Sunday, August 4, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Twenty-Four-Hour Pass

Man, July felt like a decade but it actually kind of flew by. August is off to a running start and it's hot temperature-wise, which is the norm for rural central Ohio. We've had some big storms move through, too.

My inbox is jammed with work projects and that makes me happy! I'm working on a mystery for a copy edit. I have a developmental edit on a memoir. There's a possible copy edit of another memoir in the wings and some research for another author. I also sent the next set of chapters on a developmental edit to the author for review. I love being busy.

I didn't get a lot watched this week. I started an episode of My Life Is Murder but have to finish it. I also haven't been able to get back to the episode of Elementary I started two weeks ago. I don't know … I'm not as into this episode and I'm struggling to finish it. Maybe I should skip to the next one.

I did have a fairly good week of writing, which also limits my screentime. I got a big scene written for one of my WIPs and a few smaller ones for a couple of other works in progress. All in all a good week!

That's it for the life update. Tonight's post is from Twenty-Four-Hour Pass, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the miniblurb:

Teegan Alexander and Fyffe Campbell rarely work in the same location. When an event puts them in the same city at the same time, they take advantage of the situation and use a twenty-four-hour pass for a long overdue reunion.

And a snippety peek…

Teegan Alexander's phone vibrated with an incoming text. "Crap. This better not be a message saying my flight's delayed." She'd been in the air more than out for five days.
She moved to the side of the wide causeway and glanced at the screen. She smiled wide. A text from Fyffe Campbell. Is he working the conference with the mayors from the nation's biggest cities?
Swiping the icon, she quickly read the message. "Hey Teeg. I've got 24 hours after the Boston conference before I have to report to an undisclosed location for another job. I'd love to hook up if you have time."
Luckily, she did. She also had a one-day window before she had to fly out for her next assignment. More than she often got during the busy summer months when security firms were in high demand for both outdoor events and inside venues.
Filled with anticipation, she sent a quick reply. "Hell yes. We'll figure out the details after the briefing in Boston." She added a heart-eyes emoji.
Twenty-four hours with Fyffe.
More than two months had gone by since she'd last seen him. Fyffe usually ran a shadow team if a credible threat came in, and they'd received one about the Boston conference. She shouldn't be surprised he got the call to work the summit meeting, even if the mayors were only supposed to talk about green energy benefits. Some rando had a burr up their ass about conspiracy theories and wanted to stop the progress. Who thinks saving the planet is a bad idea?
Teegan grabbed the handle of her roll-on suitcase and headed for her gate. "Twenty-four hours with Fyffe." She couldn't wait.
Even though they worked for the same private security firm, they often went in opposite directions. Hired in at the same time five years ago, they went through a rigorous training program and became fast friends … with benefits. Two years later, they were exclusive, even if they spent a lot of time apart.
She missed him. His killer smile. His wit. And … mmm … the hard body that made her drool.
The conference next week gave her time to primp a little. She could do a spa afternoon at the hotel, get a haircut, and generally make herself gorgeous to blow Fyffe's mind.
Getting in line to board the plane, she opened the hotel app and started scrolling to make plans.

Literally just started this one and I'm excited to see where the characters take me.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment