Sunday, August 11, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Ugly Drunk

August is being very mercurial. Instead of sweltering hot temps, which we did have last week, we've got—I'm not kidding—almost fall-like weather. I had to put a jacket on last night to take the dogs out. Granted, it was still sixty degrees, but we had a strong breeze blowing and it was chilly. Please note, I'm not complaining. But … does this mean Ohio will have blazing hot temperatures in October? Probably.

Super-busy work week again. Finished up the mystery manuscript copy edit. Started a proofread of a memoir on a prominent thoroughbred racing family. I still have two other memoirs in the wings, one of which should start this week. I also have a romance to copy edit. I love being busy!

But … that means I didn't have a lot of time for viewing television. I did, however, find out one of my favorite actors has a new movie coming out in September and might have watched the trailer two or three (okay, more like twelve) times. I'm excited because this movie will totally be my shit and I now have something to look forward to in a month or so.

I finished up the My Life Is Murder episode I started last week. Again, a fun episode where Madison got to shine. I love this cast so much.

I also started the new series of Signora Volpe. This is another series I thoroughly enjoy. Emilia Fox is iconic for her role in Silent Witness and it's so lovely to see her doing something new and fresh and very unlike Nikki.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Ugly Drunk, a novella that brings a couple together over a loss.

Here's the miniblurb:

Pippa Rice is a problem solver and when she takes a job at a local watering hole, her natural skill defuses quite a few tricky situations. Too bad she can't quite figure out how to fix her boss, Wood Finnian. The guy has more baggage than an airport, but Pippa isn't one to give up on people, ever.

And a snippety peek…

Holy shit. She could get so lost in his embrace she'd forget her own name. The sweep of powerful want and need almost took her breath away.
When they had their first make-out session, Wood didn't really go deep, even though the kisses were packed with heat. This time he did. Except … his emotions were all open and raw, and they informed everything he did at the moment. How much of Wood's onslaught on her lips tangled up in his grief?
Dammit.
She hated to do this, but … she tore her mouth from his then stepped back. "Wait. Slow down." She dragged air into her lungs. "Slow down." She spoke to her heart as much as she did to him.
He backed away and held up his hands. "Sorry. Got carried away. Seem to do that with you." His mouth curved with a wry twist.
She nodded. "Yeah. Same." She fanned her face. "I'd love to jump right in, but like I said … you have the power to break me. I need to be sure." And she couldn't be … not so close to Ward's death.
Wood reached out for her. "I don't want to break you, Pip. I want to build something." He snorted. "Which probably sounds stupid coming from me, considering my penchant for destruction." His thumb brushed over her kiss-stung lower lip.
She shook her head. "No. It doesn't sound stupid. But … is it the loss that makes you say you want to build something? Are you looking for a replacement?" Because she couldn't be that for him.
Wood opened his mouth then checked himself. "Honestly? I don't think so, but I can't be one hundred percent right now." His brows furrowed.
Pippa smiled. "Good answer. I would've called bullshit if you said anything else." She grasped his hips and tugged him forward.
Wood rested his forehead against hers. "Where does that leave us?" His voice rasped against her ear.
Pippa rolled a shoulder. "Right now? It leaves us with a chance." A solid one, she hoped.

Excited to see where this one goes. So far, it's on track, but the sages often throw me curve balls.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin 

No comments:

Post a Comment