any ideas? This kind of doesn't work without him. He's supposed to be the face of the campaign."

Nina shuffled through several possible solutions in her mind. "You know, I think I just might." She landed on one that should do the trick.

Misha grunted. "Care to share?"

Nina's lips curved. "Maybe only the barest of details." She loved to string her friend along.

Misha made a disgusted sound. "Nina, I need something here. If you can't get him on board, I've gotta start looking for someone else to be the face of this campaign."

Nina rolled her eyes. "Misha, have I ever let you down? And we're not counting the time I fixed you up with Brenna Shoults." She did not get the matchmaking gene.

Misha didn't relent. "Seriously … how do you plan to make the man cave and show up for this charity photo op?"

Nina grinned. "My plan is simple and, quite frankly, the only logical thing to do." She paused for effect and to drive Misha mad. "I'm going to use his own words against him."

Misha laughed. "Oh … he's going to love that."

Nina doubted Mace would appreciate her twisted appeal to his better nature but didn't care at the moment.

She had to get him to participate in the fundraising campaign.

Nina has the perfect strategy to bring Mace on board for the shoot, but he's not above turning the tables at all.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment